Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
That and the weather can actually kill you up here if you find yourself on the street. I would not come up without a GOOD job lined up and a few thousand $$$ in a savings account in case you need to get out of here, its not unheard of for employers to hire someone and then fire them a month or 2 later, not because of any performance issues but just because they have such poor control of there accounting. Even companies that you would not expect to have thoes problems do so you may want to do some research on the company before you come up and make sure they are financailly stable and make sure you are not going to be laid off a month after you were hired.
The beer is expensive here, too. That's almost enough for me to say don't move up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM

251 posts, read 679,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The beer is expensive here, too. That's almost enough for me to say don't move up here!
Yea there is that too, but you can just not drink and other aspects of Alaska make it worth living here, of course you have to have a ton of $$$ to really enjoy the unique aspects of alaska (like a nice plane to enjoy the free air space or a snowmachine to get out and go riding out in the woods, even hunting you have to get your special permits, rifle, and a large rig and gas). If your income level restricts you to anchorage its really not worth it because even just to go out bowling or something is going to cost you twice as much as some of the cheaper places in the lower 48.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Quote:
Yea there is that too, but you can just not drink and other aspects of Alaska make it worth living here, of course you have to have a ton of $$$ to really enjoy the unique aspects of alaska (like a nice plane to enjoy the free air space or a snowmachine to get out and go riding out in the woods, even hunting you have to get your special permits, rifle, and a large rig and gas). If your income level restricts you to anchorage its really not worth it because even just to go out bowling or something is going to cost you twice as much as some of the cheaper places in the lower 48.
Quit your whining and pack your bags and move south!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM

251 posts, read 679,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Quit your whining and pack your bags and move south!
No way I like to whine, unless I could move somewhere where the wages were high the prices low and the crowds non existant and my debt disappeared I like to whine.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,575 times
Quote:
i don't take a rig and gas when i go hunting. i grab my rifle and start walking (with a backpack, that is). sometimes my wife walks with me (it helps in case there is lots to carry).
but then, not everybody is lucky enough to live in a place like this...

Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
No way I like to whine, unless I could move somewhere where the wages were high the prices low and the crowds non existant and my debt disappeared I like to whine.
Yea that is what most people want, good wages, low prices and non-existant crowds. Well good luck with that one! Let us know when you find your Utopia. Until then be thankful for what you do have; stop seeing the glass as half-empty and see it as half-full and I am "not" talking about beer in a glass!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Here ya go, son; this might be just what you're looking for:

Jobs in AFGHANISTAN - Expat Engineering Jobs

Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

OMG!! now he'll complain he can't afford the ticket!! should we take up a collection and buy an one way???

Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
OMG!! now he'll complain he can't afford the ticket!! should we take up a collection and buy an one way???

Sorry, that's not on my donation list this year, next year, or the year after, or the year after.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska