Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 63,592 times

Advertisements

Here’s my plan:

So I have accepted a job with the State DOT in Juneau. I start on February 22nd and will be reimbursed for the relocation costs. I am a 26-year-old dude moving from Juno Beach, FL via Tucson, AZ (long story). I’ve been lurking on this board for a while, but have decided to throw in my 2 cents.

1) I am flying up to Juneau for an apartment-hunting trip from January 20th – January 26th. I think that should leave me with sufficient time to find a place. I am leaning towards Downtown and perhaps Douglas versus the Valley (spent too much time in suburbia already).

2) I’ve been told that Juneau is pretty car-dependent, thus nixing my original intent to attempt a car-free lifestyle. Having grown up in FL, I have zero experience with winter driving in snow and ice. Leading me to conclude that I need a 4X4/AWD vehicle to navigate the slick roads. Thus it is my intent to sell my car (’95 Nissan Sentra/beater) in Florida before my move (presumably to migrants). I am thinking of purchasing a Subaru/light truck/small SUV. From my research, it appears that cars (as well as many other goods) are expensive. Where else is might I buy a cheap car?

3) Therefore my thought is to fly to Tucson (where I was recently living for over a year) in the first week of February to buy a more climate-suitable vehicle where things are much more reasonable.

4) Then I load up my stuff in Tucson and make a road-trip up the west coast, visiting friends along the way (Flagstaff, LA, San Fran, Tahoe, Bend, & Seattle).

5) From there I come to 3 conclusions:
a) Drive to Bellingham, take the AMHS to Juneau (Departs Friday evening and Arrives early Monday morning; 55 hours/2.25 days on ferry)
b) Drive to Prince Rupert (during the 2010 winter olympics!) and take the AMHS to Juneau from there (Ferry runs on Tuesdays and Fridays; 23 hours on ferry & 20 hr drive)
c) Ship my car from Seattle and fly up there.

Other thoughts included riding on BC ferries and driving Vancouver Island & driving the Alaska Highway to Skagway to catch the ferry (doubtful).

I am leaning towards option B (Prince Rupert)

Anything that I haven’t thought of? Should I plan on getting snow tires before I get to Juneau? Road Conditions between Vancouver and Prince Rupert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I can't answer all your questions but congratulations on your new job.

Subarus are good SE Alaska cars.

Driving to Rupert and catching the ferry to Juneau is probably the best way though the ferry ride from Bellingham is a pretty good trip...should be filled with locals that time of year so you'll probably make some friends.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcus8 View Post
1) I am flying up to Juneau for an apartment-hunting trip from January 20th – January 26th. I think that should leave me with sufficient time to find a place. I am leaning towards Downtown and perhaps Douglas versus the Valley (spent too much time in suburbia already).
I wouldn't write off the the Valley so soon, as you'll be eliminating about 50-70% of rentals. It's not like Juneau is so big that you'll be facing an hour's commute. Driving from the Valley is about 10 miles to downtown. That said, there are good rentals in town and Douglas.

Quote:
1) 2) I’ve been told that Juneau is pretty car-dependent, thus nixing my original intent to attempt a car-free lifestyle. Having grown up in FL, I have zero experience with winter driving in snow and ice. Leading me to conclude that I need a 4X4/AWD vehicle to navigate the slick roads. Thus it is my intent to sell my car (’95 Nissan Sentra/beater) in Florida before my move (presumably to migrants). I am thinking of purchasing a Subaru/light truck/small SUV. From my research, it appears that cars (as well as many other goods) are expensive. Where else is might I buy a cheap car?
Yes, used cars are generally overpriced here. Too many people use Kelly Blue Book, which makes them think they can get an inflated price for their car. My son is looking for a pick-up and he's now thinking for a few thousand more, he can get a new one with no hidden problems he'll have to pay to fix. Also, the price of a new one here is the same price as one south, but you'll lose on selection.

Quote:
3) Therefore my thought is to fly to Tucson (where I was recently living for over a year) in the first week of February to buy a more climate-suitable vehicle where things are much more reasonable.
Good plan for a used car. You may need to invest in new tires, new battery and will want to service it with 5-30 or other recommended cold climate oil and new anti-freeze. Older batteries tend to discharge and freeze. You can wait on it and just replace it if it happens to die during the winter. You do not need a block heater here.

Quote:
4) Then I load up my stuff in Tucson and make a road-trip up the west coast, visiting friends along the way (Flagstaff, LA, San Fran, Tahoe, Bend, & Seattle).
Good. It will also give you some exposure to winter driving.

Quote:
5) From there I come to 3 conclusions:
a) Drive to Bellingham, take the AMHS to Juneau (Departs Friday evening and Arrives early Monday morning; 55 hours/2.25 days on ferry)
b) Drive to Prince Rupert (during the 2010 winter olympics!) and take the AMHS to Juneau from there (Ferry runs on Tuesdays and Fridays; 23 hours on ferry & 20 hr drive)
c) Ship my car from Seattle and fly up there.

Other thoughts included riding on BC ferries and driving Vancouver Island & driving the Alaska Highway to Skagway to catch the ferry (doubtful).

I am leaning towards option B (Prince Rupert)

Anything that I haven’t thought of? Should I plan on getting snow tires before I get to Juneau? Road Conditions between Vancouver and Prince Rupert?
I vote for option B if you have a passport and option A if you don't. You can save about an hour if you cross the border at Sumas. You'll likely hit snow, but the road is plowed and there is always traffic on the road. I've driven that route several times, including in December and February with no problems. It will all depend of if a snow storm blows through when you're driving. Figure you'll overnight somewhere on the route in Canada and possibly a second night in Prince Rupert, depending on when the ferry departs. Gas is not a problem on the route, but I've heard of problems paying by debit card. Credit cards work fine though. Skip the BC ferries as you'll end up catching the ferry from Prince Rupert anyway.

Studded tires are optional here. Some people won't drive without them and other don't bother. I haven't had studded tires on any of 4WD cars. If you get them, you might consider getting them mounted on rims.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Here's a truck for you already in Juneau and probably winterized.

Toyota 1993 4x4 Truck (http://juneau.craigslist.org/cto/1537100109.html - broken link)

Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
if you own guns take option A.
completely hassle-free.
shipping a car takes time, it could average 700 - 1000 bucks, and i'm willing to bet your car won't be here when you get here. A freind of mine went to Seattle and bought a car (private sale, no dealer), and it took 3 weeks for the car to get here.

BTW...congrats on the job.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

One more thing. if you have a felony conviction including a DUI, go with option A. Canada likely won't let you cross the border. You might make it through once, but they'll be watching for you if you go through again.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Here's a truck for you already in Juneau and probably winterized.

Toyota 1993 4x4 Truck (http://juneau.craigslist.org/cto/1537100109.html - broken link)
Hey, I have a 93 toy 4x4 with over 200K miles. I use it like a 4 wheeler. You wouldn't believe where that thing will go if you don't worry about scratches or a few dings. Those are good old trucks.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
If that Toyota was in southcentral I'd be all over it. My 1992 Ford is about to bite the dust.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM

12 posts, read 63,592 times
Thanks for the great advice and congratulations. I may look at a few cars in Juneau when I am up there apartment hunting. Is it completely necessary to have a car? I will be working near the hospital and was told it was only 3 miles from downtown. I have been considering spending my first few months without one and then driving one up in the summer.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice and congratulations. I may look at a few cars in Juneau when I am up there apartment hunting. Is it completely necessary to have a car? I will be working near the hospital and was told it was only 3 miles from downtown. I have been considering spending my first few months without one and then driving one up in the summer.
There is a bus system that you can utilize, but the bus stop is across the highway from the DOT office. You'll have to walk about 1/4 to 1/3 mile each way to get to the bus stop every day, crossing the highway at the stoplight. Crossing can be scary as some drivers run the light (speed up on yellow and cross the intersection on red). Here's a set of camera views near the DOT:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=2&siteId=14

If you look at the Glacier Hwy/Egan NB view, you can see where the DOT office is located at the top of the view, about 1/3 of the way from the right.

While it's doable to be without a car, I don't think you'll enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska