Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I was not clear in my previous post. By "bear dog," I was referring to dogs that can protect you from bears by scaring it away from you. We have such breeds in Alaska, and I have heard of dog trainers training Karelian dogs, as well as Mckenzie River Huskies.

Now, our dog would probably harass a bear, and then run between my legs trying to get away from it. However, she eats her dog food, plus the following: white tuna, lots of salmon, canned herring, a boiled egg every now and then, chicken, etc. (never raw). She loves lettuce, a little grass form the backyard, wild raspberry, wild strawberry, wild blueberries, carrots, celery, string beans, corn, peas, pinto beans, and doesn't mind a little garlic in her food. I have been thinking of letting her have a taste of beer every now and then, since I am a wine drinker (which is poisonous to them).

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-12-2008 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM

305 posts, read 683,222 times
It's been a while since I stopped by, and this is the post that caught my eye. I've a dog by my side, a yeller one at that, who snores in the night and sits in my lap. She's a chaser of sticks, of balls, and minds well; just ask her to fetch and she'd run clear to hell if she thought I'd keep throwin', but you niver kin tell just when she'll grow tired and feel like a rest; it's tough on the arm when she acts like a pest. Crazy Annie is happy and loyal and true, polite and demure when acting on cue; just give her a biscuit, a rub and a pat, and her heart's yours forever wherever she's at.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Agree on the food, treats, and the eyes!! We went from malemute/wolf mixes to cockers they are the early warning detection system...Not good on their own because so protective had two almost get killed my moose up here Years ago had an Am eskimo - and she was the sweetest little girl, but still her own dog...You bring whatever dog you want, judging the weather where you will be...Mine are sissies and like to be in the house, but fine with me, and they get lots of salmon leftovers, bones,skin, what is left from filets, have frozen in baggies, and have salmon broth frozen for them too, add to rice, vegies, egg, whatever is okay for them and get a treat about twice a week, and then their homemade treats... So pick what works for you, and make it your buddy

Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 PM

411 posts, read 962,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps I was not clear in my previous post. By "bear dog," I was referring to dogs that can protect you from bears by scaring it away from you. We have such breeds in Alaska, and I have heard of dog trainers training Karelian dogs, as well as Mckenzie River Huskies.

Now, our dog would probably harass a bear, and then run between my legs trying to get away from it. However, she eats her dog food, plus the following: white tuna, lots of salmon, canned herring, a boiled egg every now and then, chicken, etc. (never raw). She loves lettuce, a little grass form the backyard, wild raspberry, wild strawberry, wild blueberries, carrots, celery, string beans, corn, peas, pinto beans, and doesn't mind a little garlic in her food. I have been thinking of letting her have a taste of beer every now and then, since I am a wine drinker (which is poisonous to them).

Sorry to steal yer post.

The worst thing you're dog could do is bolt out after a larger animal and then bring it back towards you all pissed off and snarly. Training, training, training, and love. Down south they've hunted bear with some special breeds, blue ticks, heelers? Not sure which anymore. google it. They chase, harrass em and put em up a tree. They hunt in packs. Always in packs. Then the hunters come in and, well, do what hunters do.

Having you're dog trained by another is an option. Training you're dog on you're own can be done. Depending on where you're going to be, or are living, I would make sure the breed of choice can handle the climate you're in and go from there.

Apologies again.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times
Wanderer - all my dogs are fed Pedigree, only kind I ever will purchase.

Ray - Roxie, the Black Lab, is my vegetable eater as well...tomatoes are her favourite and carrots.

The Bug eats only Pedigree, he has a sensitive constitution Absolutely nothing else or his stomach and my carpet suffers.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
I want another black lab. I miss Rowdy. I had him for about 9 years, he was a great dog. One time we went camping and it was a long day. I forgot I brought him along in the morning, I went out to take care of business in the woods and I thought a bear was running for me! Of course the gun was in the tent and out of the trees pops out Rowdy! I was glad to see him after the bear scare.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
OK you're moving to Alaska...get an Alaskan dog. Maybe an Alaskan Malamute? They are so smart, large (at least the true M'Loot Mals are), protective, and very loyal companions. They were actually used by the Inuit people in the Arctic for taking down and protection from polar bears. Not that I'm biased (even tho I am) but I happen to raise Mals and will have some litters available this Fall/Winter. If you are looking for one now, contact Wakon kennels in WA, she will ship them to you. She has the best and is where we got ours from. She has been raising Mals for 50 years. Whatever you do get an Alaskan dog, their coats are designed for this climate. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
I've had several German Shepherds here. Several years ago, on a overnight hike to a cabin, we knew there were brown bears around that night and morning. On the hike out, he was on alert the whole time and stuck close to us. He could smell them, but we didn't see anything.

We currently have a GSD we rescued a couple of months ago and he's keeping the bears out of the fenced backyard. I wouldn't trust him on a trail though as he likely chase after a bear and then run back with the bear in tow.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
I like shepards, very smart dogs. My Dad is a cop and used them in the force, they are very good dogs!!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Akitas and Mastiffs are good bear dogs. Not just because of their size, but because they don't bark or harass the wildlife like most other dogs. They insert themselves between their master and the threat, they don't growl or bark and they will not chase wildlife. The Japanese Akita is probably more suited to Alaskan winters, and was originally bred to hunt bear (among other things).

Can any domesticated dog take out a bear? Not a chance. But a well trained dog could make the bear think twice about attacking, or at the very least distract the bear long enough for you to get your camp gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska