Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,045 times

Advertisements

ive been thinking about moving to alaska for some time now, i dont have a job lined up yet because im still looking into moving there. the main things that appeal to me is the hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, and the fact that it isnt so populated. i want a house thats sort of set out by its self where i can do what i want with out bothering anyone but im 20 years old and single so i dont want to be too far away from the city and everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Once you come up for a visit you'll be able to answer all these questions for yourself. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Generally speaking, we often recommend Anchorage to new comers. It is the largest city in Alaska, therefore has the most jobs and the lowest cost-of-living. It is also the most like the lower-48 in culture. Once they have a job and a place to live in Anchorage, they will be able to assess for themselves what part of Alaska suits them best.

Naturally, this sort of general advice does not work for everyone. It depends on your specific needs. Alaskans perform all the activities you mentioned, regardless of where they live. So that does not narrow down a specific location.

Most homes in Anchorage, like in most lower-48 cities, are on quarter acre lots. South Anchorage offers larger lots, but if you want an acre or more you will most likely have to move out of Anchorage.

You should also consider what kind of weather conditions you prefer. Alaska is a big state. The differences in weather patterns from one area to another can be significant.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM

42 posts, read 108,019 times
Sounds like a place near some of the mountain ranges is what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You should also consider what kind of weather conditions you prefer. Alaska is a big state. The differences in weather patterns from one area to another can be significant.
What Glitch says is also important. If really cold temperatures during the winters is what you want, someplace in the interior would do. But if you want more snow and not as much cold, the south-central area or the panhandle is for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by aloft94; 12-21-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM

54 posts, read 104,912 times
Default Why Move To Alaska?

I dont know why all these people are moving to alaska, if your looking for work theres not much here, Construction field is getting worse every year. The cost of living in anchorage is outrages, the traffic is horable, our fish streams are over crowded with anglers, and the dogs are taking over the city, Permenit Fund checks are getting smaller and when that pipe line shuts down them checks will go away. Schools are over crowded, crime rate is climbing. BUT it is pretty. So if you must come make sure you have a good paying job, leave your bad driving habits and you dog behind.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGRUMPY View Post
I dont know why all these people are moving to alaska, if your looking for work theres not much here, Construction field is getting worse every year. The cost of living in anchorage is outrages, the traffic is horable, our fish streams are over crowded with anglers, and the dogs are taking over the city, Permenit Fund checks are getting smaller and when that pipe line shuts down them checks will go away. Schools are over crowded, crime rate is climbing. BUT it is pretty. So if you must come make sure you have a good paying job, leave your bad driving habits and you dog behind.
IMO it is a matter of time before Alaska will be just like the -48. Crime has already increased over the years.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
^ I would have to strongly disagree. I know you're more qualified than I am to say that, since you live there and all, but every single person I have talked to about me moving to Alaska has said, "Man, I don't know why you would ever do that; it's waaaay too cold up there!" Usually I say, "Yeah, it's really cold man, you wouldn't like it." Don't wanna encourage everyone else to move up there too. That would defeat the whole purpose.

Also, OLGRUMPY is talking about Anchorage, not Alaska.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGRUMPY View Post
Geez, makes me wonder why I live here...

Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
2 different people can be standing in the same location...and see two different things.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
OLGRUMPY....until you move out an live somewhere else you will not understand the reason for people wanting to move to Alaska....certain ones will stay as it is a fit for them and Alaska has a way of quickly sending the misfits on their way back to the -48's....Rance...great statement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska