Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM

56 posts, read 195,063 times

Advertisements

Okay, So I was just playing around with google earth and found a peciliar city: Adak, Alaska. I searched it and found out a little from other threads here, and it seems that it is a run down village that saw its glory days throughout the 20th century. The Wiki page makes it seem like its just a small town that is still populated. I was wondering if somebody could tell me the truth.. I have no plans of moving there or to Alaska or anything, just that the city has drawn me in and I have been obsessed about it for the past couple days haha. Also, does anybody know of other Alaskan Ghost Towns that are interresting?

Oh, and yesterday I thought I could finally stop thinking about Adak, like its some spooky place with mystery, but when changing the time zone on my computer I saw this and it broke the camels back haha: Very first city listed! AHH!
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Finding: Adak, AK-picture-1.png  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Here's a link on the State of Alaska website regarding Adak. You'll need to select Adak from the community list. This also will show villages with just a few people in them.
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Old 07-06-2009, 05:55 PM

56 posts, read 195,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Here's a link on the State of Alaska website regarding Adak. You'll need to select Adak from the community list. This also will show villages with just a few people in them.
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs
some very cool pictures on that site.. Its just so strange how "modern" this town seems.. The school and stuff is newer than mine.. so weird how things can change

these overhead pictures remind me of mars or something (No, I really dont think this is what mars looks like )
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Finding: Adak, AK-picture-2.png   Weird Finding: Adak, AK-picture-3.png  

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
During the 70s Adak was I think the 6th largest community in the state population wise.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 32,376 times
I was stationed on Adak from 1991 to 1993 and went back in 1994 with NMCB-4. Adak back then, was a boming community with everything happening from a great fish fry, to admiring the beauty of the island. While you were stationed on Adak, it seemed like you would never see civilization again. When you left and a few years have gone by, one tends to be reminded of being stationed there and then you really do appreciate the time spent on Adak. So many people that were stationed there say when you are there, all you think about is getting back to the " real world " but when you left you really did miss being on the island. I will always remember my time on Adak and I will never forget as long as I live how much I really appreciated being stationed there. It truely was the best duty that I had in my time in the Navy Seabees!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM

I will also remember the friends that I made and the salmon I caught as well. I have so many pictures of my time spent there I could fill two photo albums. As a matter of fact, my daughter was born at the Adak Naval Clinic in December of 1993. From all the pictures on the Adak site, it is very depressing to see all the buildings just rotting away and the housing units look so dead there now. You can't even cross Candlestick bridge anymore! I really would love to go back and see it one more time though. Any ideas as to who to contact there for a " road trip ".

Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Harrington View Post
I was stationed on Adak from 1991 to 1993 and went back in 1994 with NMCB-4. Adak back then, was a boming community with everything happening from a great fish fry, to admiring the beauty of the island. While you were stationed on Adak, it seemed like you would never see civilization again. When you left and a few years have gone by, one tends to be reminded of being stationed there and then you really do appreciate the time spent on Adak. So many people that were stationed there say when you are there, all you think about is getting back to the " real world " but when you left you really did miss being on the island. I will always remember my time on Adak and I will never forget as long as I live how much I really appreciated being stationed there. It truely was the best duty that I had in my time in the Navy Seabees!
I was on Adak too in 1992-1993. It was a Navy base for many years and then decommisioned in 1993 on....... I left there Dec 1993.
I met my Hubby there actually. The recruiter from my home town told my mom I would come back either pregnant or married..... well I was pregnant and got married just 8 days after I came home LOL

I have tons of pictures from Adak. It was there we fell in love with Alaska and have lived in this state ever since.

I think there are some natives there now but not sure. There were caribou on the island. I would imagine someone has to manage the herd.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc008 View Post
some very cool pictures on that site.. Its just so strange how "modern" this town seems.. The school and stuff is newer than mine.. so weird how things can change

these overhead pictures remind me of mars or something (No, I really dont think this is what mars looks like )
Not so strange, it was a working Navy base until 1997. They keep things pretty modern. I see now that the Native have taken it over. The Aleut Corp. owns it and they have about 160 people living there.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I was on Adak too in 1992-1993. It was a Navy base for many years and then decommisioned in 1993 on....... I left there Dec 1993.
I met my Hubby there actually. The recruiter from my home town told my mom I would come back either pregnant or married..... well I was pregnant and got married just 8 days after I came home LOL

I have tons of pictures from Adak. It was there we fell in love with Alaska and have lived in this state ever since.

I think there are some natives there now but not sure. There were caribou on the island. I would imagine someone has to manage the herd.
Do you live in mainland Alaska now? That would be really great to live there. I always liked Anchorage. We spent our honeymoon in Anchorage for a week and drove all over. Went down to Portage Glacier and north as well.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Harrington View Post
Do you live in mainland Alaska now? That would be really great to live there. I always liked Anchorage. We spent our honeymoon in Anchorage for a week and drove all over. Went down to Portage Glacier and north as well.
Yeah, We lived in Delta Juntion, Fairbanks, North Pole and now Anchorage.

What did you do on Adak? I worked at the Aluetian Steakhouse as part of MWR. I was a cook but only spent 3 weeks in the galley before being reassigned to MWR. I totally got a sweet deal there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska