Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM

339 posts, read 588,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The MatSu Valley or the Kenai Peninsula sound like it would fit what you are looking for. I think I would highly recommend a week long trip to come up, rent a car and take a look at these areas. Maybe arrange a meeting with a Realtor to look at some possible options. You can also use the MLS site: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com .
Don't buy property here in Alaska without looking at it first.

Shhhhh Stop recommending the Penn. Trying to keep it a secret. I am on the Penn, outside Kasilof and it is great. Long drive to Anc but still nice. Might be better in Mat-Su with kids that are not used to isolation. My nearest neighbor is pretty far. Then there is the matter of being off-grid, as in nothing but wood for anything unless you pack it in. Well do use some solar --very little-- for laptop use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
wow...how the heck did you make that much money on active duty? were you like a 4 star General?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurf Herder113 View Post
Remote - nearest nieghbors 10 -20 miles away nearest town 30-40 miles road system is a plus
Buisness - can go anywhere
budget - $500,000 - 5.5 Mil

Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
You may be on the right track with the Mat-Su Valley.(Wasilla and Palmer) I lived there for 6.5 years and everyday was like being on vacation. There are awesome places you could go. Wasilla/Palmer now have just about everything that ANC has. Box stores and everything you need. Playgrounds for kids, pools and stuff like that... Willow, Talkeetna and Petersville area are a little more remote but since you won't have to commute that shouldn't be a problem. The views of Denali are amazing from Willow and Talkeetna. There's lots of land in that area. I would suggest that you go stay in that area, meet the people (they are wonderful) and they will be good to you just don't go flashing your money or acting like a snob. ( they don't like that ) There's a nice bed and breakfast on Petersville road so you could explore the area. GO!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT.....

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,275 times
Many (most) of the locations that are listed as remote are accessible only by air and/or water, or sometimes 4-wheeler in summer/snow machine in winter. That's after the drive or flight to the general area. Some less remote areas you may drive to but there are few or no utilities. As well, some areas have no property tax and thus no service (road, fire, police); of those, there are areas with an annual fire service fee you can pay for fire service -- if there is something set up in the area.
I have friends with a very remote cabin they first drive to a jumping off point, then 4-wheel it several miles in over a trail that heads up and over a mountain. With a lake nearby they have solar that works very intermittently and rely mostly on a small generator - that is mostly for the pump that draws from the lake in event of a fire. They have quite a system for ferrying in all they need for the time they are there - from food to fuel. Keep in mind that you will have to fly or carry in everything you want at your location; building projects take a great deal of patience and perseverance!
The Alaska Land Auction may be a good jumping off point for you Alaska Land Offerings ... but there are other areas outside SouthCentral (Homer, Kenai, Anchorage, Wasilla). The Interior, while colder and dryer also includes Delta Junction, which is a fantastic area for growing food; less famous than the Mat-Su Valley but some excellent crops are grown there. Southeast is like another state, and includes many island communities such as Juneau (city), Sitka, Kodiak and smaller places too. The Bush is about any dot on the map that has no road to it - those are unique living areas and probably not what you are looking for at this time; but worth a visit at some point. Then there are road system towns like Glennallen, Tok, Cordova, Valdez - and fly-in places like Nome, Bethel, Barrow...they are all wonderful places for visits but very different so it's not a cut and dried choice to actually reside there. And as was already mentioned, this state is a huge, huge place so it might be in your best interest to come on and spend some time to see what suits you....any time in Alaska is time well-spent. I consider myself to have won the lottery of life by getting to spend my whole life here, with my folks, and my sons, and now their children.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurf Herder113 View Post
Hello to all Alaskans,

I am trying to find out where a good place is in Alaska to move to and live in. I have two little girls my Wife and a dog. We want to be in a some what remote area but not to remote. And maybe on some lakefront property where there is room to grow and build a House with anywhere from 10-100 acres. We love the outdoors and wildlife to the fullest and want our two youngest to experiece it as they grow up. Dont need to worry about employment as we own our own buisness. we love camping hunting fishing riding our horses and love our snowmobiles. But i have only been up there for a short time (about six hours) while returning home from a deployment with the army and i dont know the state at all other than it is just amazing and beautiful. So if you could since you live there and are from the state and know it way better than i ever could i am looking for some advice please and thank you for your time.
bob?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM

My place I consider "remote". Can't get there by car, plane or boat, It's snowmachine or ATV. There are roads on the plot map that in reality do not exist. No utilities. Closest neighbor? Hmmm pretty far away. Plus side; once I get out of there I can drive to Kenai in a short, if nice weather, time. I keep saying don't mention the Penn but in reality there are properties there that meet my conditions for "remote"

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Heck a place in the black hills of South Dakota, Colorado Rockies, or Montana would be closer to civilization but still remote with road access. With that kind of budget and ability to move anywhere I'd be like a kid in a candy store, probably picking somewhere along the coast of Oregon near Brookings, or perhaps a lakeshore house along lake Michigan, Superior, or Erie. The sky would be the limit. But not Alaska, I prefer warm(er) weather. Somewhere along a lake effect snowbelt in the great lakes would make for great fun too. At that price point for me beach front property along an ocean or one of the great lakes would be a must.

Here's one I stumbled upon, though maybe not as remote as you'd like

http://listings.listhub.net/pages/SA...hannel=hotpads

and another

http://www.cbgreatlakes.com/102028297

Last edited by sholomar; 08-22-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 AM

The year I transferred to Elmendorf the Dakotas were colder and had a lot more snow. My recruiter had been transferred there and I asked him who he pissed off. That was the same winter my dad said Daytona got snow! And, of course, was colder than Anc also.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

89 posts, read 340,178 times
Remote to me is off grid! No power! Most places I know of in Alaska that have power available,have people closer than 10 miles and most likely 1 mile.
If you don't mind living off grid,learn to fly and get a plane. It will open up a lot more possibilities for you!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,298 times
Hello,

I am planning on moving to Alaska soon with my husband, once we both obtain employment.
Let us know if you need help with your business!
I would love to work from home and hang out in my cabin. Our son is currently in the Army stationed at Fort Hood. He has been deployed to Iraq. He is now being deployed to Afghanistan on 11/5/2012. Thanks for your service !!
Thanks,
Balisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska