Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
OK you're moving to Alaska...get an Alaskan dog. Maybe an Alaskan Malamute? They are so smart, large (at least the true M'Loot Mals are), protective, and very loyal companions. They were actually used by the Inuit people in the Arctic for taking down and protection from polar bears. Not that I'm biased (even tho I am) but I happen to raise Mals and will have some litters available this Fall/Winter. If you are looking for one now, contact Wakon kennels in WA, she will ship them to you. She has the best and is where we got ours from. She has been raising Mals for 50 years. Whatever you do get an Alaskan dog, their coats are designed for this climate. Good Luck!
Agree with you about getting an Alaska dog, if the idea is to have a companion on trails where bears may roam. Malamute are great dogs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Depends on where you are going to live. There are [or were] a lot of labs in Kodiak, and the first dog I had there was a lab. My ex also raised Siberians for awhile, but eventually got tired of the whole thing, had the ******* spayed and left all of them with me when he took off. I had a neighbor some years later who raised Karelians, but from what I saw of them, I wouldn't have one - simply because he didn't bother either socializing the pups or training them in any way. They also hunt in packs, as do the Tahltan bear dogs. Their purpose is to distract the bear while the hunters kill it - not to protect anyone on it's own.

There were a lot of mals and mal and siberian crosses, and lab crosses, as well in Kodiak. I fostered a Wakon dog once and while it was pretty, it wasn't trustworthy around other animals - more lack of training. The one remaining AK dog I have now is a cross, lab/newfie/village husky, and she's big enough to give almost anything a moment of worry - but she's also the world's friendliest dog, thinks anyone who comes to visit has come to see HER. There's another breed that hasn't been mentioned that would be suitable for life in Alaska, and that's the Russian Black Terrier. It's a big dog, males run around 130 lbs, and they were created as guard dogs - originally combining rottweilers, airedales, giant schnauzers, and newfoundlands. But it's strictly a working dog, and needs a job - great as a family guard dog, agility, schutzhund, whatever, but it definitely needs to know from jump street that YOU are the boss of it.

As for small dogs and eagles, yes, eagles can and do eat them, along with foxes. Small dogs and cats running loose tend to have a short life span. An eagle can carry off a 16 lb salmon, so if your dog is smaller than that, well, you take your chances.

Last edited by karibear; 08-13-2008 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,962 times
Wakon dogs are good dogs for their breed but unfortuneately she does not have enough time to socialize all of them and it is up to the new owner for that. It is all in their training and how they are disciplined.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default perfect Alaska dog

The perfect Alaska dog would probably be a Chinese Hairless Dog. Oh sure, it'd never go outside with you on a hike, but think about how toasty it'd keep your feet under the covers.

If you somehow end up getting a "real" Alaska dog, make sure you get a pickup truck as well. There's nothing like climbing into a small car with 130 lbs of soaking wet lab that reeks of spawned-out salmon to convince you to get a lap dog next time, especially on a freezing cold day.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Malamutes are indeed wonderful dogs. Great Pyrenees are also large breed guardians that are particularly suited to Alaska's climate.

It should be noted that guardian breeds typically want to be with the family they are suppose to be guarding. They will not be happy being left outside all day if it means they are not close to the family they are suppose to be protecting, regardless of the weather. Mastiffs, Malamutes, Great Pyrenees, and other guardian dogs are happiest at the feet of their master. So unless the master spends a great deal of time outdoors, the dog doesn't necessarily need to be equipped to handle Alaska's harsh winters.

Another trait that seems to be common among the giant breed dogs is their gentleness toward family and friends. Irish Wolfhounds, Great Danes, Saint Bernards, and all the others are devoutly loyal with a gentle temperament.

There isn't one breed of dog that is better than all the others. It really boils down to personal preference.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:51 AM

286 posts, read 1,150,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The perfect Alaska dog would probably be a Chinese Hairless Dog. Oh sure, it'd never go outside with you on a hike, but think about how toasty it'd keep your feet under the covers.

If you somehow end up getting a "real" Alaska dog, make sure you get a pickup truck as well. There's nothing like climbing into a small car with 130 lbs of soaking wet lab that reeks of spawned-out salmon to convince you to get a lap dog next time, especially on a freezing cold day.
Yep, there's nothing a big dog likes better than to roll around in a dead fish on the ground.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
We've been looking at Mastiffs. Technically, we're "End of Roaders" since we're not quite out in the Bush, just in the middle of nowhere a mile off a gravel road. But, still, we'll be in bear country and will have livestock that needs protection from various predators in the area. The reasons we've considered them over other livestock guardian dogs is that they are breed for the cold (from Tibet and Mongolia), are HUGE, very intelligent and pretty independent. We considered other guardian breeds, including Great Pyrenees, but all seem to have issues either with the weather or occassionally eating their charges (GPs are known for getting a taste for your hens). So far, the only drawbacks we see with Mastifss is keeping them fed (did I mention they are HUGE?!) and finding a breeder/trainer in AK.

I'm not opposed to getting an Alaskan breed by any means, I just haven't found much data on whether they make good livestock guardians or not. Most of the info I find on Mals, et al, is about bear defense/warning and using them as work dogs (mostly draft/pack, like sledding and hiking). If anyone has any info on their suitability for guarding/herding goats on pasture, and chickens etc in the barnyard... send me a DM or link please!!!

Otherwise, does anyone know a Mastiff breeder/trainer in AK? If not, I might have to get them down here and try to tote them with us up to AK next spring and pray they are trained properly and still small enough to travel with!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We've been looking at Mastiffs. Technically, we're "End of Roaders" since we're not quite out in the Bush, just in the middle of nowhere a mile off a gravel road. But, still, we'll be in bear country and will have livestock that needs protection from various predators in the area. The reasons we've considered them over other livestock guardian dogs is that they are breed for the cold (from Tibet and Mongolia), are HUGE, very intelligent and pretty independent. We considered other guardian breeds, including Great Pyrenees, but all seem to have issues either with the weather or occassionally eating their charges (GPs are known for getting a taste for your hens). So far, the only drawbacks we see with Mastifss is keeping them fed (did I mention they are HUGE?!) and finding a breeder/trainer in AK.

I'm not opposed to getting an Alaskan breed by any means, I just haven't found much data on whether they make good livestock guardians or not. Most of the info I find on Mals, et al, is about bear defense/warning and using them as work dogs (mostly draft/pack, like sledding and hiking). If anyone has any info on their suitability for guarding/herding goats on pasture, and chickens etc in the barnyard... send me a DM or link please!!!

Otherwise, does anyone know a Mastiff breeder/trainer in AK? If not, I might have to get them down here and try to tote them with us up to AK next spring and pray they are trained properly and still small enough to travel with!
I own a Mastiff/Lab mixed male. They do tend to get rather large. In September Buddy will be 1 year old and weigh just under 100 pounds. He has another 6 months of growth in him, and should end up around 130 to 150 pounds by the time he has fully matured. He eats roughly 45 to 50 pounds of "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" per month which runs about $1/pound at Alaska Mill & Feed in Anchorage. He also drinks a great deal more water than any dog I have previously owned. I have to fill a 3 gallon waterbowl for him every morning.

Separation anxiety can be a problem with any dog, but with giant breeds it can be a serious issue. He got into my closet once, pulled all my clothes off their hangers and dragged them all over the house. Naturally, I keep all my interior doors closed now. Of course that didn't stop Buddy from eating a 6" hole through my wall.

I don't know how much protection a Mastiff would be for your livestock. Puppies in particular use their mouths like we use our hands. They feel compelled to taste everything. They may not be interested in eating the chickens, but you can be certain they will want to taste it, or at the very least hold it in their mouth.

As for Mastiff breeders in Alaska, I only know of one: Goliath Mastiffs - English Mastiff Puppies - Breeders Be advised, English Mastiffs are the even bigger than Tibetan Mastiffs. It is not uncommon for them to be in the 150 to 200 pound range, or even larger.

There is a breeder of Tibetan Mastiffs called "Alaska Tibetan Mastiffs" but they are actually located in Randle, Washington, not Alaska.

I rescued Buddy when he was 8 weeks old. His former owner had to give him up because her child was allergic, or so she claimed.

Last edited by Glitch; 08-14-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Thanks for the contacts, Glitch! I've heard the mastiffs stay in that "mouthy" puppy stage for almost 3 years, so I might have a few slobbered on and disgruntled goats and chickens for a while LOL!

It's doubtful that our dogs would have to suffer too much separation anxiety since it's unlikely that I will be leaving the homestead very frequently or for very long, or that both hubby and I would be gone at the same time. But thanks for the heads up about how attached they get to the family. I'll just have to try to make them understand the livestock animals are also part of the family and they need to look after the other critters when/if we are gone. In my experience with them, having a clearly defined job and purpose makes mastiffs less stressed.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
It's too warm down here in CO. for my Chesapeake Bay Retriever. We get many warm duck hunts even in November. I'm thinking she'd love it up there. Loves to break ice and swim in 35* water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska