Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:03 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times

Advertisements

One more Ester website - Home.
It wouldn't be for me since I doubt anyone that knows me would describe me as liberal or a hippy. But one of the great things about Alaska is that there is something for everyone there.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Someone who doesn't bathe.
Speaking from experience Maurice....?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Speaking from experience Maurice....?
ahhh geez just when it is crib and teddy time for me C.C. you fire up the keyboard and start on a roll!!! WTF!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 33,110 times
Thanks Rwjoyak- for the info.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
like the others I'd have to know more about your definition of "hippy" and liberal.

Can you be hippy and conservative?
Can you be liberal and snobby?

If you are looking for a crunchy place with a lot of freedom, where people leave you alone, artsy, etc.....
I suggest Fairbanks. It is a rather large community that has just about everything aside from an Olive Garden.
If you are looking for a smaller town, Talkeetna, Cordova, Homer, Delta Junction.... Those might work for too.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i've heard that about girdwood but never experienced it.

you might find that hippies are a bit different in alaska. and so are the non-hippies. some of the non-hippies live a lot more peacefully and closer to the land than the hippies. you might be surprised.
Hummmmmm,we stayed in the stained glass house for a few days while we were in that neck of the woods. Girdwood was quite friendly, then again, so was Seward, Willow, Talkeetna, and Carlo Heights.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
You might check out the small town of Ester (a few miles west of Fairbanks), which is sort of a liberal enclave.
Yes, that would be The People's Republic of Ester, correct?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Like I said, not for me. But certainly meets the OP's question about liberal/hippy places in Alaska.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
There is a lot of towns in Alaska that may fit your bill, but you need to go to them and check them out. I like Cordova as well as a lot of other Coastal towns, but they all have a different flavor to them. Across from Homer is Halibut Cove and Seldovia, all three have good prospects.

You would really need to describe what you like in more details because each town is different. There is quiet towns, party towns and a host of in between towns.

Good luck in your quest!

Of course if you are looking at a place to build a Meth Lab, then you may run into some issues that are going to be the same from just about everywhere else. If the locals don't shoot you, then the swat team may knock you around a bit...

Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 AM

471 posts, read 1,061,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Of course if you are looking at a place to build a Meth Lab, then you may run into some issues that are going to be the same from just about everywhere else. If the locals don't shoot you, then the swat team may knock you around a bit...
Actually Alaska is a great place to grow Marijuana (due to the amount of summer sunlight), and I bet that the locals would be more okay with that.. with their typically libertarian leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska