Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

This is what people think of as "seafood processing facility" and NOT

That is the definition of intellectual dishonesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
^People who are familiar with the industry know better. I'm licensed as a seafood processing plant.

Must be the Costco beer braying.

No wonder you can't hold down a job.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^People who are familiar with the industry know better. I'm licensed as a seafood processing plant.

Must be the Costco beer braying.

No wonder you can't hold down a job.
Yes thats it, the costco beer is preventing me from holding down a job ...

Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea who in their right mind does that kind of work for what 8-10/hr? My idea of getting ahead is getting an engineering degree, more advanced skills and knowing my worth. If the state denigrates to the point where thats the only type of employment thats left then thats the type of people you will live with.
There are some rough looking workers. I won't dispute that. Some are probably convicts or criminals and I won't dispute that. But almost every interaction with the workers have been positive. Heck, even had three come over for grilled kings.

Pitt, I've been unemployed twice in my adult life. Right after I EAS'd from the Marine Corps and when I moved to Maui. Both times I applied everywhere. Even fast food. I wasn't above any job. I don't hold someone's past against them. Everyone deserves a second or third chance. Canary job might be that.

I had a former student contact me about a processing job opportunity. I put him in contact with those guys I became friends with.

Now, those lodge visitors...

Old 11-04-2017, 06:31 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Can you prove otherwise? Or is this vitriol the result of me opening up a can of worms. Usually personal attacks like this result once someone gets a little too close to an ugly truth.

I highly doubt these are nice office conditions at these plants, i dont need to go visit one to figure this out, thats what an idiot would do.
Your opinion is coming from old, second hand and incomplete information.

My statement comes from 32 years in the industry, I've worked directly with plants in Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, Wrangell, Yakutat, Valdez, Cordova, Kenai, Naknek, Kotzebue, St. Paul, Adak, Chignik, Sand Point, and Adak. Throw another 5 processing vessels and I think that makes me far more experienced than you.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
There are some rough looking workers. I won't dispute that. Some are probably convicts or criminals and I won't dispute that. But almost every interaction with the workers have been positive. Heck, even had three come over for grilled kings.

Pitt, I've been unemployed twice in my adult life. Right after I EAS'd from the Marine Corps and when I moved to Maui. Both times I applied everywhere. Even fast food. I wasn't above any job. I don't hold someone's past against them. Everyone deserves a second or third chance. Canary job might be that.

I had a former student contact me about a processing job opportunity. I put him in contact with those guys I became friends with.

Now, those lodge visitors...
I suppose it’s good for some, I worked at pogo gold mine almost 20 years ago and made it a week. To long of hours for way to low of pay. It’s not about work being beneath, it’s about the fact that family is here and wants you to stay here, that comes with strings. I got an engineering degree and professional license for a reason not so I could work at a fish plant. At a certain point the job search has to turn to out of state.

Even if I have some wrong ideas I am pretty sure I am not wrong that it’s hard manual labor for fairly low pay working long hours.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Your opinion is coming from old, second hand and incomplete information.

My statement comes from 32 years in the industry, I've worked directly with plants in Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, Wrangell, Yakutat, Valdez, Cordova, Kenai, Naknek, Kotzebue, St. Paul, Adak, Chignik, Sand Point, and Adak. Throw another 5 processing vessels and I think that makes me far more experienced than you.
But not King Cove. I can't believe you never worked directly with King Cove.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
But not King Cove. I can't believe you never worked directly with King Cove.
Nope, love the AK Peninsula but never worked King Cove.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
It's my understanding that with the exception of the singers, Ray Troll's 'Cannery Girl' was produced using actual cannery workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xg8tOaaQQ

Yeah, bunch of hardened convicts for sure.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's my understanding that with the exception of the singers, Ray Troll's 'Cannery Girl' was produced using actual cannery workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xg8tOaaQQ

Yeah, bunch of hardened convicts for sure.
Thanks! Never saw that. Filmed at the old Silver Lining/NorQuest (now Trident) factory. I worked that dock back in 92 offloading Tenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska