Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:41 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You want to know how smoky it's been? I marinated some salmon and set it out on the back porch. I now have smoked salmon.
Ha. You are not usually funny, but that's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 11:55 PM

I might make myself some air purifiers by getting some filters for our box fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

Last edited by riceme; 07-09-2019 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 01:45 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
They should probably put the fires out already geez. Don't they have millions of dollars of equipment, dozers, water trucks, airplanes, helicopters and hundreds of firefighters? Wtf? They just seem mainly interested in starting new fires on purpose, to "protect" things of course instead of actually putting fires out.

I took a selfie yesterday outside.
Attached Thumbnails
How smoky has it been?-gas-mask-smoke-grenade.jpg  

Old 07-09-2019, 02:49 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
They should probably put the fires out already geez. Don't they have millions of dollars of equipment, dozers, water trucks, airplanes, helicopters and hundreds of firefighters? Wtf? They just seem mainly interested in starting new fires on purpose, to "protect" things of course instead of actually putting fires out.
They're not going to spend all those resources putting out a fire that isn't threatening any infrastructure! They want to control standing dead fuels too and everyone knows there's a lot of that in beetle kill areas.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:29 PM

191 posts, read 287,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
The temps are real nice? I don't know where you are, but jiminy christmas, it's hotter than the devil's foot in Fairbanks.

We must have differing definitions of "real nice," which to me is hovering somewhere around +60*F.

I agree. 70's and 80's is too hot for me even a dry heat.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:11 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They're not going to spend all those resources putting out a fire that isn't threatening any infrastructure! They want to control standing dead fuels too and everyone knows there's a lot of that in beetle kill areas.
I was attempting to be sarcastic to make light of the crappy smoke situation . I think the firefighters are doing a great job, as always!

It's hotter and drier in the interior than the Sonoran desert right now, with lighting in the forecast, we might just be getting started with the fires. I'm ready for a season ending rain event for sure.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Of course, the smoke sucks because it's ruining the air quality but the temps are real nice.

For the first time ever, it actually feels like a real East Coast summer, just appreciatively drier.

This is fabulous, except for the smoke and the flooding caused by glacial melting.

No it feels awful. I moved from the east coast (Virginia) to get away from that crap. Mid to upper 60s is just warm enough thank you.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
No it feels awful. I moved from the east coast (Virginia) to get away from that crap. Mid to upper 60s is just warm enough thank you.
That's how warm it was here today, in Juneau, and it felt just right. Some clouds too-hooray! Air Index down in the 50's, so still a bit smokey but not so bad. 80's here, as it was this past weekend, feels hotter than 80's anywhere else I've been. It seems more like SE Asia-90's and humid.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 PM

I am envious that you can see that there are clouds in your sky. Our weather report says "partly cloudy." I laughed... like, really? How could you tell?

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but it's pretty bad in Fairbanks. The PM2.5 is between 250-325 right now, depending on where in town you measure it. I saw two people wearing SCBA respirators today and I didn't even laugh. In fact, I was a little envious and I thought, yeah, they're smart.

Stuck inside, hot, smoky, no A/C,.. uhh muh guhd I think I'm gunna die

Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I am envious that you can see that there are clouds in your sky. Our weather report says "partly cloudy." I laughed... like, really? How could you tell?

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but it's pretty bad in Fairbanks. The PM2.5 is between 250-325 right now, depending on where in town you measure it. I saw two people wearing SCBA respirators today and I didn't even laugh. In fact, I was a little envious and I thought, yeah, they're smart.

Stuck inside, hot, smoky, no A/C,.. uhh muh guhd I think I'm gunna die

That's the kind of weather typical in lower 48 western states during summer that my sister enjoys escaping from.

Monday was 14th consecutive day of 70F or above in Juneau, setting a new record. Don't think yesterday made it that high, so streak apparently over. It's still dry, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska