Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times

Advertisements

I lived next door to a cannery for two years. I've toured the facilities numerous times and became friends with cannery workers every summer except the first one. The first summer the plant wasn't dry. It was rough. Lots of drunken fights in my driveway and in the road next to my house. The next season Peter Pan went dry. Big difference. Almost every worker I met was nice. Worked their bets off, and were just trying to get ahead. The Eastern Europe crowd seemed to be the shadiest.

The Puerto Rican crowd encountered a bad situation in the bay, but not locally. I met so,e of those workers in Puerto Rico this summer.

The cannaries get a bad rep from olden days. IMO. It's hard work and most local labor force won't do the hard work. The pay isn't great, but it adds up, with OT and living accommodations.

If it wasn't 16 hour days, I'd consider it. I'd rather spend time with my children than making extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...out-nightmare/

People sometimes ask what's the worst that can happen if they take on a seafood processing job.<>
My guess would be some parts that get processed aren't seafood but processor.
"Thanks, but I'll have the cheeseburger"

Old 11-03-2017, 08:17 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
^ Yawn. Not even worth a response. Even Sarah Palin worked at a cannery to pay her way through college, like I said before, but I suppose you got a free ride from stepdaddy. No one cares if it isn't work that you want to do, but putting down those who do is bad form.
Yet you responded even though you have been brutally beaten in this argument and all you have left is trite ad homin attacks. Just dont want to work with known violent felons, thats my right, outside of that if someone wants to work there fine but its exploitive work because its gross dangerous working conditions for low pay.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I lived next door to a cannery for two years. I've toured the facilities numerous times and became friends with cannery workers every summer except the first one. The first summer the plant wasn't dry. It was rough. Lots of drunken fights in my driveway and in the road next to my house. The next season Peter Pan went dry. Big difference. Almost every worker I met was nice. Worked their bets off, and were just trying to get ahead. The Eastern Europe crowd seemed to be the shadiest.

The Puerto Rican crowd encountered a bad situation in the bay, but not locally. I met so,e of those workers in Puerto Rico this summer.

The cannaries get a bad rep from olden days. IMO. It's hard work and most local labor force won't do the hard work. The pay isn't great, but it adds up, with OT and living accommodations.

If it wasn't 16 hour days, I'd consider it. I'd rather spend time with my children than making extra money.
Yea who in their right mind does that kind of work for what 8-10/hr? My idea of getting ahead is getting an engineering degree, more advanced skills and knowing my worth. If the state denigrates to the point where thats the only type of employment thats left then thats the type of people you will live with.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post

I made it three days at an old-school cannery when I was a teenager. From what I recall, the crew was made up of locals and college students. The students camped on the beach.

We don't have staffing problems at my facility; probably because we pay well and don't have rough working conditions. We also don't schedule anyone for over 40 hours per week unless absolutely necessary though, so we're probably not the best place for someone who wants to rack up overtime.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-03-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yet you responded even though you have been brutally beaten in this argument and all you have left is trite ad homin attacks. Just dont want to work with known violent felons, thats my right, outside of that if someone wants to work there fine but its exploitive work because its gross dangerous working conditions for low pay.
Your so called argument is based on something your stepdaddy told you that sounds more like a labor dispute than a normal day at a processing plant. I wouldn't recommend processing as a career either, btw, but it works for some people at certain points of their lives. Putting them down is pathetic.

I own a seafood processing plant. You'll never own a goddamn thing.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Your so called argument is based on something your stepdaddy told you that sounds more like a labor dispute than a normal day at a processing plant. I wouldn't recommend processing as a career either, btw, but it works for some people at certain points of their lives. Putting them down is pathetic.

I own a seafood processing plant. You'll never own a goddamn thing.
How do you know what I own? What my step dad told me is not proping up my entire argument, I dont need what he said to know that seward smells like a nasty cesspool becuase of a seafood plant and I can only imagine what it smells like inside, probably enough ot make some people puke, no thanks.

I doubt there is hardly any measure of climate control for the comfort of the workers (only to the extent of what the sea food needs), again no thanks.

I know that these sorts of jobs employ a disproportant number of felons, no thanks, I dont need my step dad or a department of labor report to know that, its called not being an idiot.

Its just hard nasty work for low pay, only the most desperate people do this kind of work. Outside of the felons I am not putting down the people rather the owners who exploit the people which is why your pissed becuase thats YOU. You are the exploitive vulture capitalist.

Unless all of the sudden people are making 30-40/hr in these places ...

these places are not exactly a 10th and M or an alaska sauasage.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 PM

The place I own isn't the type your daddy was afwaid to walk past without the nice policemen holding his hand. It smells like smoked king salmon inside because that's what we do. I buy the fish already fileted so we aren't dealing with blood and guts.

I'm pretty happy with it; better than bouncing from job to job in Anchorage wondering where my next round of pizza and beer is coming from.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The place I own isn't the type your daddy was afwaid to walk past without the nice policemen holding his hand. It smells like smoked king salmon inside because that's what we do. I buy the fish already fileted so we aren't dealing with blood and guts.

I'm pretty happy with it; better than bouncing from job to job in Anchorage wondering where my next round of pizza and beer is coming from.
Congraduations do you want a cookie? BTW smoking salmon is not a "cannery", so you were intellectually dishonest.

There is a HUGE difference between whittier and sweard plants and "alaska sausage".

Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Congraduations do you want a cookie? BTW smoking salmon is not a "cannery", so you were intellectually dishonest.

There is a HUGE difference between whittier and sweard plants and "alaska sausage".
We can about half of it, so yes, it's a cannery. However, I made no such claim -- I said it was a seafood processing facility.

Your last sentence makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska