Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times

Advertisements

I think we have both made some excellent points here and I understand too where you are coming from. I guess we will agree to disagree As far as the "you made your bed now lie in it", I guess I was brought up to face the consequences of my decisions and actions, to not blame others for my short comings and to make "responsible decisions". My first child is here because my BC Pill failed, and I'm so glad it did. I know with the pressure's of today's society not everyone feels that way, and I understand that. I know I probably am lucky that my husband and I have been together for 12 years and 6 kids later (4 our + 2 from his 1st marriage that we raise full time) we are still going strong. But that's not the case for everyone. I guess I just wish there was a better way to handle it, and a limit, and that people would think before they act.

Karibear, don't misunderstand I am not saying that all women who opt for an abortion are tramps, I was speaking of personal experiences with friends I knew who had more than one and I'm sorry there is no excuse for that type of irresponsible behaviour, they were tramps.
I also wonder if the BC pill consent thing is different state by state. My experiences were in Virginia, if it's different there than here or elsewhere, than I did not know that.

Ok ladies it's time for me to wake the brood!! Have a great day.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,147 times
Karibear have a huge hug, sounds like your mom and my so called mother were twins, but we turned out fabulous despite of them

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I wish people had a little more foresight and would be more responsible, too... human nature is so variable it's irritating sometimes! But as long as nothing is made law, we can be free to believe what we want to believe, discuss it openly and disagree with each other if we want Yeah USA!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM

Oh yeah, the BCP parental consent was in TX; but the spousal consent for sterlization was in VA. I had no problems getting BCP in MD while still a minor. So I think all the reproductive laws must vary from state to state... the feds can only make determinations about whether a state law is unconsitutional/illegal and demand it be repealed.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Oh yeah, the BCP parental consent was in TX; but the spousal consent for sterlization was in VA. I had no problems getting BCP in MD while still a minor. So I think all the reproductive laws must vary from state to state... the feds can only make determinations about whether a state law is unconsitutional/illegal and demand it be repealed.
Oh ok, My hubby was fixed in WA and I think I had to sign something agreeing to it. Actually they didn't want to do me because I am much younger than my hubby and thought I might change my mind...which I have...but that's another story.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Karibear have a huge hug, sounds like your mom and my so called mother were twins, but we turned out fabulous despite of them
Agree, My hubby has a father like that...he has nothing to do with him either.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Oh ok, My hubby was fixed in WA and I think I had to sign something agreeing to it. Actually they didn't want to do me because I am much younger than my hubby and thought I might change my mind...which I have...but that's another story.
Yes, the docs in VA/DC/MD certainly pitched a fit with me wanting sterilization at 24, especially since I didn't already have any kids. I really thought they weren't going to do it, especially since my husband was Mormon and I wasn't sure he'd consent; but luckily, he picked up on how adamant I was about the decision and consented. I have never regretted the decision, and we didn't split up because I couldn't have kids (we split for another reason entirely).

Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Just in case you didn't already know, there are a lot of kids in AK in the system who desperately need a real home and family, even if it's just a relatively short-term foster. I've seen a lot of them who grew up that way, and it isn't always a pretty sight to see what happened to them along the way.

The guy here who does my yard is rather lacking in some respects, but kids aren't one of them. He has some of his own, some he's adopted, and others he fosters, as long as they need. And they learn to be proud of who and what they are, and that there are real possibilities for them through their own work, which is still another thing he's taught them - the value of working, giving a fair day's work for their pay.

A child doesn't have to be a child of your body to be a child of your heart. It's not the one who plants the orchard who's responsible for the crop, it's the one who tends it year after year.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM

My husband and I have often thought about adopting or at least fostering. We are still looking into it, my only real concern is children who have been abused becoming abusers, possibly to my children. I have heard some real horro storied from people in the system, and always wanted to help but obviously my kids come first and I don't want to put them at risk. But we are still seriously considering how we can help.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
My husband and I have often thought about adopting or at least fostering. We are still looking into it, my only real concern is children who have been abused becoming abusers, possibly to my children. I have heard some real horro storied from people in the system, and always wanted to help but obviously my kids come first and I don't want to put them at risk. But we are still seriously considering how we can help.
Go slow if you have doubts....many ways to help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska