Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I am making $7.60 an hour. I have been offered about $9.50 an hour doing exactly the same thing in Juneau.
If you can support yourself on that, and maintain an acceptable standard of living on that wage, then more power to you.
I guess we may not be talking about the same thing, and that's my bad. You're talking about a "job". I'm talking about a "career". they're disappearing here. For instance, the AMHS Ferry Headquarters is moving from Juneau to Ketchican as we speak. Now that's about 50 "jobs", about 20 of those were "careers" (good salaried positions). Also add to that now the 120 or so "residual jobs" connected to it. A boost for Ketchican, a shaft for Juneau. And they just spent a couple million on renovations.
Where I work at has what we call "Seattle creep", high salary positions going to Seattle, and I believe 2 more state office positions have been moved to Anchorage.
That's all I can really say about the matter. Now if you want to discuss availability of affordable housing that's another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
If you can support yourself on that, and maintain an acceptable standard of living on that wage, then more power to you.
I guess we may not be talking about the same thing, and that's my bad. You're talking about a "job". I'm talking about a "career". they're disappearing here. For instance, the AMHS Ferry Headquarters is moving from Juneau to Ketchican as we speak. Now that's about 50 "jobs", about 20 of those were "careers" (good salaried positions). Also add to that now the 120 or so "residual jobs" connected to it. A boost for Ketchican, a shaft for Juneau. And they just spent a couple million on renovations.
Where I work at has what we call "Seattle creep", high salary positions going to Seattle, and I believe 2 more state office positions have been moved to Anchorage.
That's all I can really say about the matter. Now if you want to discuss availability of affordable housing that's another matter.
Well, certainly jobs and careers are different things. Supporting yourself on 9 dollars and hour isn't an easy proposition, however I was simply mentioning that you can make more money in Alaska doing the exact same thing as you would in the lower 48.
I'm a bad one to ask because Alaska is unquestionably the best place in the country to pursue my chosen career, and unless the fish start migrating to Seattle that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
........ you can make more money in Alaska doing the exact same thing as you would in the lower 48.
Great, you make 26% more money and the cost of living is 30% higher than the national average.

Quote:
.....affordable housing that's another matter.
Housing costs run 32% higher than the national average.

Utilities, 33% higher. Healthcare costs, 60% higher.

Groceries, 28% higher.

(figures from the Juneau Economic Development Council)

So if you get $2.00 an hour more for serving coffee in a coffee bar, you're wage increase is short of the cost of living increase.

Might explain why the population of coffee servers is not growing.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,132 times
Thumbs up The American Dream

Quote:
... You're talking about a "job". I'm talking about a "career". they're disappearing here. For instance, the AMHS Ferry Headquarters is moving from Juneau to Ketchican as we speak. Now that's about 50 "jobs", about 20 of those were "careers" (good salaried positions). Also add to that now the 120 or so "residual jobs" connected to it. A boost for Ketchican, a shaft for Juneau. And they just spent a couple million on renovations ...
A career with Wal Mart or Home Depot is part of the American Dream.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Clever, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Great, you make 26% more money and the cost of living is 30% higher than the national average.

Housing costs run 32% higher than the national average.

Utilities, 33% higher. Healthcare costs, 60% higher.

Groceries, 28% higher.

(figures from the Juneau Economic Development Council)

So if you get $2.00 an hour more for serving coffee in a coffee bar, you're wage increase is short of the cost of living increase.

Might explain why the population of coffee servers is not growing.
You didn't read what I wrote. The difference between the cost of living in Juneau and the town where I live and work currently is slim, but the wages are higher in Alaska. Using the national average to compare is misleading because both the cost of living and wages vary greatly throughout the country.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Yes, I did read what you wrote.

And yes, wages and cost of living do vary, that's precisely the point.

But you're not serving coffee in Juneau, and most of the readers here aren't living in the burg you're presently living in.

All of which is of little relevance to why Southeast's population is out-migrating faster than it is in-migrating.

In most respects, wages and opportunities are not keeping pace with the cost of living.

The question was asked, why is the population decreasing?

The answer has been provided by the professionals who study such things.

You could produce a study which shows that, wherever you live, the cost of living margin is 'slim' (as you say) compared to Juneau, but that wouldn't apply to most of the country. The way those averages work, for every place that's below that average, there is another place where it's above that average.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,132 times
Arrow A cultural desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeTX View Post
user2,

You mentioned the population of the SE is declining. Do you know why?
In addition to the economic factors which have been discussed in some depth, one must also consider the social and cultural vapidity of life in the Alaska panhandle. With the recent advent of widespread internet access and the resulting avalanche of information, people are introduced on an ever-increasing scale to the notion that the proverbial grass may indeed be greener on the other side of the proverbial fence.

Hence, the exodus - especially among the younger people.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Southeast Alaska is a cultural desert?! You've never been to Idaho, huh?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
In addition to the economic factors which have been discussed in some depth, one must also consider the social and cultural vapidity of life in the Alaska panhandle.
You almost sound like the Prince of Wales but something tells me that you aren't.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-05-2007 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 PM

201 posts, read 822,866 times
I'm not in the southeast so maybe it'd feel different, but the Alaska I am in is what I had hoped for and more!! I LURVE it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska