Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
"You see, it turns out they’ve discovered an oil field up north in Montana and the Dakotas and into Canada that is bigger than Saudi Arabia’s largest oil field."
Hmmm... wonder if that would be considered US oil or Canadian? Who gets the money? The country where the well is drilled, or do we spilt it 50/50?

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: broken tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I think that this energy crisis is artificial. Who is behind it & what their purpose is for promoting it, I'm not quite sure.
I definitely think it's artificially inflated and alarmist at least. We do have an energy problem, as well as an ecological one... but I don't think either are quite as "Chicken Little" as they are being made out by the media and political agendas.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,116 times
Quote:
I get a variety of different financial & investment newsletters. One of them that I find very interesting is talking about a 500 billion barrel oil field here in the USA.

Here an article about as well as the link to it. If is true it would be great, finally stick it to those blood suckers at OPEC.

Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase US reserves by 10x

Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Hmmm... wonder if that would be considered US oil or Canadian? Who gets the money? The country where the well is drilled, or do we spilt it 50/50?
It looks like a chunk of it is also in the Lakota Nation.

http://users.dma.ucla.edu/~estevancarlos/images/lakotanation.jpg
Lakota Indians unilaterally withdraw from treaties with US, declare independent & sovereign country « HoodaThunk?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Well that would definitely complicate things, especially if our gov't allowed them to retain the mineral rights on that land. In essence, we'd have 3 nations fighting over the same reserve... and the Lakota might not allow drilling on their land anyway (they're pretty pissed at us and I can't blame them). Hopefully, if we do end up drilling this reserve, we don't start a war over it right here on our own soil!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Does anyone think that if this type of economy continues it might lead to the end of Wall Street investing?

I mean, Wall Street hears a speech from someone and inflates or deflates values based on speculation that throws off the actual open market.

Is a point coming where we grow weary of them milking our economy for their self interest?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Does anyone think that if this type of economy continues it might lead to the end of Wall Street investing?

I mean, Wall Street hears a speech from someone and inflates or deflates values based on speculation that throws off the actual open market.

Is a point coming where we grow weary of them milking our economy for their self interest?
I don't think so. As always, some investors invest on certain companies and become shareholders, while others invest in other companies. If the company does well, then they make money. If it doesn't then they lose. Not all investors invest in the same company, but in a myriad of companies. There was a huge deposit found in Brazil's waters, so lots of investors invested on Brazil Oil. That's the way the market works. Those who have a lot of money can accumulate oil, silver, gold, etc., and then sell when the price if high enough. However, some on this can be illegal, I believe. Governments still do it. For example, we put oil in the large reserves, and so most governments around the world.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

It's doubtful, if the Great Depression in the 20's didn't shut the Stock Market down, I doubt another depression would.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 PM

115 posts, read 366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Some of the staple markers of our economy are starting to fail.

We have a drastically shrinking travel industry, especially airlines.

Retail giants like Home depot are starting to fail and stores closing

Housing prices have come down an average of 15% and dropping like a rock going on 3 consecutive years now

Repos at an all time high

Banks going belly up

Energy costs have doubled in the past 3 years

Food costs have went up 20% and are rising as we speak. Predictions of another 30% increase are on the board and even food shortages are forecast.

Unemployment has risen for 5 consecutive quarters and will continue to rise.

Outsourcing of entire industries (fleecing of America) continues at an alarming rate

More American's then ever going bankrupt, only with recent law changes there is no bankruptcy protection. The average American files bankruptcy due to their inability to pay medical bills

25% of banks in the US have or are loosing money and are on the verge of going belly up. That percentage increases monthly. FDIC anyone?

The dollar at a fifty year low compared to all other currencies and dropping daily. So you're responsible and save? Your dollar is only worth 75% of what it was worth just 18 months ago! Do you earn 25% interest? Didn't think so.

All the huge red flags are there. A major US depression is on the way. I'll all but guarantee it. Not recession, DEPRESSSION!
I agree. A depression might just kick start the economy all over again!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
>>I think that this energy crisis is artificial. Who is behind it & what their purpose is for promoting it, I'm not quite sure.>>

Nothing artificial about the price of gas at the pump going up TRIPLE since 9/11. I spend $600 a month on fuel. In 2001 I spent $200. That's not artificial. Out-of-pocket is as real as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: