U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Alaska
6,307 posts, read 4,183,475 times
Reputation: 3719

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdreamin View Post
About how long is the drive from anchorage down to the razors? Gotta make a whole day trip outta it I assume, and head out in the early am?

Looks to be about 4+ hrs from anchorage down there, is that right?
I live outside of Wasilla and it's about 4 1/2 hours to Ninilchik. As far as when to leave you need to look at the tide charts and time it with the low tide. We are heading down on Monday and hunting Tuesday. The low tide on Tuesday is around 10:45 am.. We usually get there about 2 hours before low tide so we can follow the tide out and back.. We use a clam gun which is a device, I believe, is designed to seperate your pelvis from your spine when extracting the little buggers. It is similiar to trying to extract a plug of concrete from a newly laid road.. We stay at one of the camp grounds. There are two right on the highway. One is on the left right before the bridge and one is on the right about 1/2 mile past the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,596 posts, read 34,590,293 times
Reputation: 14657
Clam gun!!!! You mean to tell me your not down on your hands and knees furiously digging with your hands? No razor like cuts in your fingers? No broken shovel handles? No wet and dirty up to your arm pits?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Alaska
6,307 posts, read 4,183,475 times
Reputation: 3719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Clam gun!!!! You mean to tell me your not down on your hands and knees furiously digging with your hands? No razor like cuts in your fingers? No broken shovel handles? No wet and dirty up to your arm pits?


Actually, I had a buddy running the clam gun after my SI joints separated. I ended up getting down on my hands and knees and running my arm up to the shoulder trying to catch the little buggers. I found the clam gun get's them about 60% of the time.. the other 40% was good ol' hand work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,960,248 times
Reputation: 3470
It is/was neat to watch the brown bears of Katmai dig for clams, they either put a paw on them and shove down on themc to twist them open, or hold them in one paw like you would, and take the other paw's claw and open it as if you used your pointer finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,596 posts, read 34,590,293 times
Reputation: 14657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Actually, I had a buddy running the clam gun after my SI joints separated. I ended up getting down on my hands and knees and running my arm up to the shoulder trying to catch the little buggers. I found the clam gun get's them about 60% of the time.. the other 40% was good ol' hand work
You have to be lightning fast with a shovel. You have to creep up on the dimple, slam that shovel home, get 2 quick scoops out, then dive in with your arm and grab them by the scruff of the neck! It's amazing how fast they can dig down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Alaska
6,307 posts, read 4,183,475 times
Reputation: 3719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You have to be lightning fast with a shovel. You have to creep up on the dimple, slam that shovel home, get 2 quick scoops out, then dive in with your arm and grab them by the scruff of the neck! It's amazing how fast they can dig down.
If I wouldn't have seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it either. They are fast, really fast for being in sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Haines, AK
1,121 posts, read 3,966,266 times
Reputation: 668
Default bears eating clams

I think I caught that same show, Starlight. It was pretty impressive how delicate a touch a huge bear can use when it has to, poking just one claw to open up a shell, or just "wiping' them open with a twist of a huge paw.

Strangely enough they too were up to their armpits in the mud, digging like crazy to catch the clams. There doesn't seem to be any shortcut for that part, even for the bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top