Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:13 AM

10,549 posts, read 7,743,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidog View Post
It's a fixer upper, so not worried about what could go wrong but I guess I really have no idea what could/does happen.

It will definitely be an adjustment from here (definitely not Texas) to our first Alaska winter. Our house is also about 30miles away from town. .
I would wait until Spring, (April) then take ferry from B'ham. No need to rush into your first Alaskan winter.

As others have said, there's not that much to be gained by becoming a citizen six months earlier, and the dark/cold season isn't the ideal time to familiarize yourself with what needs fixin'.

It snows quite a bit in Haines during a typical winter, especially 30 miles out.

Congratulations on your find. Haines is my favorite location in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 10:58 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
If you drive at all, get a copy of The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST . In my opinion, it's the essential guide to the drive.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
If you drive at all, get a copy of The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST . In my opinion, it's the essential guide to the drive.
Defiantly!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidog View Post
Thank you all, so much to consider and look into. Nice to just be able get these crazy anxiety giving ideas out. Prince Rupert was much cheaper !!! 1,200 vs 3,300. I hope there is a legion and great place to get the low down. Goodnite
Thanks. I knew it was cheaper but wasn't sure how much. Looks like the drive to Prince Rupert is well worth it.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks. I knew it was cheaper but wasn't sure how much. Looks like the drive to Prince Rupert is well worth it.

Indeed it is, providing you're not doing those 1000 extra miles in late fall to winter with a phobia of winter driving.

Some of those inland BC locales get lots of snow, like 80-150 inches a year.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Well, I certainly wouldn't advise them or anyone else with reservations about winter driving to drive any of the suggested routes during snow season. Nonetheless, I've heard many people say that driving to/from the PR ferry saves significant sums; just never knew how much until the OP posted it.

My inlaws used to take a Canadian ferry from Port Hardy on the northern end of Vancouver Island to PR and back every year. They said it was a lot less expensive as well as a nicer vessel and less crowded, but from what I recall, that service was only available during the summer months.

There's always the option of flying up and barging the vehicle up, but I have no idea of what that would cost. I use this company to ship stuff:

Shipping Your Vehicle

Someone -- 67? -- made a really valid point. Buildings here need to be inhabited during winter in order to stay in good shape. If the OP can't make it up till spring, might be worthwhile to contact the school district and see if there's any teachers looking for housing. Failing that, maybe there's a traveling quack or two looking for a place. That might take the edge off some of the moving expenses if they decide to wait until spring.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
Never thought of the ferry to prince Rupert route. I may have to take way that myself one of these days as I want to take the ferry down, but also really enjoy driving through Canada.

If you buy a house 30 miles out the highway from haines, you're going to have to drive in winter conditions eventually. Unless you're a snowbird (not a bad option ).

Yeah, I still think leaving a house vacant for the winter anywhere in AK isn't the best idea unless it's some sort of cabin and designed to be left alone and frozen up. A regular house with drywall, heat and plumbing, no way, but that's just me. If you can't move up till fall, surely there's someone who will watch/rent it until then. Met, made a good point with the teachers, they are usually pretty responsible.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
The highway running from Hope, British Columbia all the way to Prince Rupet is completely passable even in the middle winter. These are major highways that the Canadian transportation department keeps open. You have some snow packed sections but nothing that isn't drivable.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
My inlaws used to take a Canadian ferry from Port Hardy on the northern end of Vancouver Island to PR and back every year. They said it was a lot less expensive as well as a nicer vessel and less crowded, but from what I recall, that service was only available during the summer months.
I priced that a couple summers ago and it struck me as pretty expensive. It would be an interesting trip though. Maybe someday.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Never thought of the ferry to prince Rupert route. I may have to take way that myself one of these days as I want to take the ferry down, but also really enjoy driving through Canada.
Yes, but the best part of the drive is north of Rupert.

Unless, of course, you're taking a detour through Banff/Jasper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska