Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

. and here is a list of the Top 25 METROS in the USA:

Safest 25:
1 Appleton, WI
2 Fond du Lac, WI
3 Bismarck, ND
4 State College, PA
5 Oshkosh-Neenah, WI
6 Bangor, ME
7 Harrisonburg, VA
8 Binghamton, NY
9 Wausau, WI
10 La Crosse, WI-MN
11 Columbus, IN
12 Edison, NJ M.D.
13 Sheboygan, WI
14 Nassau-Suffolk, NY M.D
15 Glens Falls, NY
16 Rockingham County, NH M.D.
17 Portland, ME
18 Fargo, ND-MN
19 Provo-Orem, UT
20 Grand Forks, ND-MN
21 Williamsport, PA
22 Poughkeepsie, NY
23 Cambridge-Newton, MA M.D.[/
24 Lewiston, ID-WA
25 Bloomington, IN

Most Dangerous 25:
1 Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.[/
2 Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3 Sumter, SC
4 Fairbanks, AK
5 New Orleans, LA
6 Miami-Dade County, FL M.D
7 Myrtle Beach, SC
8 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9 Victoria, TX
10 Florence, SC
11 Stockton, CA
12 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
13 Pine Bluff, AR
14 Lafayette, LA
15 Jackson, MS
16 Saginaw, MI
17 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
18 Tucson, AZ
19 Los Angeles County, CA M.D
20 Baltimore-Towson, MD
21 Albuquerque, NM
22 Vineland, NJ
23 Montgomery, AL
24 Little Rock, AR
25 Charleston-North Charleston, SC

Is the Fairbanks metroplex really that dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Fairbanks is just a portion of a larger area, so again we are forced to ask the source of you material. Personally myself and everyone I know have never been accosted here.
The rub here is there are only 3 city patrol cars per shift on average. The troopers have 3 or 4 for an area the size of some states, we also get some fringe annoyances from the airport police and the university police. Mainly the latter two are either training a new person or out trying to $ up their dept with DUIs or other money making ventures. There does seem to be a DUI issue here but no one has found a solution for a safe and inexpensive (relativily) method home. Not like in some states where you can walk home from the corner bar after a couple of beers.

Want facts? City-Data does pretty good with that informaion, along with the city of Fairbanks web pages.

The back in the 70s when we were supposed to be having race riots downtown, turned out to be young Army guys fighting amongst themselves. Lots of now is related to some of them.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Not so sure about that list, seems fairly arbitrary to me, particularly the worst places. Well..... best places don't seem right to me either, seems to be skewed representation for colder climates, not that I dislike colder climates, just Williamsburg Va is a very nice town, really low crime rate and lots of jobs. Round Rock, Texas, while damn hot, is friendly, lots of work, low crime. Greensboro, NC, youth oriented, very active live theatre community, 2 universities, 3 colleges and a strong multi-faceted Community College, Charlotte, while too large for my taste has most professional sports, restaurants, theatres with a friendly, laid back atmosphere. Much the same for Durham, Raleigh is a hole, if it were not for Atlanta, it would have the worst traffic in the south. Most of S. Carolina deserves to be on the b list, if for no other reason than the proliferation of speed traps. The Myrtle Beach jail is like a really high priced hotel with no amenities that the locals like to cram past maximum capacity, more than half the inmates do not have beds or adequate floor space (experience speaking here, spent one night there, have not been back to myrtle beach since). Myrtle Beach should be rated higher on the list. The trouble with most lists of this ilk, more lists can be created disputing their veracity.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Most Dangerous 25:
1 Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.[/
2 Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3 Sumter, SC
4 Fairbanks, AK

Is the Fairbanks metroplex really that dangerous?[/font]
Hey, that's pretty good! Means that in the last 30 years it has skipped down the list two notches.

The Third Judicial District based in Fairbanks used to have the second highest violent crime rate, per capita, of any place in the US. It was bested only by some particular ghetto slum on the east coast.

Now, of course that is only a small part of the story. In fact it not a dangerous place at all, and you (for example) would probably be about as safe from violent crime there as you could get anywhere in the country!

The Third Judicial District includes much of Western Alaska, as well as the Interior. It is a huge area with a relatively sparse population. Outside the urban Fairbanks area it is very very rare for any non-resident to be a victim of violence from a resident. On the other hand, the average hitch hiker on the Richardson Highway has served at least one prison term for a violent crime, so non- residents are not necessarily non-violent (but they only exist on the highway system too).

But what drives the per capita violent crime statistics up is that in most of bush Alaska we tend to drink in a different way than people in other places do. If we have booze, we drinks. We drinks until it is gone. One bottle? A small short party. 10 cases? A big drunken brawl that lasts for a good while! One offshoot of that is that at the "end" of the longer and more drunken brawls, folks are less in control... and often they tend to shoot at each other.

The people of bush Alaska a pretty good at hitting what they shoot at... so eventually the Troopers get involved at it becomes another statistic in the violent crime list.

If you don't drink with people here, you will never see any of the violence. Simple as that, and it is each individual's choice too!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,879 times
Uh, NO, Fairbanks is no where like many of the other locales on that list (Washington, D.C.--oh yeah, didn't make it/Detroit/etc). Laughable imo.

Let me put up the bicycles and lock the vehicle doors when going off post into Fairbanks...gotta watch out for that "plethora" of violent crime...

Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Wow! My state WI got 6 in the top 25 safest places & none in the top 25 most dangerous. Now I can go & tell all the scaredy-cats living here in Milwaukee it's not all that bad. Whew!

Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
And you wonder by what standards are they judging. Safe/dangerous as compared to what? Where is the reference point?

I take these lists with less than a grain of salt. One of these "most dangerous lists" had Paris, Tx as a dangerous city. I about laughed out of my pants. (don't comment on that).

I do like Appleton, WI. Nice place, if you can find work.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM

88 posts, read 221,496 times
that's a pretty strange list in general. Good job South Carolina, making four appearances on the list!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Ummm! Fairbanks is in the fourth judicial district, and Anchorage is in the third.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Laughable imo.
That's what I was thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska