Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
It's not the opinions that make him a nob, but the attitude.
Yes that is true. It is just so nobby to think that people should base opinions on logic and valid facts, particularly ones that they have verified to be facts. Imaginative thinking and creativity, mixed with logic appropriate to the 6th grade is just so much more fun!

But, I'll stick with a bright treeless place rather than one where the dark path is lit by a dim star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
I feel dissapointment when inteligent, hands-on experienced people leave reason behind, just for the thrill of last say. Is it worth it? I doubt...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
Sorry Floyd, I'm not trying to be a nob myself. I just don't know why some people in these forums have to be so condescending. Surely it is possible to have a discussion with disagreement without attitude?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
I think I can pass for now on the hair raising stories.

My curiosity stems from the fact that while I have spent a great deal of time in the outdoors, it hasn't been in places with the abundance of potentially dangerous wildlife such as Alaska. In NC we have bears, but I wouldn't think to carry a gun when hiking or camping. However, from what I have read and heard about the Alaskan outdoors, it does seem to be quite different! (duh! )

I love spending time doing backcountry camping, so if doing so in Alaska I'm assuming that carrying a firearm is a wise thing? I'm not a fan of pepper spray for prevention of human attacks (too much chance of the wind blowing the wrong way!). Would assume the same for the wilderness, no? Or no?
The bears down in NC are nothing to mess with either. Black bears can be more dangerous than brown bears. It wouldn't surprise me if you don't have some mountain lions in NC too. I always carry a gun while outdoors in VT. Of course the two-legged animals can be more dangerous than any 4 legged one, if you run across someone's drug business in the woods...

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Ape problem in Vt?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:02 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Don't think Timothy knew the difference in the bears!!! he was inside a bear protected area to boot!!!
Well he knew each bear in the area and had a name for each one of them and that was evident on his videos, but was clueless about bears... He kept saying he needed to protect them while standing in a National Park where they were already protected.

And, he was basically "Inside a Bear" protection area in the end....

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Ape problem in Vt?
Well if you believe some of the stories about the Bennington Monster (Bigfoot)...but I was thinking of the human monsters...

But that's funny, it reminds me of how people have spotted chimps running around in the wild in Florida. Not far fetched for pet chimps to have been released or escaped, and they're dangerous...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
Starlite you must know Timmy did take care of the bears. Winter was coming and one was a bit peckish looking for a snack.

If all he had done was observe and take photos that would have been fine. Sadly he was looking for something to save and give his life meaning. He thought he found it in the Katmai (is that the park) bears. He had a bad tendency to anthropomorphize these animals which is what in the end made him and his unfortunate companion appetizers.
Ironically I think (not 100%) it seems the only bears killed or destroyed on Timmys watch were the ones suspected of eating him. Guess that whole save the bears thing didn't work out like he planned.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Starlite you must know Timmy did take care of the bears. Winter was coming and one was a bit peckish looking for a snack.

If all he had done was observe and take photos that would have been fine. Sadly he was looking for something to save and give his life meaning. He thought he found it in the Katmai (is that the park) bears. He had a bad tendency to anthropomorphize these animals which is what in the end made him and his unfortunate companion appetizers.
Ironically I think (not 100%) it seems the only bears killed or destroyed on Timmys watch were the ones suspected of eating him. Guess that whole save the bears thing didn't work out like he planned.
Well, Treadwell was basically one of the PETA types who discovered the harsh reality of nature and wildlife firsthand, but didn't survive the lesson...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Sorry Floyd, I'm not trying to be a nob myself. I just don't know why some people in these forums have to be so condescending. Surely it is possible to have a discussion with disagreement without attitude?
Human nature I guess...

However, it also divides into two parts in another way, which depends on the reader rather than the writer: Some people are here for the social aspect, some are here for information.

Some people post with a frown and others with a smile; some people post good information others post imagination. If you are reading this forum for the social value, frowns are bad. If you read it for information, imagination is bad.

Hence you might be bothered more by attitude than I am, and yet we both have reasonable values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska