Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I get the connection between the Whites and the Alaska shows. The Whites seem to be a real family with fairly deep roots in the region, and you can't really say the same about any of those in the Alaska shows with the exception of the Kilchers (who were, like the Whites, fairly well-known in their own right before either of the respective "shows"). Oh, and did I mention that the program about the Whites was a documentary and not a low-budget reality show produced for the sole reason of profiting from tax credits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 AM

106 posts, read 153,613 times
"Other crimes include larceny, prescription fraud, shootings, armed robbery, forgery, stabbings, and parental custody."

This is not normal, and it is entirely possible to be a poor coal miner family while still acting like a normal human being. Being a murderous family classifies you as crazy in my book. There are far more law abiding citizens who face hardship in wv than ones who kill people.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM

I have never watched the full documentary. It came out several years ago, so I forgot that it even was a documentary. I thought I remembered it being a series on MTV.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM

Oh, and the fact that it's even slightly real makes those people even more disgusting.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
I'm not sure why you think government jobs are all boring. Spend some time fighting wildfires with the forest service and then tell me that's boring. But like all of this country, some jobs are boring desk jobs and some aren't. What makes Alaska different isn't really the jobs or people per se but the land. The jobs people do in Alaska are the same as the lower 48, there just may be some minor adjustments to suit the particular location (for example for service workers will have a rifle or shotgun handy for grizzly bears in the field in Alaska whereas they are generally unarmed in the lower 48 other than LEO's). It's a big, diverse place with everything from temperate rain forests to Arctic tundra, some of the most impressive mountains in the U.S. (don't write off the Rocky Mtns. in the lower 48 though), and the place is simply huge with a very low population density outside of certain parts. I bet if you spent some time in Northern Maine north of Baxter Park you'd find something very similar to life in rural Alaska. Until the river drives were banned 40 years ago and logging roads built everywhere there was even something resembling the bush there. Alaska is just a bigger place, with some different tree and animal species, and a more diverse climate.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
do.

I wouldn't be offended if you asked how people in the DC metro area survive the horrible commutes and skyrocketing rent. I'd give you useful information about what kind of jobs people have here, and which kinds of skills will do you no good. But thanks for your help?
Another difference between you and I is that I wouldn't have become petulant when not provided with an "interesting" enough answer and replied with snotty nonsense about how the the information wasn't "useful." Sorry Alaskans aren't "unique" enough for you.

Happy New Year. I hope your boss doesn't catch you posting on forums while you're on the clock.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-31-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm not sure why you think government jobs are all boring. Spend some time fighting wildfires with the forest service and then tell me that's boring. But like all of this country, some jobs are boring desk jobs and some aren't. What makes Alaska different isn't really the jobs or people per se but the land. The jobs people do in Alaska are the same as the lower 48, there just may be some minor adjustments to suit the particular location (for example for service workers will have a rifle or shotgun handy for grizzly bears in the field in Alaska whereas they are generally unarmed in the lower 48 other than LEO's). It's a big, diverse place with everything from temperate rain forests to Arctic tundra, some of the most impressive mountains in the U.S. (don't write off the Rocky Mtns. in the lower 48 though), and the place is simply huge with a very low population density outside of certain parts. I bet if you spent some time in Northern Maine north of Baxter Park you'd find something very similar to life in rural Alaska. Until the river drives were banned 40 years ago and logging roads built everywhere there was even something resembling the bush there. Alaska is just a bigger place, with some different tree and animal species, and a more diverse climate.
I was not saying government jobs are not intersting. I'm saying government jobs could mean a million different things, so it's a vague description. Like I said I was getting at diversity rather than interesting, but I wrote too quickly without thinking about it much.

I don't know why everyone acts so surprised that I think it's different there. I came to that conclusion by reading your responses to everyone's "I'm moving to Alasaka" threads. If it's not so different then why make it seem like some mysterious land that only a few could survive? They are treated like they don't know what they're getting into. Then I come along and ask why, and everyone freaks out and says how dare you think we're some oddity?!

And btw, Metlakatla, I'm allowed to do whatever I want when there is no work to be done. I work for one of those progressive corporate types in a cushy desk job. It's quite boring.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM

I think it's already been explained to you that there's a difference between moving blind to Alaska and maintaining an established lifestyle. Sorry it's too complex for you. This probably is, too: it's some of your wording and your snotty attitude when you don't get the answers you want that's fueling certain responses, not that you "think it's different."

What people have been trying to tell you is a truth you obviously don't want to hear. In that respect, you're no different from the guy riceme mentioned in an earlier post who wanted to drive up the AlCan on bald tires.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:46 PM

195 posts, read 278,569 times
Salary is a big reason for staying. My paycheck between Michigan and Alaska is a 50% difference...literally. It's very hard to make it as a young teacher in the lower 48, unless you've got a spouse making good money or you want to live with your parents. Most young teachers (within the first 5-ish years of their careers) that I know down south will make between $700-$900 every two weeks. That's rough for someone who has student loans, rent, utilities, car payments, etc. Frankly, I made more as a cashier at Lowe's than I did my first year of teaching in Michigan.

Other than that, I prefer cold weather and I like the endless sun in the summertime. The darkness can suck, but you still have to work 8hrs/day and that keeps you pretty busy. I haven't had any issues with medical care in Juneau. In fact, my regular doctor here is my favorite one that I've ever had and the clinic she works out of is efficient and helpful. We often get flown to Seattle if there is anything serious, but where I lived in the lower 48 they'd always fly us out to Chicago...so it's not that much different.

The scenery is an added bonus and I love having endless hiking and skiing right outside my house. Also, I like that I don't have to pay or fight crowds to enjoy any of that scenery.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Salary is a big reason for staying. My paycheck between Michigan and Alaska is a 50% difference...literally. It's very hard to make it as a young teacher in the lower 48, unless you've got a spouse making good money or you want to live with your parents. Most young teachers (within the first 5-ish years of their careers) that I know down south will make between $700-$900 every two weeks. That's rough for someone who has student loans, rent, utilities, car payments, etc. Frankly, I made more as a cashier at Lowe's than I did my first year of teaching in Michigan.

Other than that, I prefer cold weather and I like the endless sun in the summertime. The darkness can suck, but you still have to work 8hrs/day and that keeps you pretty busy. I haven't had any issues with medical care in Juneau. In fact, my regular doctor here is my favorite one that I've ever had and the clinic she works out of is efficient and helpful. We often get flown to Seattle if there is anything serious, but where I lived in the lower 48 they'd always fly us out to Chicago...so it's not that much different.

The scenery is an added bonus and I love having endless hiking and skiing right outside my house. Also, I like that I don't have to pay or fight crowds to enjoy any of that scenery.
Wow, that is a big difference in salary. Thank you for the thorough response. What subject do you teach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska