Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

Well I did a quick search and didn't find much, and I doubt there are any threads on this, so here is my dilemna. I am currently residing in Seward, Alaska and I own a Playstation 3. I know nobody in Seward so I have no idea if I am the only one with this problem. Maybe some of the younger kids who own playstations can help me out. My ISP is TelAlaska and after being on the phone with their techsupport for several days neither myself nor the techie could determine what the issue with my playstation was. I am running a hard wired connection from my Linksys router to my PS3. When all is said and done My internet works great. I am able to sign onto Playstation Network. I am, however, unable to play any of the games on my playstation- online. It seems that TelAlaska has some of the ports blocked that each game requires to access the in-game server content. I asked TelAlaska to unblock all ports, and they gave me a public IP and said it was wide open. That did not solve the problem. Please, if there is anyone out there (In Seward) who owns a playstation and is able to play games online let me know how you configured everything. If you know anybody or a relative or child of yours has a playstation and it works online, please tell me how to get mine working.

I know my router and playstation work correctly, when in Anchorage I am able to access the games online. Once I came to Seward, I was no longer able to access them. Please somebody help me!

BTW- Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, My name is Don. Nice to meet you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 AM

103 posts, read 322,822 times
l337 *****z - AKMS Forums (http://alaskamotorsports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30 - broken link)
maybe one of the gamers on akms can help.

is should know this but im PS3 less

Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default buy a Wii

Buy a Wii to kill time while you're figuring it out. Yes, it has internet-dependent functions too, but...it's so much more amusing watching your friends try to play the games.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 AM

81 posts, read 301,518 times
Sounds like some ports are blocked with in the router. try the Linksys website for info.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
I know older linksys routers had issues with ports when the X box came out. So Hopefully yours is newer.

Have you tried to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem?

Linksys routers also have a gaming port section that you may be able to tweak.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I still can't get it figured out.

Well the linksys router worked fine, when I was in Anchorage. I connected my PS3 to the internet via the router, on both a dsl ISP and cable ISP. I have a dsl ISP in Seward, and for some reason it is the modem itself that won't let me play. The router is a WRT300N brand new out of box. 2 weeks old max. This sucks...

Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
A long shot, is to
A set your MTU manually to 1460. see if that helps through put.
B see what your PS3 ip is through the router and set that port as the DMZ port to ensure the router is not having issues with the PPOE,

C Call Internet provider and complain, call back and try again, maybe you will get a different tech and someone will find the issue. Look as your settings in the PS3 maybe something is setup that is not compatable with this type of DSL.

Good luck.

Post your porblem on the Technology forum, some smart people wander through there.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM

50 posts, read 174,969 times
I tried to do a link but for the life of me I can not remember how. Can't post a picture either!! Grrrr!! Any way go to the linksys.com site and look under support/technical support, search for your router and it will give you some help options but the best thing I saw was a link for free live tech chat. Hope you get it going!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Just type the link as you would in your browser bar.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM

I'll try a few things and let you know how it turns out.
Good idea, I'll post in the tech forum if I can't get it to work.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska