Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I crazy about quitting medicine in Brazil and restarting my life in Alaska?
Have you talked to your psychiatrist about it? you're nuts… 12 40.00%
Yes, the climate is horrible, people do not like outsiders and you will suffer a lot of prejudice. 7 23.33%
You'll suffer, but in the end it’ll pay off, we’re a united community, and all hard work is always rewarded. 12 40.00%
If you want start a family and a safe place to put down roots, you've chosen the right place! 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 12:57 PM

12 posts, read 14,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
From your info:
36 years old - female - single - never married - no kids...

You are an odd-ball supreme! Meaning not many like you around in this crazy world...

So you may even make it in Alaska if you ever get there in the first place.
I do not care what your present job is, medical doctor or waitress, it does not matter.

What matters is that you must be convinced that you can do it.

Do I need to say more?
No you don't. Thanks. In fact, I'll be there sooner than I thought, I'll be in Orlando for a course in my area of ​​specialty from January to February and I intend, if it works out, to extend my visit to Alaska… ☺️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 01:11 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I've never heard Brazil being described in this way. I live in America. Most Americans have minimal if any real interest in the outside world. What they see or hear is usually relegated to the short term memory spaces in the brain, where it quickly falls out through the ears and is forgotten. What most Americans know of the outside world comes to them in a few brief scenes from some movie or television show. Sure there are lots of tourist-generated images of Brazil to entice vacationers, but they are largely positive from what I've seen. Positive and.... fantasy paradises full of beautiful sophisticated tourists enjoying the pristine beaches. Like the postcards of Alaska.
Quote:
Spoken like a true American. Since your own experience with one daughter seems to contradict what I've said in general, it must all be a bunch of hype. Reality is comprised of what you see on your doorstep. Everything else is twaddle.

My wife and I have a combined 46 years of experience in education. I can assure you that remedial classes exist at the college level, and our illiteracy rates are staggering. There are lots of stats, but here are 3 particularly insightful ones: In America, 50% of the unemployed between the ages of 16 and 21 cannot read well enough to be considered functionally literate; and... approximately 50% of Americans read so poorly that they are unable to perform simple tasks such as reading prescription drug labels. 50% of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level. These are stats sourced from recent studies.

For college students, nearly 10 percent of the college graduates surveyed thought Judith Sheindlin, TV's "Judge Judy," is a member of the U.S. Supreme Court. Less than 20 percent of the college graduates knew the effect of the Emancipation Proclamation. More than a quarter of the college graduates did not know Franklin D. Roosevelt was president during World War II; one-third did not know he was the president who spearheaded the New Deal. “The National Survey of America’s College Students” from 2006 claimed that about 20 percent of U.S. college students completing four-year degrees—and 30 percent of students earning two-year degrees—have only basic quantitative literacy skills. Meaning they are unable to estimate if their car has enough gasoline to get to the next gas station or calculate the total cost of ordering office supplies.

It's not hype. It's truth. BTW... how many countries can you name?

On my small street, we have 4 continents represented. As in people who were actually born on those continents, not second generation. That's one thing I love about America. I'm sorry you have such a negative view of Americans. Nothing you stated above means that people have no interest in other countries. They may be learning about other countries by talking to others or communicating with them on forums like this.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true American. Since your own experience with one daughter seems to contradict what I've said in general, it must all be a bunch of hype. Reality is comprised of what you see on your doorstep. Everything else is twaddle.

My wife and I have a combined 46 years of experience in education. I can assure you that remedial classes exist at the college level, and our illiteracy rates are staggering. There are lots of stats, but here are 3 particularly insightful ones: In America, 50% of the unemployed between the ages of 16 and 21 cannot read well enough to be considered functionally literate; and... approximately 50% of Americans read so poorly that they are unable to perform simple tasks such as reading prescription drug labels. 50% of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level. These are stats sourced from recent studies.

For college students, nearly 10 percent of the college graduates surveyed thought Judith Sheindlin, TV's "Judge Judy," is a member of the U.S. Supreme Court. Less than 20 percent of the college graduates knew the effect of the Emancipation Proclamation. More than a quarter of the college graduates did not know Franklin D. Roosevelt was president during World War II; one-third did not know he was the president who spearheaded the New Deal. “The National Survey of America’s College Students” from 2006 claimed that about 20 percent of U.S. college students completing four-year degrees—and 30 percent of students earning two-year degrees—have only basic quantitative literacy skills. Meaning they are unable to estimate if their car has enough gasoline to get to the next gas station or calculate the total cost of ordering office supplies.

I'm not an expert in American education, but when it comes to geography studies, I've actually seen a lot of nonsense like “Brazil is not part of America” I don't know if these people don't know that there is Central and South America or simply disregard any country that is not in North America. Most of the Americans I've talked to thought that in Brazil we speak Spanish and not Portuguese… among other things. We have many defects in Brazil, but for those who take their studies seriously, our quality is very good, an average student will know how to tell you the name of the main countries in each continent and their respective capitals (in fact, capital of Brazil for those who don't know, it is Brasília and not Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo)

Old 11-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:

and our study of history is very consistent in studying Brazilian history and general history in a divided way, in which we study all the facts that were mentioned in this post originally. Unfortunately, deficiency in other areas makes this part almost superfluous.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
There are only two ways you can legally immigrate to America: marry a citizen, or find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa which would result in a Green Card. Since you are a doctor, and are not authorized to work in the US, obviously the second option doesn't apply.

If you're OK with changing careers, I would explore job options open to you in Brazil that could qualify for an employer-sponsored visa. Google is your friend in this instance. Obviously, this is not a quick solution nor an easy one. There are always more employer visa requests than visas, and that process alone can take a couple of years.

I've known foreign-trained doctors who got their medical license in the US. It took a LONG time. It was difficult. It was expensive. One woman gave up, went back to college and retrained as a nurse. There are nurse shortages in many parts of the US and it's easier to get employment as a foreign-trained nurse. If you'd be interested in changing your medical career for a career in nursing, that might be an option. Again, Google is your friend in researching these opportunities and processes.

Your other option, as someone pointed out, is going to Alaska, seeing if it's the place for you, while at the same time exploring ways to immigrate. Who knows, maybe you'll meet someone that way, get married, and - presto - you're on your way to becoming an American. But I'm sure you know that already

I won't comment on your interest in Alaska. Many of us dream of destinations but when we finally get there, discover it's not "our place" after all. Clearly, your first step would be to visit (preferably over the winter) and try it out.

No matter what you do, prepare yourself for a long, drawn-out process. Immigrating to America isn't easy, the paperwork is overwhelming, the wait times are frustrating. Only you can decide whether it's worth it.
I know of some graduate students from Asia and other places around the world who come to Alaska with student visas to complete some of their career-related studies. Since the medical field (workers) in Alaska is in such a high demand, there is a pretty good chance for the US government to make room for immigrants who already have medical and other degrees. For the past 25 years I worked with students for a lot of places around the world, specially India, Korea, and China among the few. I know a Korean young lady (she was around 22 when I met her), and she was already an attorney in Korea. But she decided on a career in petroleum engineering, add completed her studies within 4 year.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Telling someone who wants to move to Alaska to spend a few years in Texas first is like telling someone who wants to be an executive chef to start off by getting a job at Denny's, lol.
Good points. The lady is a professional already, and it is very possible that she has the means to eventually achieve what she wants.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
From your info:
36 years old - female - single - never married - no kids...

You are an odd-ball supreme! Meaning not many like you around in this crazy world...

So you may even make it in Alaska if you ever get there in the first place.
I do not care what your present job is, medical doctor or waitress, it does not matter.

Do I need to say more?
a. Do you really believe that marrying and having kids at a young age is the best way for anybody to complete a medical degree, and then practice it? It takes around 12 years after graduating from HS to be able to practice as a medical doctor, and that is if you are lucky. It can take a lot longer than that. By then you are in the in the 30's, and if lucky enough you are working to pay the loans for your education

b. Now, this part (as told by you) is completely true:
Quote:

Old 11-16-2021, 11:46 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Gomes View Post
Thank you for your words. Yes, I have already graduated and have done medical residency in Brazil and have been working for the last 10 years, and yes, to practice in the US it is necessary to pass the validation exams (USMLE) and a other medical residency, it’s the same process as the medical student in USA need to do to practice. The difference is that in some countries our training already counts, you only need the course validation test, in the US, in addition to the test, you need a new medical residency...
I don't understand why you are thinking about AK at this stage.
I know many people that came from South America after med school. You will want to come, ideally find some sort of job related to the medical field (easiest is usually work in a science lab affiliated to a med school/hospital). While you are working there you take your step exams (which are going to be extremely hard because some of it is basic stuff, biology etc. Stuff you haven't had to study in a long time if you have 10 years of experience in the medical field already). Then, with your score, you are going to try to match to an hospital, if you have a good score you will match where you want (unless maybe you want a Harvard hospital) if you have a bad score you take whatever. I don't think there is much of a chance to match to a program in AK because there are very few spots and they may even all be associated with the med school in Seattle, and also there may be only 1 specialty available.
So chance is that you are not going to be in AK for your residency. Afterwards is going to be a different story, but we are talking, at the earliest 5-6 years from now.

Good luck to you, I personally wouldn't want to go back to school at your age but that is up to you of course.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Alaska has a residency program. I linked it earlier in the thread. I don't understand why people who know nothing about this area persist in giving inaccurate information.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:59 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alaska has a residency program. I linked it earlier in the thread. I don't understand why people who know nothing about this area persist in giving inaccurate information.
That's exactly what I said. There is a single program, with only family medicine available. Very few spots available and the chances to get there are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska