Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teridb View Post
Realizing that compared to where I live it is always really cold in Barrow; do you get used to it or does it become relative? For example on Wednesday it was 51 wet and cloudy and if felt REALLY cold where as today it was also 51 but clear and sunny and it was quite comfortable. Eighty in the spring feels great and 80 at midnight in June is stifling. How are the hospital pats heated?
People get used to it. 10 above without any wind is warm to me, light jacket weather. When the wind blows I get bundled for it. Right now it's -21 below, -50 with the wind so that's bundle and layer weather if I have to go out, which I did last night.

30-40 above is comfortable. 50-60 is getting warm but bear in mind it gets that warm when the sun is up 24/7. 55-60 with no wind and I'm out without a jacket, usually in a t shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM

206 posts, read 514,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
People get used to it. 10 above without any wind is warm to me, light jacket weather. When the wind blows I get bundled for it. Right now it's -21 below, -50 with the wind so that's bundle and layer weather if I have to go out, which I did last night.

30-40 above is comfortable. 50-60 is getting warm but bear in mind it gets that warm when the sun is up 24/7. 55-60 with no wind and I'm out without a jacket, usually in a t shirt.
LOL, ouch i bet you end up itching for days after that

I hate the summers in Barrow more then the freaking really cold and dark winters, all because of the mosquitoes.

Speaking of cold, last friday was around -55, one of my employees got drunk after work and walked home in that with just shorts and a heavy sweatshirt on, needless to say he has mild frostbite on his exposed shins now.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post
LOL, ouch i bet you end up itching for days after that

I hate the summers in Barrow more then the freaking really cold and dark winters, all because of the mosquitoes.

Speaking of cold, last friday was around -55, one of my employees got drunk after work and walked home in that with just shorts and a heavy sweatshirt on, needless to say he has mild frostbite on his exposed shins now.
The company that makes OFF loves me!

I get my good walks in before the mosquitoes belch forth from the mouth of hell to plague and torment us. That narrow window of a few weeks of pleasant weather and no flying, bloodsucking, deathwings.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM

206 posts, read 514,060 times
Yea the Mosquito is really Alaskas state bird.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM

33 posts, read 48,384 times
I am amazed that mosquitos survive where it is below freezing 80% of the time and in an area considered a desert! We, of course, have tons of them here but we also have tons of lizards and a spraying program. At least you don't have snakes and palmetto bugs - do you?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
The company that makes OFF loves me!

I get my good walks in before the mosquitoes belch forth from the mouth of hell to plague and torment us. That narrow window of a few weeks of pleasant weather and no flying, bloodsucking, deathwings.
I thought we had the worst mosquitoes lol

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I thought we had the worst mosquitoes lol
The average Alaskan mosquito would make a Virginia mosquito its prison ***** in seconds!

They sound like squadrons of WW2 fighter-bombers when they fly overhead.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teridb View Post
I am amazed that mosquitos survive where it is below freezing 80% of the time and in an area considered a desert! We, of course, have tons of them here but we also have tons of lizards and a spraying program. At least you don't have snakes and palmetto bugs - do you?
The answer I have gotten is no... But no lizards and spiders means there is not much to keep those mosquitos in check.

Not sure I like this, but the Florida Keys is experimenting with genetically altered mosquito. When they breed, their offspring are sterile... It drastically cuts down the mosquito population. Sincei n AK the chemicals you can use are highly controlled and most illegal, this might be the only way to truly control your mosquito population.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
The answer I have gotten is no... But no lizards and spiders means there is not much to keep those mosquitos in check.

Not sure I like this, but the Florida Keys is experimenting with genetically altered mosquito. When they breed, their offspring are sterile... It drastically cuts down the mosquito population. Sincei n AK the chemicals you can use are highly controlled and most illegal, this might be the only way to truly control your mosquito population.
Not sure the World population would want to mess with the ecology of Alaska and around the Polar World by doing anything to reduce the population of mosquitos. The fact that much of the World's migratory bird population nests in the Polar regions of the World and depends on the protein in mosquitos for the survival of their off spring do we really want to sacrifice our temporary comfort by radically changing the World's environment? Not really worried about the gun owners (AKA known as hunters) but think about the benefits of the population that depends on the mosquito for it's well being.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

33 posts, read 48,384 times
I wasn't trying to imply that Alaska should eradicate mosquitos just surprise that they survive the weather in Barrow. My understanding is that it is not often above freezing and when it is below 50 on a consistent basis in Florida our mosquitos take a hike or lay low somewhere! The rest of the year they are generally only aggressive at dawn and dusk so you plan accordingly. They do spray here but not nearly as aggressively as they did 20 years ago. I use cutter' s if I am in the woods and off products at home. What other fun critters do you have up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska