Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

That's an excellent post "perfect storm". the management of this f'er world wide does not inspire confidence that our "team" around the world lord knows what they are doing. They get tired, this guy was well educated smart and looks the role. that said, how the F could he possible get on a plane with this "leg bag" of explosives taped to his calf. boggles the mind. I'm sure syringes for people who are diabetic will be next. I am truly surprised that he got through Amsterdam. they take people and belongings apart before they allow them on the plane. "perfect storm" seems to fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
I tried to find something on his screening in Amsterdam and found this (CBS news site):

Airport rules in Amsterdam state that even though Abdulmutallab had already been security-screened in Lagos, he would have been screened again before boarding his flight to Detroit.

But the airport has just a few body scanners to detect threats under a traveler's clothing; not everyone goes through one.

And from Politics Daily:

Rep. King told Politics Daily that Abdulmutallab had "definite terrorist connections" and was part of a "terrorist nexus. ..his terrorist connections did not lend themselves to aviation threats, that's why he was not on a no-fly list which to me does not really make sense; if you're a terrorist you're a terrorist." And King said he had been told that Abdulmutallab had "definite al Qaeda links." Abdulmutallab boarded a flight in Lagos, Nigeria and switched planes in Amsterdam to the Detroit bound aircraft.

King said authorities did have "a file on him. He was in a database, but the decision was made that he did not go on a no fly list because it did not involve aviation threats, aviation issues."

Because of a "significant terrorist presence" in Nigeria, King said, "maybe he should have been on the terrorist no fly list."

Old 12-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Things in our favor.

1. passengers who are willing and able to beat the crap out of these mutants.

2. ineptitude and design of the "device".

3. no virgins in heaven.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Yeah. I'm flying to Minneapolis, Seattle then Juneau on the 8th. Oh hell.

Anybody with a name like Abdulfarouk Umar Abdulmuttallab should not be allowed on any flight (international or domestic) without a great deal of additional security and scrutiny at airports. I don't care how much we hurt their feelings. Jim Smith isn't trying to blow up goddamned planes - Mohammed and Abdul are.
That's just the problem. "Jimmy Smith" and his grandmother damn well will start trying to blow up planes if this trend continues. Think about it. The danger of profiling is that once they catch onto it, they change their profile.

Quote:
But the airport has just a few body scanners to detect threats under a traveler's clothing; not everyone goes through one.
Everyone should go through these. Is this how the guy snuck the device on, because he didn't go through the scanner? There is no excuse for that.

Those of you flying up will be just fine. Hell, I can't even sneak a bottle of Pinot or lord forbid a jar of moonshine onto domestic flights without TSA having a field . The idjits even took some lip gloss the last time I was deluded enough to go east of the Rockies. I don't see how anyone will be sneaking on any bombs on your flights to AK.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Default You won't believe this............

Today Sunday another Nigerian man locked himself in the bathroom and refused to come out for 2 hours. This was the same flight as yesterday's flight in which a man attempted to explode a device on the plane from Amsterdam to Detroit. The man was taken into custody by police after the plane landed..........Jesus H.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 PM

89 posts, read 168,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Today Sunday another Nigerian man locked himself in the bathroom and refused to come out for 2 hours. This was the same flight as yesterday's flight in which a man attempted to explode a device on the plane from Amsterdam to Detroit. The man was taken into custody by police after the plane landed..........Jesus H.
Where did this happen? A Northwest flight? What city?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Just turned CNN on and it happened in Detroit.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
But out Security Chief stated that the first happening is not part of a large organization...so nothing to worry about...now comes another Nigerian...hmmm. I feel so safe next time I have to fly.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
But out Security Chief stated that the first happening is not part of a large organization...so nothing to worry about...now comes another Nigerian...hmmm. I feel so safe next time I have to fly.
Yeah right....... same airport,same northwest flight and nigerian man, no similarities at all......LOL.....

Old 12-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
Yeah right....... same airport,same northwest flight and nigerian man, no similarities at all......LOL.....
so far............

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/28/us...28talk.html?hp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska