Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I worked on a salmon fishing boat out of King Salmon, Alaska, back in the summer of 1995. I was in college, and a good friend of mine and me went up in the hopes of making a TON of cash.
It was some of the hardest work of my life. We worked 12, 14, 16 hour days of nonstop stacking of salmon trays on a rocking boat. We did eat really well, watched Seinfield episode tapes when there were no fish, and got to know a ton of sketchy, yet amusing, characters.
As for the money, we didn't make nearly as much as we thought we would. We wound up after 2 months, making around $3800. Yeah, that's it!!! With overtime and everything. Of course, we were only making like 6 bucks an hour. And we didn't work every single day, due to waiting on the fish to come in.
When we were finished, we had the choice of staying on the boat for another month, or coming back up for crab season and making "the big bucks." Everyone told us crabbing was one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. That's what kept us from going. I guess if you are up for extremely hard work, tremendous physical exertion, and have no major responsibilities, then go for it. It is a learning experience, and an experience of a lifetime, I'm sure!
Pretty much what we were telling some other guys that wanted to go out and do the same thing to make the "Big Bucks", but I don't think they were interested in hearing it, they had minds made up to work on a Processor and figured that we were pulling his leg... which of course, none of us would ever do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Pretty much what we were telling some other guys that wanted to go out and do the same thing to make the "Big Bucks", but I don't think they were interested in hearing it, they had minds made up to work on a Processor and figured that we were pulling his leg... which of course, none of us would ever do....
I really wonder why some of those twits refuse to believe what they are told. It's not like there haven't been plenty of links posted as well, telling them what to expect. If they don't want the truth, I can't imagine why they bother asking - I guess that TV show is gonna have a lot to answer for some day. It hasn't been remotely real since the first year, when so many viewers complained about how 'depressing' it was to hear/see about boats going down and people dying or getting seriously hurt. Though, knowing what I do now, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably pick a processor too, at least on a processor there are regular shifts, so you don't have to work around the clock. My late husband was on a crabber once in the Bering where the skippers were brothers, and they double teamed the crew. One of them was always awake and wanting the crew to work - as I recall, the whole crew walked off once they got to Dutch.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I really wonder why some of those twits refuse to believe what they are told. It's not like there haven't been plenty of links posted as well, telling them what to expect. If they don't want the truth, I can't imagine why they bother asking - I guess that TV show is gonna have a lot to answer for some day. It hasn't been remotely real since the first year, when so many viewers complained about how 'depressing' it was to hear/see about boats going down and people dying or getting seriously hurt. Though, knowing what I do now, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably pick a processor too, at least on a processor there are regular shifts, so you don't have to work around the clock. My late husband was on a crabber once in the Bering where the skippers were brothers, and they double teamed the crew. One of them was always awake and wanting the crew to work - as I recall, the whole crew walked off once they got to Dutch.
Funny part is that the way "Crabbing" use to be, isn't since the buyback and the boats don't have the time constraints like the show still implies. It stills portrays the Crabbing as it was six years ago....

Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Funny part is that the way "Crabbing" use to be, isn't since the buyback and the boats don't have the time constraints like the show still implies. It stills portrays the Crabbing as it was six years ago....
Yup. And the show also doesn't tell about the boats that miss the entire season when something breaks and they have to have a vital part flown in from Seattle. Was one that happened to in '99, I think. Their engine was up and running about 3 hours after the season closed, iirc. It sucks when an entire season is measured in hours.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Just thought our current crop of trolls could use some lessons. This is how it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska