Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,427 times

Advertisements

Folks, pay no attention to that nimrod from the People's Republik of Commiefornia. He has already proven what a vitriolic blowhard he is and by responding to his predictable diatribes, you encourage him to come back and spew more idiocy. As many of you know, I spent almost a year living in San Jose before I moved here. Believe me when I say that most people down there live in some sort of fairy-tale world where the government is the answer to every problem and higher taxes and more spending will always fix everything. Honest to God, it's like there some sort of mass psychosis in effect down there. It's almost frightening to see so many people act as nothing more than sheep.

Quote:
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said his state's finances have deteriorated so rapidly that a budget he signed just six weeks ago has already fallen into a $11.2 billion deficit and taxes must be raised. Schwarzenegger ordered lawmakers into a special session to consider ways to close the gap. He proposed increasing the sales tax by 1.5 percentage points for three years as well as raising oil severance and alcoholic beverage taxes and motor vehicle fees. In all, taxes and fees would increase $4.7 billion while spending is cut $4.5 billion.
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

Do you see what happens when the moron "progressives" (Arnie doesn't count because he's a RINO) are allowed to run the show? Obama and his ilk want to turn this entire country into a larger version of the People's Republik.

That mouthy annoyance from Silicon Valley has managed to turn this thread into another political battle. I'm sorry folks for coming down so hard on this lemming and probably stirring him out of his cave but I can't let his nonsensical prattle go unanswered.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 11-19-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Notrees, I haven't asked you to stay away, just to make the effort to NOT antagonize all of the regulars to the Alaska forum. A difference of opinion is healthy discussion, but you have implied that if we are conservatives, we are lacking in judgment. Maintaining a conservative in office is the right of the constituency, until, if and when, that conservative politician is replaced by the constituency.

Stevens' loss is not so much a transformation of the majority to a liberal outlook as it is a backlash to a conviction in court of the incumbent. The timing of this case bothers me on several levels. But done is done. If this had come out earlier, indictment and conviction, and we had selected another Republican, he/she would probably have defeated Begich. This state is still, at it's core, conservative. It is the nature of living closer to the edge.

"Civilized" areas tend to be more liberal, as adherence to a stricter interpretation of law and rights aren't required in times of affluence and prosperity. This is actually seen throughout history. It's why the less populous states (by density) tend to be conservative, and more populous states tend to be more liberal. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of outlook. Liberals are needed for change, conservatives are there to provide the brakes. Change for change sake isn't good either. Change to solve problems is great.

But, I think, that here in Alaska, we ARE more tribal.

There was a guy at my last job. Not the brightest guy. He wasn't well liked. But when people from outside of the company wanted to jump all over him, people at the job protected him. Not because he was a great guy. But because he was one of us. Maybe that doesn't make sense to you. It does to people here.

It is probably the wrong sort of mindset in a public forum, but the members of the tribe form their circle as they will, and again, it might be wrong, but you are perceived as an outsider here. So people circle the wagons. Or, because we're Alaskan, we form the circle of musk ox around the weaker or the attacked. It is a natural thing.

Ask any biologist or anthropologist. We're human, and you can always count on rationality to go out the window with the fight or flight wiring in our brain.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,268,567 times
Mal,

Your last entry raises interesting issues and deserves a considered response. I shall do so tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Mal,

Your last entry raises interesting issues and deserves a considered response. I shall do so tomorrow.
Meeeowwwww!!! Have a good nite Ince....Note the fryin big Alaskan fish, believe those were your words, right, k....Meowwwww again, good night from AK to way down in california.....

Last edited by Grannysroost; 11-19-2008 at 12:48 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,427 times
Quote:
Mal,

Please do it in a PM. Reading your drivel gives me a headache.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,268,567 times
Mal - before I sign off for the night, you may find this interesting:

Giving Up on God - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:

Nope wasn't interesting at all, but read it in the hopes that you had something that shined a bit of light, but it didn't.

Not all Conservatives are bible toting, but they are mostly responsible people that work hard and don't believe in handouts, and a handshake is their word.

The writer was assuming everyone was in the same box, they aren't and she clearly couldn't grasp that fact, which is why it appealed to you, you can't grasp that fact either....

Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:

That you read and reference sources that refer to people who believe in God as the "oogedy-boogedy branch of the GOP" tells us allot about your contempt for a large segment of our society.

Keep digging your hole.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Quote:

I have always stated that my party was hijacked by the evangelical right. In these forums. I have never pushed my brand of religion as the "right and only" way to live.

Having a laissez faire stance towards religion doesn't make me a liberal, but an American. My boys have all understood that until they reach the age of 18, they are subject to my rules in my house. That means no discussion of any religion but mine in my house. At 18, I have told them that they are free to worship who and what they please, or not. If I am not willing to impose my beliefs on young adults that I have raised, why would I want to do that to people I don't even know.

As a Catholic, my religion has been frowned upon for many years by the religious right. What do I care? They frown on Judaism, Islam, Zoroastrinism, Buddhism and the other nine billioin names of God.

In the New Testament, Christ himself states that His Father's mansion has many houses. I believe those to be houses of worship, not dwelling places for ethereal beings.

Religion is more a matter of opinion then established fact. My only fact is that I think God exists, therefore, a demonstration of gratitude in a way that pleases me is my way showing my appreciation for my life.

Some folks will blast me for that, I suppose. But, I'm not hurting anyone in my faith.

And I sure haven't stated that I think that others must, should or even, could worship in the same fashion as I do. Why would you address this article to me otherwise. Because my party was hijacked? Big surprise there. I think you'll find that I stated that many times over the past year. I still haven't come out and stated how I have voted, in any thread or forum. Maybe you sent the link in the hope that i would "convert" to a more liberal stance. Not gonna do it. Liberal outlooks are for the young, and the optimistic. Conservatism is for the old, cynical guys like me who have seen the world outside the US, in other times than peace. My personal history formed who I am.

I came back from a nasty little place, performed the evac of the embassy, and cried at night for a loss of innocence. And was willing to attempt to change the world. San Francisco and a few flower children littered all over the white uniformed crew upon our return under the Golden Gate. Wow, changed my mind in a hurry.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,700,653 times
Great Post Mal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska