Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Whatever the breed or whether you get a pup or an older dog, the biggest thing is to make sure that the dog does NOT go running off to confront the animal. The best "big critter" dogs I've ever been with were trained to growl a warning rather than bark if their master was present (or stop barking once their master was alerted), and would not leave their master's side unless instructed to do so. A growling dog wouldn't alert Mr. Moose thus causing an altercation, and a dog that stays put won't run after Mr. Bear and possibly bring him back to you.

You can spend $$ on pure breeds, or comb the area for a specific breed cheap/free, but a smart mutt from the pound is just as good (sometimes better) when they're properly trained to obey "Hush", "Come", "Go/Sic", "Heel" and "Stay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
You can spend $$ on pure breeds, or comb the area for a specific breed cheap/free, but a smart mutt from the pound is just as good (sometimes better) when they're properly trained to obey "Hush", "Come", "Go/Sic", "Heel" and "Stay".
This is true. Mutts are usually close to free and have none of the genetic problems like hip dysplasia of purebreds or the stupidity of inbreeding. The only time I think purebreds are worth it is if you spend a lot of money and time. Overbreeding, inbreeding, and inexperienced dog breeders have led to the demise of high quality purebreds in most areas of America (my experience). If you snag up a mutt on the other hand it will probably live longer, healther, be cheaper, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you may have saved a dog that would have otherwise been put down.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Come to Bethel and grab one from the street, there is enough of them roaming around...

Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM

179 posts, read 594,917 times
Our Chihuahua would alert us to a moose's presence on the property, but would not chase or confront the moose (she would chase and fight bigger dogs though). We actually have a picture of her nose-to-nose with a moose outside our picture window.

Our GSD will also alert us if there's a moose on the property. He will actually "block" the door with his body if one of us tries to leave the house and there's a danger of running into the moose. He's good on voice control, and I can let him out if there's a moose 75' away without interaction - he'll just do his business with one wary eye on the moose.

If you do a lot of hiking, I'd recommend sticking with a dog that's small enough to carry. You don't want your companion getting hurt and you not being able to carry him out. My GSD has learned that our toddler is a source of high fat food, so he's getting up to @90 lbs and I'm not happy about it. He's gonna be running laps as soon as this mud is gone.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
A moose will go away if it feels like it, but until you have seen a moose go after a dog you won't really appreciate the damage they can do in a hurry. My dog has been chased by moose several times and he knows enough to stay away. After his first near miss I don't think he has gotten closer than 30 feet from a moose.
Yep, just watched a Moose this morning go after a couple neighborhood dogs. The moose was munching on willow buds right outside our bedroom window and a couple dogs came around and started barking. Obviously the moose was in no mood to suffer their noise and went after them and chased them off. I guess the moose had found a tasty tree because he went right back to the same spot.

Some of our neighbors let their dogs basically run wild all day while they are away at work. The dogs roam around the neighborhood, sometimes grouping up in little packs, marking "their" territory, which often means little tinkle stains on my car tires. I'm not sure this is the most responsible form of pet ownership. One of my other neighbors who does responsibly watch his dogs, once lost one when it went outside in HIS OWN yard and was attacked by one of these impromptu packs. I'm sure this is a topic for a whole other discussion itself.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM

179 posts, read 594,917 times
A few dogs were shot last year in Fairbanks for this same reason.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
I've been thinking about getting a BB gun.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM

88 posts, read 207,418 times
Just to let you know, I've decided AGAINST the Akita / bear dog. I don't personally like their attitude ((too stubborn for me!)) & am now considering a Great Pyr / Husky cross from the pound (just over a year) ;a puppy from a Great Pyr / Maremma cross ; (( I have been around Great Pyrs & love 'em! )) or a Mal mix. Wouldn't mind a German Shepherd either...have had them in the past too! Just ADORE herding dogs...just wasn't sure how they'd do temperment wise around bear / moose.
I agree, mutts are great too...had my share of them growing up. Generally more herding type dogs, though I did also grow up with coon hounds. Unfortunately, not too many long haired coon dogs around!
I'm really sorry some of you have to deal with loose dogs. That's always a never ending battle, isn't it? I honestly don't know how the "owners" can live with themselves. It's a bad situation for both the dogs AND the neighbors! Grrrrr!
Anyhow...Thanks for all the great input. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
The only issue I've ever had with any of the herding or sledding dog mixes is that they absolutely love to run, so you have to have enough secure space to let them gallop around if you can't take them on long & fast runs frequently... otherwise they get bored, depressed and tear up your house.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM

88 posts, read 207,418 times
I'm doing my darnedest to say NO to another MALE! I want a female, have always preferred them, but there is this adorable, 4 month old red heeler....grrr! I wanna move off base & get 'em ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska