Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I crazy about quitting medicine in Brazil and restarting my life in Alaska?
Have you talked to your psychiatrist about it? you're nuts… 12 40.00%
Yes, the climate is horrible, people do not like outsiders and you will suffer a lot of prejudice. 7 23.33%
You'll suffer, but in the end it’ll pay off, we’re a united community, and all hard work is always rewarded. 12 40.00%
If you want start a family and a safe place to put down roots, you've chosen the right place! 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
A number of years ago I read an article which stated that in Brazil there are many more women then men. Don't remember the particulars, but in Alaska it would be the opposite which would work in her favor. I am excited for her.
You're way behind the times; Alaska isn't what it was in the pipeline days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 02:58 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
And city-data needs to enable negative rep points.
Why would that poster get a negative rep? That angle is just one more to take into account, and is just as important as all the rest. At least to some people, and less to others.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Why would that poster get a negative rep? That angle is just one more to take into account, and is just as important as all the rest. At least to some people, and less to others.
Because it's not true, as others who actually live in Alaska have pointed out several times in this thread.

It's an old legend that won't die among the -48ers. It's an old pipeline myth. Just stop it.

That said, it seems important to the OP to find a man and raise a family, and it might as well be in Alaska as anywhere. .

Old 11-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You're way behind the times; Alaska isn't what it was in the pipeline days.
I didn't write the post I was responding to. At any rate it has to be better than Brazil's ratios of men to women.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Because it's not true, as others who actually live in Alaska have pointed out several times in this thread.

It's an old legend that won't die among the -48ers.

That said, it seems important to the OP to find a man and raise a family, and it might as well be in Alaska as anywhere.
I have read every post in this thread, and so far the post I responded to was the first that this topic was brought up.

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-02-2021 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I have read every post in this thread, and so far the post I responded to was the first that this topic was brought up.
And it was explained in subsequent posts that the myth isn't true. No, you didn't write the post, but you contributed to the misconception even after those who live in Alaska explained it wasn't true.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:42 PM

There are still more men than women in Alaska. She is better off in Alaska in this respect per the links below.

"Based on the US Census Bureau’s 2016 estimated population, for every 107 men in Alaska, there are 100 women.

So rather than the rumored 100-to-1 ratio, or even a 5-to-1 ratio, there is a 1.07-to-1 ratio."

This is still significant especially when coupled with the Brazil ratio below.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/co...413782063.html

In Brazil it is the opposite, as of 2021. "There are 96.8 males per 100 females."

https://www.census.gov/popclock/world/br

The 2000 census explains why the urban areas have more women then men. So the competition for men is much greater in cities.

"The reason for the increasing numbers of women (in comparison to men), according to Alícia Bercovich, the coordinator of the 2000 Census, is because the mortality rates for women is decreasing at a faster rate with the better medical technology. But it is more than this; the numbers of women versus men is in direct correlation to the urban/rural population in Brazil. In rural areas there are more men than women, while in urban areas the opposite is the case. Thus since Brazil is 81.2 percent urban, there are and should be more women than men in the nation as a whole."
Located under gender ratios.

http://www.brazzil.com/cvrfeb01.htm

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-02-2021 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 04:03 PM

Sigh. A fairly even mix is a far cry from the "women are in short supply" comment that people who actually live in Alaska are refuting. And again, ratios are fairly even in the more urbanized parts of Alaska where the OP will be most likely to find work. Alaska's nine military bases also affect the ratio.

Other factors also apply. My particular part of Alaska is 45% female. Sounds good on paper, right?

Old 11-02-2021, 05:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Why don't you try someplace like rural Texas, work on getting your License and Citizenship nailed down first. Then work your way north to Alaska. You may have more resources in the lower 48 states first.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:42 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
There are still more men than women in Alaska. She is better off in Alaska in this respect per the links below...
Depends where in AK. Arguably in Juneau, the situation is the opposite of what you're imagining.

A single female friend of mine in her 30's certainly believes this to be the case, and she has some anecdotal evidence to back it up.

A young man from "down south" hired onto the police force this past summer posted on a Facebook real estate site in Juneau that he needed a place to stay for a few days while getting situated. My friend said there were over 30 women expressing interest in helping him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska