Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
it really is a sad state of affairs, of course your a sociopath so you don't care.
You don't have to be a sociopath to decline to care that some flippin' Anchorage idjit is crying about the price of beer and pizza and threatening to leave the state if asked to pay income tax. If you had a proper brain in your head, you'd be looking for tax write-offs to take advantage of instead of bawling the blues ad flippin' nauseum because there's a slight possibility that you might be asked to part with some of your couch cushion change instead of expecting the rest of the country to support you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2013 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
The welfare of the least fortunate is extremely important to a healthy society. When they have nothing they will risk everything for a piece of your pie. Highlife put down Atlas Shrugged and study levinas for a while, we will all be the better for it.
But...the least fortunate is highlife/rrpearso and whatever other nicks he's had here. He can't afford beer or pizza, and he's forever having to dodge the child support authorities so that he can buy av-gas and pay for subscriptions to online dating sites. My heart bleeds, especially since the cruel world might force him to have to go live in some Third World style hovel by requiring Alaska residents to pay income tax.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
to think that the residents of Alaska are going to be forced to choose between moving south in droves or living in hovels with no plumbing and having to use rat-infested outhouses
Wait a furry minute! I've never had a rat infested Outhouse... Had some bears in there a few times though.... But I can see them hiding behind the catologs...

Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
The welfare of the least fortunate is extremely important to a healthy society. When they have nothing they will risk everything for a piece of your pie. Highlife put down Atlas Shrugged and study levinas for a while, we will all be the better for it.
Well the sad part about your utopian view is that close to 80% of those "Poor" people you refer to are fully able to work but prefer to sit on the welfare dole instead of working. The ones that truely need the help are lost in the system. Life isn't easy, I worked at below minimum wage, at minimum wage and eventually well above it.

You better yourself in life, if you don't then you stay at the lower levels of society. This isn't a third world Country (yet) and you have a choice.

This thread isn't about the down and out, it's about the gravey train of the pipeline ending. As Met pointed out, we also get a large amount of fed dollars as well but that too will end. Already they are trying to move the Air Force base fighters from Fairbanks to Anchorage, which that alone will be a heavy toll on the interior with the loss of some 1500 estimated well paying jobs. Not to mention it is stupid to put all your eggs in one basket. In Pearl Harbor the elete put all the planes together to make it easy to guard them. The Japanese loved it, a few passes and they had very little resistance from the air and left a massive pile of burning planes.

Alaska has always been "boom and bust", since when the Russians owned it to current. When the pipeline started it drew tens of thousands to work the pipeline like locust. When the pipeline was done, there was a mass exodus! There were some that loved the place and stayed, others hated the place and stayed due to well paying jobs but left as soon as retirement was gained.

It isn't a case of "if" the pipeline ends, but when. It won't be a planned thing, it will be all at once. I'm not going anywhere, I'll have to change my lifestyle a bit I'm sure, but this is home.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well the sad part about your utopian view is that close to 80% of those "Poor" people you refer to are fully able to work but prefer to sit on the welfare dole instead of working. The ones that truely need the help are lost in the system. Life isn't easy, I worked at below minimum wage, at minimum wage and eventually well above it.

You better yourself in life, if you don't then you stay at the lower levels of society. This isn't a third world Country (yet) and you have a choice.

This thread isn't about the down and out, it's about the gravey train of the pipeline ending. As Met pointed out, we also get a large amount of fed dollars as well but that too will end. Already they are trying to move the Air Force base fighters from Fairbanks to Anchorage, which that alone will be a heavy toll on the interior with the loss of some 1500 estimated well paying jobs. Not to mention it is stupid to put all your eggs in one basket. In Pearl Harbor the elete put all the planes together to make it easy to guard them. The Japanese loved it, a few passes and they had very little resistance from the air and left a massive pile of burning planes.

Alaska has always been "boom and bust", since when the Russians owned it to current. When the pipeline started it drew tens of thousands to work the pipeline like locust. When the pipeline was done, there was a mass exodus! There were some that loved the place and stayed, others hated the place and stayed due to well paying jobs but left as soon as retirement was gained.

It isn't a case of "if" the pipeline ends, but when. It won't be a planned thing, it will be all at once. I'm not going anywhere, I'll have to change my lifestyle a bit I'm sure, but this is home.
I agree, most of the people on the dole are capable of working but mooch of the system, met must be one of them, she also has some serious anger issues and cant seem to formulate a coherent argument, oh well. I simply dont want to pay for it, I worked hard to get where I am and I resent supporting useless bums. They are almost 50% of the population now so the govt is gonig to pander to them at the expense of the experts and professionals making good money, once it flips to 51% on the dole it will no longer be economically favorable to stay here, I think once I make that first move away from my home it will be much easier to pull anchor again to where the money is.

As far as bums having nothing to loose .... bring it we could use a little house cleaning.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Right, rrpearso, I'm just laying up in the bubble bath on the welfare bucks sipping on Alaska Summer Ale while waiting for you to have to pay state income tax so I can get my clutches on even more of your beer money

Quote:
I worked hard to get where I am and I resent supporting useless bums
How do you think some people feel about your attitude that the rest of us should pay higher federal taxes so that Alaska residents don't have to pay a state income tax?

Most oil tramps move several times throughout the course of their lives, by the way. It's no big deal to have to move to go to where the work is. You should quit whining about every little thing; seeing something of the rest of the world might improve your crappy outlook on life.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
As far as bums having nothing to loose .... bring it we could use a little house cleaning.
Can you give us an example of a "useless bum."

Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM

305 posts, read 683,275 times
Haven't even read page #2 of these comments and already need to poke my nose in. At my age, I wouldn't mind seeing an exodus of folks who need big bucks to stay around. I like the idea of more breathing room. It means the communities would have people interested in participating in the decision-making because their voices would be heard and, likely, the din would be diminished enough to make everyone heard who's interested in having their say. We'd have to pay more for everything, but we'd go back to living with less, making do and recycling what can be reused. I'm not a liberal, my heart bleeds for little, but Alaska has become little of what it was before the pipeline. Nothing wrong with progress, but people start valuing leisure more than industry and things get skewed. My two cents, for what it's worth; not everyone agrees or can envision what that life was like, but it was mighty nice at one time, and we all depended on each other if we lived close enough. I like the idea of smaller - in communities, in needs, in government. Life could be better.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I agree, most of the people on the dole are capable of working but mooch of the system, met must be one of them, she also has some serious anger issues and cant seem to formulate a coherent argument, oh well. I simply dont want to pay for it, I worked hard to get where I am and I resent supporting useless bums. They are almost 50% of the population now so the govt is gonig to pander to them at the expense of the experts and professionals making good money, once it flips to 51% on the dole it will no longer be economically favorable to stay here, I think once I make that first move away from my home it will be much easier to pull anchor again to where the money is.

I would guess that Met is doing OK, I really doubt she is on the dole. Yeah, she is a bit angry at times, she must have red hair or something... Got to be a roots thing... Um, I suppose I should be ducking or something about now!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How do you think some people feel about your attitude that the rest of us should pay higher federal taxes so that Alaska residents don't have to pay a state income tax?
WTF is this "rest of us" crap? I pay the same Federal Tax Rates as everyone else in the lower 48.

The reason all of us pay so much Federal Income tax is we've got a corrupt, thieving, inefficient, wasteful government. Oh yea, and did I say corrupt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska