Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:55 AM

319 posts, read 1,463,208 times

Advertisements

It is that time of year in the Arctic - time for Whaling !
Step 1 - Break Trail for 5 - 20 miles out on the ocean ice pack. We have to chop, pick, break up the ice to form a smooth trail for all the equipment to be brought out to the lead opening.

Presently

Just in front of that snowmachine, you can see one of the markers placed on the ice. This lines up with others that are spaced out, to keep a visual record of which way the ice is moving.

Presently at this point in time, we have been out here almost daily for two weeks.

The days are cold, crisp, and refreshing. At the house of Whaling Captain - Eugene Brower - Sleds are dug out of the snow, cleaned off and make ready to head out to the ocean ice.. to ... .. BREAK TRAIL !!

This is it, hard back breaking work, for hours & days upon end, It is no easy task to break trail. I am going to show you .. the entire hunt. from breaking trail, setting up camp and living out on the ocean ice, also inside the umiaq, day by day.

We were requested to specificly join this crew, we received invites from The President of the Alaska Eskimo Whaling commission who is also a board member of the Internation Whaling Commission - Euguene Brower !

Day one was a 'test' to see and determine what type of workers the captain has on his crew.

Today, back out on the trail, they have a 15 foot high pressure ridge to go through, The Captain said, no sense going around it, lets just remove the whole thing and go right through it !

It may surprise you as to why this incredible immensive amount of work is done. Why not just go around the obstacles ?

As I show you these images, then you will understand why. The ice is a very dangerous environment to live. far out there, you better know exactly what your doing and why, things can change out here rapidly, this is the main reason for going through obstacles, rather than around them. A (wide) straight trail is the quickest way off the ice, in an emergency!

That will happen, many times, it depends on the wind ! East wind is good, whether it be north east or south east, As long as those conditions exist, you are relatively safe. But if that wind shifts to any type of West wind, then it is time to pack up and evacuate the ice. IN Pont Hope it is different, North wind is good / safe, South wind is dangerous. Once that wind, starts to push that ice.. ... you will see the results here, in great detail.

Pressure ridges are formed by the crushing advancing ice, Some of these ridges can reach heights of 50 feet. This is the thickest ice, it is packtogether and very solid. this is another reason to go through these ridges rather than around them, a snake like zig zag trail, is slow and time consuming and the ice is much thinner, Large areas of pressure ridges is are the safest thickest ice.

Cracks occur on the smooth parts of the ice. The one thing you must be aware of, is the ice, breaking in back of you, in the old days, once you were gone, you never came back. Many stories are told of hunters lost when the ice cracked miles in back of them, by the time they found out, it was much too late. Now with search & rescue and helicopters, that type tragedy is amost non existent.

Photos and perhaps the video of this job will be available tonight when I process the images the boys create using my eyes, today ! I say (my eyes) becuase I have spent 20 years teaching them, how to see, how to compose, so in essense they create in the exact same manner in which I have created over the last 40 or more years.

Searching - to find the best path. The huge ice piles are many miles out on the frozen ocean ice pack.

My sons informed me they have a 15 foot high pressure ridge to break through and remove, before and after photos will be posted tonight, and hopefully a video showing the amazing amount of work involved in breakin trail.

The campsite(s) will be set up, many miles out there, where the lead forms. Where does that happen ? It is different each and every year. It depends on the thickness of the ice, the wind, and of course the temps

When you work hard, you sweat, if you remove your hat while sweating, your hair instantly turns into iced up frost !!

there is much about the ocean Ice that I do not understand. But after being on more than 7 whale hunts I have learned a few basic things about the ocean ice. It is always moving, cracking, & breaking. markers have to be placed way out there, and other markers to line up to see which way the ice is shifting after many days. Even though they cannot see 'open' water from here, it is easy to discern, just by looking at the clouds in the sky. The darkness of the open water will create very dark looking bottoms on theclouds in the sky. The reflections from the ice make the clouds look much whiter on the bottom of their puffs than open water does.
But for now, find a place to set up a camp site in the Captains favorite area(s), based on wind conditions, and distance to the place where the lead opens. For now, finding the right way to break this trail so as to get the job done

Day one was to test the crew, a lot of work had to get done on that first day, so there was little time to stop and use the camera. Work, hard work, chopping ice and moving ice and clearing a path, to transport materials. This pathway through the ice must be smooth, these machines have to make many trips back and forth, this creates excesive wear and tear on the equipment if it has to encounter 'rough' areas. A five mile ride will take hours at very slow speds of carefull navigation.

I also have Videos right here now for you to view !
Now I can bring YOU out to that ocean ice to see first hand the work involved to break trail !

30 below zero and long days of extremely hard difficult work-with no pay, just the right to eat !!

I will show you the extremes in the temps and the difference in the manner of dress. Out here. it can turn vicious in no time, you must be prepared for what ever happens !

VIDEOS (http://majikimaje.com/VideoSoftDVD/BreakingTrail.htm - broken link)

ENJOY !! hopefully there is lots more to follow for the entire hunt !!

Last edited by JessE86; 04-19-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Welcome back majikimaje.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Thanks for posting some fresh shots.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Welcome back majikimaje.
I had the same feeling Arctic...I wanted to type that out but you beat me to it! Shmaybe he'll go crazy again an lose this account!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
I hope that he keeps his cool. I really enjoy the pictures. Maybe the King of the Arctic will leave him alone this time.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I had the same feeling Arctic...I wanted to type that out but you beat me to it! Shmaybe he'll go crazy again an lose this account!
I noticed it with the name on the links for the pictures when I held my mouse over the thread title before clicking...besides the same style of photography and captions...

I doubt Floyd will lay off, he's on other forums going after this person...

Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Why not just use a small dozer or Bobcat and blaze a trail?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM

179 posts, read 594,716 times
I love hard work.
I could sit and watch it all day long...

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,208 times
they have tried using equipment such as a bob cat, but that is no good. too much noise. vibration, the expense, and what happens when the ice breaks, how to get that equipment back. It is easy to go through the ocean ice, it is very thin in places. People power is the only way to get this job done correctly. It takes time but it just is not practical to use heavy equipment, and if you have to evacuate the ice, it is just not practical to use out here.

fixed video link is here : http://majikimaje.com/DVDVideoSoft/Breaking-Trail.html

Old 04-19-2009, 01:06 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
This is a great thread-- thanks for the great pics!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska