Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You live in Alaska year round or part of the year?
Yes 17 80.95%
No 4 19.05%
Hate Snow 0 0%
Enjoy the split living locations 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM

811 posts, read 1,317,709 times

Advertisements

I been wondering this for a while as you see some people with 2 locations in there heading. Been thinking of buying some land and build a cabin an live up there in the summer/fall then fly south unless I love the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
We live here year round, but I work out of state so the last 2 years I've been half and half. Maybe even out of state more than in this last 6 months.
Looks like the Mrs has been accepted into a University on Long Island, so we will be heading that way this days off to look for a house or apartment to rent. But we will keep our house and cabin here, as we will be making ski trips etc back home.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We live here year round, but I work out of state so the last 2 years I've been half and half. Maybe even out of state more than in this last 6 months.
Looks like the Mrs has been accepted into a University on Long Island, so we will be heading that way this days off to look for a house or apartment to rent. But we will keep our house and cabin here, as we will be making ski trips etc back home.
Congrat's to Sweden!!! love NY city and Long Island area...be sure to find your way over to City Island some day....beautiful place!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
No offence to snowbirds - the attraction of the lifestyle is easy to see - but you don't "live" here if you leave for the winter. Period. Experiencing the explosion of energy in May and June just wouldn't feel right without the slow months which are the source of all that pent up energy.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
My ex went to Hofstra University.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I believe Sweden will be going to CW Post or something. I'm not real keen on moving. But we discussed all this before we ever got married and we knew it was coming. It's going to be a shock to my system tho.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
No offence to snowbirds - the attraction of the lifestyle is easy to see - but you don't "live" here if you leave for the winter. Period. Experiencing the explosion of energy in May and June just wouldn't feel right without the slow months which are the source of all that pent up energy.

I agree. I've been a resident of Oregon ever since I stopped spending winters up there. Funny thing is though, I prefer the winters in Alaska to the summers. In SE the weather is often nicer in Jan/Feb/March than it is in July and August, and I really like the cold and clear days in the interior during winter.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
there is a C.W. Post College in Brookville NY...just 20 miles outside of NY city and such a gorgeous old stone building campus!...lot and lots to photography there Rance!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Gah Rance, I can't imagine how you must be feeling about that. I haven't even been yet, but there are so many people on here who say that they cried when they got on the plane to leave (after just a visit, that is), or etc. etc. I can't imagine, after living there all your life, how that's gonna feel.

Hell, I'm absolutely DREADING the day that I have to pick up and leave these mountains. I have loved my time here, and leaving is going to be one of the hardest things I will have to do regarding this move. Especially the particular mountain I live on right now, it's my own personal paradise...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
I believe Sweden will be going to CW Post or something. I'm not real keen on moving. But we discussed all this before we ever got married and we knew it was coming. It's going to be a shock to my system tho.
Named after the cereal dude. Yep, it'll be a change. It's one crowded place. I have a good friend who went here Paul Smith's College - The College of the Adirondacks, see if you can get your wife to change her mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska