Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM

284 posts, read 404,629 times

Advertisements

So, we live in Sitka. Yes, people grow lots of veggies here and will be able to sell them roadside this year. There are also folks that have chickens, ducks, etc. There are two gas stations here! There is seven or eight restaurants here but our idea of eating out is out on the back porch. There is about 14 miles of road and that's it. My yard is one big berry patch--which is awesome! We fish and hunt. Crime is people passed out drunk in public restrooms now and then. We have two big grocery stores and one small one. Several mom and pop stores and yes, we buy local for the most part. There are places to rent, some better than others. It is more expensive to live here than say Anchorage. We have two hospitals here-one catering to the SE native population but also serves the community. The other is the community hospital. To get major medical treatment like a heart cath. or something of that nature goes to Seattle or Anchorage. People are not snots here. There are lots of community events and artsy-fartsy stuff here-if you are into that. And yes, it rains-a lot. There are lots of trails for hiking, lots of wildlife. Oh, we burn wood for heat but also have baseboard (1) if we want to use it. My neighbor is the general manager of the Sitka Tribal Ass. and he is a great guy! Its a diverse, laid back great place and every single day is beautiful here--but that's in the eye of the beholder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM

134 posts, read 195,388 times
Halibut numbers keep going down | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper this is for commercial halibut fishing showing declining numbers in Southeast AK. I love SE AK, and if I leave the Anc area, I'd move back in a heartbeat. This summer might be my opportunity. There are tons of trails just about every where, just gotta watch for bears & moose. Lots of rain, and the farther north you go the more snow there is. Some areas have better hunting than others. It is very rare to have a moose in Skagway. Local plants can provide foraging, but some years have been better than others, depending on several factors.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Commercial halibut fishing has been declining for years. It's fished out, and everyone knows that, but it's hardly representative of commercial or sports fishing as a whole. It's worth noting that halibut is regulated by the feds due to an international treaty., which is probably why they're damn near gone. Alaska regulates its salmon pretty damn well in comparison.

Even back in the old days, halibut openings were few and far between. It's always been a specialty catch, and the feds pretty much gave it up to the sports fishing industry years ago.

The status of commercial (or sports) halibut isn't a factor in whether someone should move to SE Alaska. It's just that not economically important compared to salmon and not nearly as essential to local communities as a food source.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-01-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I would say Ketchikan would be about right. Juneau is all right, but it's so expensive there. I'm self-employed too, and can live wherever I want, but I don't see the point in paying Juneau prices when you can get the same quality of life for a little less.
I'm not into super expensive anything anymore. I know those areas are probably very beautiful, etc., but those people can have them. I'm not attracted to high cost of living areas. I've actually figured out a way to live in an exceptionally beautiful place for almost nothing.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 11,113 times
You guys are great! Very informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska