Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM

25 posts, read 74,754 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm Jess,
I went to Alaska in 2001 for a summer and loved it. I wasn't brave enough to stay the winter but what we saw was amazing. Nothing in my book compares to that but if you love fall this is the place to be. Our foliage is like no other with red, oranges, yellows. We have breathtaking mountains and untouched places. It's a slow paced life style within reach of the rest of the country. I've lived here my whole life and don't plan to move now that we own our own buisness and have children. I will revisist alaska soon and who knows what the future may hold for us. I love winter and all seasons for that matter and you get a real taste for all 4 here. I'm new here so I just read your post. Better late than never I suppose. Good luck on your state hunting.

Y/f in VERMONT, Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 AM

5 posts, read 38,545 times
Default Boise does sound good

I am so glad to hear your report, and many others, on how great Boise is - especially as a place to raise a family. Our family will be going out this August to look for a place (coming from New Jersey). You mentioned that you had looked into real estate around Idaho....can you make any suggestions about the surrounding Boise area....we were hoping to find 3 to 5 acres on the outskirts of Boise..... Thanks!!! tomtamara

Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM

24 posts, read 82,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I'd go to Jackson Hole, Wyoming in a heartbeat if I could afford it. All of my trips there have been near perfect and the weather/scenery is similar to parts of Alaska. As for animals, I think the greater Yellowstone ecosystem has Alaska beat, hands down. I'd even take this area knowing the threat of a supervolcano.

Other than Jackson Hole, you'll have to drag me kicking and screaming from Alaska.
Hello... I wanted to move to Alaska (Anchorage) so badly when we visited earlier this year but my husband thought the winters would be too cold and dark. How bad is it really? The temperatures don't look that bad on the brochures but we were told that it stays well below 0 until March. Is the darkness just really bad in November/December? Would you also say there are a lot of grey days other than during the summer or is it mostly sunny throughout the year including the partially sunny days?

Also, what I really wanted to know was if Jackson Hole, Wyoming is the place that looks the most like Alaska (other than Canada) and how cold and dark does it get there? Are there any other places that look similar to Alaska (other than Washington state)? Just wondering cause I'd love to find a place that looks just like Alaska but is not as dark and cold during the winter. Don't know if a place like this exists but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
It does not stay well below zero in Anchorage until March! Winter has many sunny days and it's beautifull. The cold air brings out the mountains in the distance. It often rains in January (at least at my house) and is colder in February. March usually warms up and snows pretty good. I only had two days of 35 below this last winter. My water never even froze. My sewer did twice but thats another story! Really...winter in Alaska can be awesome. It's what you make of it really. Getting out during the day counter acts the dark hours. If you stay couped up in the house all winter, sure your gonna be SADD. Heck it don't matter where you are on the planet that can happen. Just get out of the house and do something.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 PM

thank you Rance... I wish I could live there for a year just to see if I could survive the winter. I don't think I could ever convince my husband to move there though. Does Anchorage have similar weather to where you're at? Alaska truly is the most beautiful place I've ever seen in my life and even if I never get to live there, it will always be close to my heart. It is the first place I've been to where I felt I could truly make it my home (but this was during the summer... ha ha). Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I'm about 120 miles south of Anchorage on the Keani Peninsula. The weather is fairly similar. Maybe a degree or two difference temperature wise on any given day.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks Rance, if only I could convince my husband... we went out to Kenai Peninsula (went to Seward), the drive on Seward Highway from Anchorage was the most beautiful, breathtaking place I've ever seen. I surely miss it...

Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default Anchorage vs. Seward

Actually, I'd bet that Anchorage actually has quite a few more sunny days in winter than Seward does. I've been down there many times for work when we just couldn't quite get all the way to Seward by air, the fog and low clouds just back up against the rising valley and Seward would be socked-in when the rest of the Kenai was clear. Something about the shape and orientation of the bay and the valley there just seem to encourage it in the wintertime. We used to rendezvous with the ambulances at the airport at Quartz Creek or at the rest area about 12-13 miles out of town when we couldn't get in. Does this look familiar, anyone?

On the other hand, I've been there quite often in the summer when it was sunny and clear in Seward but overcast from Quartz Creek all along Kenai Lake and Coopers Landing (the route I usually flew in). Go figure.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 AM

6 posts, read 20,341 times
Fiji.

Okay, just dreaming.

Coastal Oregon, or if I had money to travel, Bozeman, MT because my oldest son will be in college there...

Seriously, I cannot for a fleeting moment, imagine leaving.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 PM

26 posts, read 165,834 times
Default not western washington

I don't know where you should consider moving but, I would strongly encourage you not to move to western Washington. I'm fine with gray weather but, a lot of people aren't and complain bitterly about the ongoing rain and gray. it definitely isn't a good choice if you have SAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska