Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Groceries and utilities make up a significantly smaller percentage of most families outgo (unless they have a lot of kids but then that's a totally separate issue as having tons of kids in a high cost of living city is foolish). Also a big part of the reason for things being expensive up here are due to lease rates. Most businesses selling you something are doing so from leased property (unless its online). The proliferation of online business is helping consumers and putting the pressure on strip mall owners.

These indexes are not comparing apples to apples, you have to look at median income vs costs. Maybe these indexes take that into account but at the end of the day housing is going to be most families most significant expense and thus is worthy of being under a much more powerful microscope.

But saying hey we are slightly better than 2 of the worst states in the USA is not saying much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Is that what I implied?

a. I don't know how to make it more simple, other that to ask you again to read all the indexes for Alaska, and for CA. Some of the indexes are lower in CA (grocery index, utilities, transportation, health, and misc.) than in Alaska, and these keep the cost of living lower in CA, even if its housing index is higher.

b. In Alaska the grocery index is higher, and so utilities, transportation, health, and misc. You have to take into consideration all the indexes for each State, not just one or two of them.

ALASKA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Groceries and utilities make up a significantly smaller percentage of most families outgo (unless they have a lot of kids but then that's a totally separate issue as having tons of kids in a high cost of living city is foolish). Also a big part of the reason for things being expensive up here are due to lease rates. Most businesses selling you something are doing so from leased property (unless its online). The proliferation of online business is helping consumers and putting the pressure on strip mall owners.

These indexes are not comparing apples to apples, you have to look at median income vs costs. Maybe these indexes take that into account but at the end of the day housing is going to be most families most significant expense and thus is worthy of being under a much more powerful microscope.

But saying hey we are slightly better than 2 of the worst states in the USA is not saying much.
Well, I haven't said that "we are slightly better than other states." All I said is that you have to take all the indexes into consideration, not just one or two. The cost of living index is a composite of all the indexes in the tables as you can see below.

I don't make those numbers, but you can find all the data you want at this website (cost of living is around pages 38-44):
http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/communityplanning/crc/

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-11-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 PM

True, but its also not intellectually honest to say that an extra 50 cents for a tomatoe is the same thing as an extra hundred grand for a house. Or lease rates for buisnesses that are 500% more.

You have to consider why some of the other things are expensive as well? Why are the groceries so much more expensive, is it ALL shipping?

Quote:
Well, I haven't said that "we are slightly better than other states." All I said is that you have to take all the indexes into consideration, not just one or two. The cost of living index is a composite of all the indexes in the tables as you can see below.

I don't make those numbers, but you can find all the data you want at this website (cost of living is around pages 38-44):
http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/communityplanning/crc/

Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
True, but its also not intellectually honest to say that an extra 50 cents for a tomatoe is the same thing as an extra hundred grand for a house. Or lease rates for buisnesses that are 500% more.

You have to consider why some of the other things are expensive as well? Why are the groceries so much more expensive, is it ALL shipping?
You are talking about two indexes (groceries, and housing) out of several. Again, and again, and again,, to arrive to the cost of living for a city, you have to gather all the different indexes into one group.

I don't know what to tell you. I don't create the databases with the indexes. How about if you talk to the people who create the cost of living indexes in Alaska, and change the rules? I have informed you by posting the facts, you decide.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-12-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 PM

does the index take into account why something costs what it costs. I am saying that most of the expense from these other indexes are directly tied to outrageous commercial real estate lease rates or purchase prices.

Quote:
You are talking about two indexes (groceries, and housing) out of several. Again, and again, and again,, to arrive to the cost of living for a city, you have to gather all the different indexes into one group.

I don't know what to tell you. I don't create the databases with the indexes. How about if you talk to the people who create the cost of living indexes in Alaska, and change the rules? I have informed you by posting the facts, you decide.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
does the index take into account why something costs what it costs. I am saying that most of the expense from these other indexes are directly tied to outrageous commercial real estate lease rates or purchase prices.
That is a question you would probably have to ask the statisticians who came up with those indices, not Ray from the Internet in AK. Ray from the Internet in AK would not know if they drilled down on their numbers.

And no, I cannot get you their email addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska