Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Married1221 View Post
My husband left me and his children after 40 years of marriage to move and live in
Alaska. It was a childhood dream of his...he left everything he knew in the lower 48 to move and work in the airplane field. He ended up getting married to a woman that bumped into him at a bar. He was new meat and she made sure she hung on to him. He enjoys the bragging rights of telling people he lives in Alaska. It gets an immediate Wow.....with people wanting to know all about it. I know Alaska is a beautiful state....but we have many beautiful things and places in the lower 48. he has told me...things are really different here.... I guess my point is be careful what you wish for. And do plenty of research.

Maybe you and the children shoulda gone with him. Though I'm thinking after 40 years of marriage your kids shoulda been grown and outta the house.

It happens a lot to both men and women. We all left our mining camp on Friday afternoon planning to stay in Nome until Sunday evening. When we got ready to go back Fred was missing. We searched all over Nome for him. Monday morning we reported him missing to the Troopers in Nome. His wife started calling them cause he didn't call her as expected.(pre cell phone days).

Apparently his wife was very presistent as the Troopers came out to the claim to interview us and collect his belongings. Long story short is that he met a native gal over at the old Polaris Bar. She and some others were staying in a fish camp out by Safety and he decided to spend the rest of the summer out there with her. After fishing season was over she went back to Savoonga with a new white guy in tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,722 times
At the time that this happened..my son was 10 my daughter was 18. I had to be a mom. He would go to Alaska for work for the summer. So my kids were not out of the house. I do wish I went with but it was not possible at he time. He informed me he was divorcing me in an e-mail. And married her 1 day after our divorce was final.
We talk often. She cheated on him before they were married for 1 year, but he is still with her. He wants to stay living in Alaska. He has been working and has not had the chance to do the hunting, fishing etc. that the state has to offer. He isal ways working. He has also turned into a "house" husband as he does the dishes, the laundry, chops the wood etc. She makes more money than he does.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:14 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
What about high cost of living in Alaska though? Groceries..Cigs...Apt rents? I also hear there's not enough single women to go around. Sounds gorgeous up there, but awful expensive and lonely.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 4,722 times
My ex found a job first....then found a woman to marry... or should I say she found him....divorced me. She makes more money than he does and is well established. I think if you have two good incomes it is easier...but the struggle is real.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Wow, this thread really had legs. Whoever started it must be a really cool guy

Old 03-29-2017, 11:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Have to get my ears checked, I'm hearing horns.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
Why do people want to come to Alaska? Probably the same reason people like me who live in a warm sandy place find the Alaska threads interesting. It's beautiful and different. I watch all the Alaskan TV shows. But I'm not coming...I know I'm not rugged enough for your state.

My cousin lives up there 1/2 - 1/3 of the year. She has other homes in Florida and in virginia. Her DH says if he could pick one place to stay all the time it would be Alaska. He likes how laid back the people are and the freedom to just do and be whatever they want there.

It's beautiful, but I know I couldn't take the cold or the darkness.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
It's beautiful, but I know I couldn't take the cold or the darkness.
You should come for a visit in the summer...

Old 03-31-2017, 10:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Speaking of the TV shows............Alaska State Troopers sure doesn't cast Alaska in a favorable light.

Making arrests in trashy areas with mobile homes falling down and trash every where.

Drugs,drugs, drugs

Old 03-31-2017, 02:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
You are not an Alaskan until you have at least ten things covered with blue tarps in your yard. You can get away with only 5 if the house has Tyvek showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska