Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,937 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new here and would like to say hello to everyone. My husband and I are intersted in moving back to Alaska and especially interested in the Glennallan area. Can anyone give me any info on this area and the avg. price for land in the area?

thanks,

Lgarriott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
One grocery store (Parks), two hardware stores, 2 gas stations, one bar 5 miles from the hub, 2 restaurants. 3-3 1/2 hours from Anchorage. Nice little town. Interior weather and climate conditions apply. 900 people roughly, 11 churches or congregations. Decent little library.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,937 times
Default thank you

Thank you for the info. My husband and I are both former residents of Alaska but we never lived in that area. But that is the area we have our heart set on this time.

Can anyone tell me anything about land prices and the availability of land for sale in that area?

Thanks,

Lgarriott

Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 AM

115 posts, read 615,932 times
Default Glennallen property

The Remote properties link lists several properties in Glennallen - Remote Properties LLC Phone: 907-277-4608
Alaska's Remote Property LLC, Anchorage, Alaska

You might also try the two libraries for phone numbers to real estate dealers.
Alaska Bible College ask for library 1-800-478-7884
Glennallen Public Library (907) 822-5427

Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM

301 posts, read 824,108 times
For MLS listings try: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Statewide MLS system - Homes, Land, Commercial, Businesses. When I just searched "vacant land/Glennallen & surrounding areas" I got 73 properties. Fun site!!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
One thing you definately should check out before purchasing your land is the depth of the water table. The water table in the Glennallen/Chitna area can be quite deep. In some cases more than 500 feet. With wells costing $40+ per foot to drill, that could get rather expensive. A lot of residents have their potable water shipped in via truck from nearby lakes.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default overall, it's pretty flat

Topology-wise, the region's pretty flat, but there are quite a few mountains surrounding in the distance. Here's a shot taken from the air, shows the Tazlina river, with the sunlight still hitting the Wrangell mountains in the distance.

The drive from the Palmer/Wasilla area is very pretty, right past a glacier and through a mountain pass, but the road can get drifted pretty deep in the winter. Here's another shot taken just past Eureka lodge on the highway, notice the tall poles along the side, they're so the snowplow can still find the highway through the snowdrifts.

Part of the trans-Alaskan pipeline goes right through town, but I never did get a decent shot of it that wasn't blurry. They have a medical clinic that tries pretty hard, in many ways it's almost a hospital. The economic base there really can't support a true hospital though, and it takes a lot of dedication on the part of some pretty determined individuals to keep the place running. It's a long drive from there down to the valley, not quite so far down through Thompson pass (not always open in winter) to Valdez, and quite a bit further up through Delta Junction to Fairbanks. In a way, it's sorta central to the drivable areas of Alaska, but it's not really close.

There's not much in the way of zoning from what I could see driving by and flying over the area, so if you don't want to be looking at an eyesore next door or listening to a hundred sled dogs bark 24/7 you'd better buy a larger plot or one that already has neighbors you can tolerate. The usual caveats about actually setting foot on the dirt there before you write a check definately apply.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 12,214 times
I will be spending about 3 wks in Glennallen in Jan. Help in needed in the what to bring as far as clothes to keep warm. Any suggestions about coat/boots, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! V

Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 PM

115 posts, read 615,932 times
Default glennallen

QVICK: If I could figure out how to post pictures I would do it.

Basically Glennallen is about 15 degrees colder than Anchorage in Winter. It is windy but not too bad. There is only one motel open during these months. Both gas stations are open. There is one grocery store open at this time of year. They have a medical clinic but no head doctor/director. There is a airport used by private planes and charters. The only restaurant is at the only motel and is fairly good. If you are going to stay three weeks you should have prearranged for accommodations and should pre buy your food in Anchorage before you come. I recommend Safeway as you can plan your meals based on their online ads posted every Wednesday. It is a big store.
Hopefully the place you are staying has a washer/dryer or you should allow $5.00 per wash load and I don't remember how much to dry. Nothing is in walking distance especially in January. It is a long icy drive no facilities after Palmer and Palmer (Palmer is noted for the number of Moose/car confrontations) is not as big as the map impies - Try to arrive during the daylight hours and remember drive carefull don't become a statistic!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvick View Post
I will be spending about 3 wks in Glennallen in Jan. Help in needed in the what to bring as far as clothes to keep warm. Any suggestions about coat/boots, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! V
Glennallen will be much colder in January. You should be prepared for at least 0°F. If you are going to be outside a lot, and want to stay comfortable, dress for -20°F. Dress in layers of clothing. That way you can add or remove what you need for the conditions. A decent lightwight parka with a removable insert, wool shirt, flannel-lined jeans, wool socks, and a nice pair of 400-gram Thinsulate waterproof boots. A pair of polypropylene long-johns could also come in handy.

Some time in January the Chinook Winds come up from the south bringing warm air. It could happen in early, mid-, or late-January, it is impossible to predict. Sustained winds can reach up to 85mph with gusts over 100mph. Those winds will also increase the ambient temperature to +40°F or warmer for a few days.

You will have more clear and sunny days (for as long as it lasts, about 4 hours in January) in Glennallen than you would in Anchorage or other coastal cities. Glennallen is also at a higher elevation than Anchorage or coastal cities, so it will be slightly colder in the winter and slightly warmer in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska