Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandog View Post
I completely agree about the image. Completely!! But give it time it will be another breed prob. The mastiff breed. And then they will be doomed. It will never end me and people like myself have suffered for the fault of stupid people and there ego issuies. There the ones that should have been euthanized.
Pure-bred Mastiffs involved in dog-bite related fatalities in the US between 1979 and 1996 = 0

Source: Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I completely agree about the image. Completely!! But give it time it will be another breed prob. The mastiff breed. And then they will be doomed. It will never end me and people like myself have suffered for the fault of stupid people and there ego issuies. There the ones that should have been euthanized.

You have an obvious chip on your shoulder concerning your "breed of choice". Poor little you and your persecution complex. All the big bad landlords who won't rent to you and your dogs. I wouldn't either and I'm one of those who would just as soon rent a place to people with pets. But why should I pay more money for insurance because of your "breed of choice"? By the way you're an idjit of the first order for allowing your child to straddle a dog of ANY breed like that. Parents who refuse to properly educate their children on the treatment of animals are a huge part of this entire problem and I'm sure that the parents of a little darling who was bitten in the face by the family pit while they were driving through Anchorage with no provocation would agree with me.

Please do us all a favor and don't bring your nursing "skills" to the great state of Alaska, provided they even exist. If they do, your language "skills" are a sorry testament to the state of education in this country.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-09-2011 at 11:41 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
It's not the breed. It's the kind of people who tend to buy them. Same goes for Rotties, Dobermans, Shepherds. People who want dogs for fighting or for protection don't buy Golden Retrievers or Dalmations. If people like Michael Vick bought and trained killer Labradors, that's the image Laina1980 would have of Labradors. AmStaffs are powerful so if you train one to be a fighter, it will be an exceptional fighter. Similarly, if you raise one to be a good-mannered, happy, tail-wagging friend, that's exactly what he'll be. I've become close to several Pits and they are all adorable, sweet hearts and meek as they can be.

It's an image problem. Nothing more.
It's an "image problem" that...unfortunately, the stats back up. Michael Vick could have taken up knitting as a hobby and the problem would still exist.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 AM

164 posts, read 282,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
It's not the breed. It's the kind of people who tend to buy them. Same goes for Rotties, Dobermans, Shepherds. People who want dogs for fighting or for protection don't buy Golden Retrievers or Dalmations. If people like Michael Vick bought and trained killer Labradors, that's the image Laina1980 would have of Labradors. AmStaffs are powerful so if you train one to be a fighter, it will be an exceptional fighter. Similarly, if you raise one to be a good-mannered, happy, tail-wagging friend, that's exactly what he'll be. I've become close to several Pits and they are all adorable, sweet hearts and meek as they can be.

It's an image problem. Nothing more.
There is a lot of gray when it comes to pitbulls. Not all pitbulls are blood thirsty attack dogs, and not all pitbulls are adorable, meek, sweet hearts. Certain breeds tend to be more aggressive by nature, and pitbulls are one of them. The statistics don't lie. And it doesn't matter whether they are "number one" for attacking people or not. The fact is there are a high number of pitbull attacks every year, and one should think very hard before getting a pitbull for a pet...especially if they have children.

My friend got a pitbull from a rescue group. She was thrown out of a moving car when she was a puppy. I think she suffered brain damage. She was probably the strangest dog I've ever met. She would sit and stare at you for what felt like hours. She wasn't being aggressive--she would just stare with her tongue hanging out and her head cocked to the side. She would also get stuck in the corners of rooms a lot. Poor thing. God rest her soul.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 AM

15 posts, read 13,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You have an obvious chip on your shoulder concerning your "breed of choice". Poor little you and your persecution complex. All the big bad landlords who won't rent to you and your dogs. I wouldn't either and I'm one of those who would just as soon rent a place to people with pets. But why should I pay more money for insurance because of your "breed of choice"? By the way you're an idjit of the first order for allowing your child to straddle a dog of ANY breed like that. Parents who refuse to properly educate their children on the treatment of animals are a huge part of this entire problem and I'm sure that the parents of a little darling who was bitten in the face by the family pit while they were driving through Anchorage with no provocation would agree with me.

Please do us all a favor and don't bring your nursing "skills" to the great state of Alaska, provided they even exist. If they do, your language "skills" are a sorry testament to the state of education in this country.
Oh sweetie... I have bought my own place within 8 years I will own it WHILE living in Alaska. I WILL ALWAYS own pits and I'm obviously doing something right because my pit bull is 9 and both kids are alive and well you enjoy working at Burger king asking if they want fries with that and cleaning **** stains from behind your couch from your choice of yapper dog and me and my family THATS INCLUDING MY FOUR LEGGED KIDS we will continue to live fabulous and who knows.... I may save your life one day.

Last edited by alaskandog; 12-10-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Pure-bred Mastiffs involved in dog-bite related fatalities in the US between 1979 and 1996 = 0

Source: Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996
Lol. Ok I never said anything about fatalities concerning mastiffs but because thugs etc want a dog that's big. Intimidating and powerful bites. Mastiffs have the capability of attacks with there jaw power. They've already started breeding neopolitian mastiffs with this breed! Mastiffs will be next when people get bored with pit bulls.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's an "image problem" that...unfortunately, the stats back up. Michael Vick could have taken up knitting as a hobby and the problem would still exist.
Michael vicks dogs were rehabilitated and some even became therapy dogs. Out of the many only 3 or 4 were put down. Big bad vicious babies. Lol

Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Quote:
Mastiffs will be next when people get bored with pit bulls.
That will never happen. There are way too many breeds that are "mastiff", Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Great Pyrenees, and all the 'named' mastiff's.
There is a reason they are all called 'gentle giants', because they are.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Oh sweetie... I have bought my own place within 8 years I will own it WHILE living in Alaska. I WILL ALWAYS own pits and I'm obviously doing something right because my pit bull is 9 and both kids are alive and well you enjoy working at Burger king asking if they want fries with that and cleaning **** stains from behind your couch from your choice of yapper dog and me and my family THATS INCLUDING MY FOUR LEGGED KIDS we will continue to live fabulous and who knows.... I may save your life one day.
I posted a pic of my dog a few posts back. She is a 11 yr old mixed pit; what she is mixed with I'm not sure. I have no intentions of defending her breed, it is useless, and I really don't care what other say. Before her we had a pedigree Pit. But I love all dog breeds. It just so happened I owned this particular breed. During my life I have owned all kinds of breeds including my favorite, mutts.

What I wanted to set you straight on is little yappers. I always had big dogs until I found a little Pekinese years ago. She's gone now but she sure gave joy. I since had a peke I rescued from our animal shelter; he was pretty old and lived a year and a half. The one we have now is about 4 yrs old, we got her when she was 11 mos old. The owner couldn't keep her and the idiot was going to put her to sleep.

Yea, she yaps and the big dogs roar when they bark, she gets on the couch but she sure doesn't do any damage. She is a joy; little dogs have very distinct personalities. They are funny with their napoleonic ways. And they are very intelligent. So don't discount a dog because they aren't a pit.

Here she is in her 'just awoke' mode and 'what do you want' for goodness sakes...

Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
That will never happen. There are way too many breeds that are "mastiff", Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Great Pyrenees, and all the 'named' mastiff's.
There is a reason they are all called 'gentle giants', because they are.
And you forget, they try to be 'lap' dogs LOL ... yes they are gentle giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska