Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

In August I'm bringing a vehicle to a client in Alaska from Colorado (driving through BC). I'd As for bringing freight or guns, what's the process here?

I'm hauling a Hummer H1 to Alaska, no freight scheduled yet for the return trip. For the way up there I'd like to pack the trailer full with freight to bring as well......will they ask if this is for resale, ask to see purchace receipt, ask who owns it, etc?

Also, what's the bets place to look for someone needing freight moved south for the return trip other than uship.com? I'm not a commercial truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
For getting a shipment back, you could try Craigslist or just keep on eye on this forum for someone looking for moving info around that time.

For the drive up, I'd recommend getting a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the essential guide to the drive.

I've come up in a uHaul full of someone else's stuff. I had a letter from them saying it was okay for me to transport it, but the border guys didn't even ask for it.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
There are good links in the sticky posted by Rance. key points to remember is that if you have ever been arrested for anything or have a DUI you will not be allowed to enter in most cases. Guns -ship them to the address or make arrangements with the local gun shop -no need to try to enter with them.

" Any weapons or alcohol?"

"No"

"Have a safe trip, sir"

Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
If you don't own the vehicle be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Since you are not a commercial shipper and don't know all the fovrms you need, you might want to call Canada customs and find out what you need ahead of time. At a minimum a signed notarized letter giving you permission to move their belongings through Canada with dates would be a good idea. I don't know them as I never brought anything in I did not own or have a rental agreement on.

There are restrictions on things being brought in to Canada, such as guns, alcohol, and tobacco. This is by no means a complete list. I agree that shipping guns is a lot less of a hassle than getting permission to bring them in. They have never approved me bringing a handgun in, even a restricted one. And of course, there is a fee for each one.

Technically and depending on weight you could be considered a commercial vehicle since you moving something for a fee... In certain states my empty f350 is heavy enough to be a commercial vehicle, which is why you see 'not for hire' signs on them... You might want to brush up on your US laws too.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I have to ask what he's thinking, or planning on getting you to do. You indicate he's a "client". Not sure what that means, but you're adding stuff to the trip? Another border flag.

This "client" of yours? If he's an Alaska/mainland USA guy he should have been able to prep you. But since the vehicle isn't yours that's the first border flag that will get you extra attention. The second problem is that everything on board is going to be your responsibility. Is this client good for bail money if things don't go well? Is he an understanding guy?

I see US long haul truckers refused at the border when a handgun is found. they're turned around, load and all.
Canadian border guards aren't quite the military you see going south, and we aren't engaging in summary ten year exclusions (yet) but I'd be really well prepared.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 03-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: noted extra infor.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
This should answer many of your questions; Travel often? Apply for NEXUS - Official Web site

Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
A few points that you may not have thought about.

Does your US vehicle insurance COVER you IN CANADA ? Many US vehicle policies DO NOT.

Do you have US commercial plates on your vehicle ? If not, you may be turned back. Hauling freight in Canada, for pay, requires you to have commercial plates and proper cargo insurance on the load.

That Hummer is not yours ? You very much need a notarized letter, from the registered owner, giving you permission to move it through Canada, and the actual "registration papers " for it, with you.

Canada Border Services Agency officers may want to SEAL the trailer, so that the Hummer and anything else in the trailer, will still be there when you get to the Alaska port of entry. This is ensure that nothing is sold or left in Canada. The seal will be removed by US Customs, when you get into Alaska.

Re firearms entering Canada. Not easy. A much better idea is to ship them to Alaska, by USPS, to a registered firearms dealer up there, for pick up. Or FedEx or UPS, your choice. This completely avoids any contact with CBSA regulations.

Fuel and food purchases in Canada are easy with either a credit or debit card, and all banks in Canada have ATM's, as do many stores and fuel stops. For small amounts, use the ATM and get some Canadian cash. Be sure to tell your bank, ahead of time, that you will be travelling through Canada, so they don't cancel your card, when they see transactions in BC or the Yukon.

For phone calls, buy a long distance card, once you get into BC at a corner store. Usually the price will be $10, for a couple of hundred minutes of use. Most pay phones in Canada have a card slot for that in the front face of the phone.

Return freight ? Craigs list for the area in Alaska that you will be in. Run the ad ahead of the arrival date, to set up a south bound load. Mention your load capacity, and give a email contact address for you.

Plan to try to do your driving in day light hours. Be cautious at dawn and dusk, for animal activity on the roads. Hitting a moose will spoil your day, for sure, to say nothing about your truck.

Get the Mile Post book, before you go. Valuable information, especially for towing and or emergency services in remote places. Don't rely on a cell phone, as most places are "dead zones " unless you are right in a town.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
^^^ Excellent Post!

To that I would also add:
  1. As far a money, it may be better just to exchange a buch of Dollars up front at one time. Most CC Companies will nickel-and-dime you to death with conversion fees on every transaction in Canada.
  2. The firearm thing is a pain in the *** - it's usually easier to ship them ahead using other methods described. However you can transport up to 5000 rounds of ammo through Canada with little hassle, if that helps.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
+1 to Canadian Citizen. Described my experiences to the 'T'.

Several 'Alaskans' on this board mention that they use Alaskan Airlines Freight to ship firearms and they pick them up at a Terminal in AK... Maybe they can chime in, again? Might be worth a call to Alaska Airlines regardless.

Caveats with UPS is that they are more expensive when you ship firearms and there is a TON of red tape involved. I checked them out and decided to just leave my gun at home. One caveat after the 'forms', is that you generally have to ship to a FFL dealer. That dealer could charge a handling fee, etc... Chances are you know a gun dealer where you currently 'ARE' that would help you out, but probably don't know one where you are moving too. Also, I checked with Cabela's, Sports Authority, and Bass Pro Shops and none of them will ship a personally owned firearm from one store to another store. At least they wouldn't when I checked 2 years ago.

BTW - assume you will get searched and everything torn apart. Hopefully you won't as it is a real time waster. and you get to put it all back, they only 'remove.'

Either way, good luck, the drive is AMAZING with incredible scenery. I want to do it again so badly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska