Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM

355 posts, read 818,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I would think you could get a job teaching Kyle. Teachers are needed just about everywhere I thought.
You can....just doesn't pay very well.

I hope you can anyways...I am ready for my wife to start working again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Point being Met that it sucks to be promised prosperity growing up only to be loaded with debt upon graduation. I don't feel like arguing so I will leave it at that. I did what I had to get the degree I thought I needed at the time. And guess what, I pay that loan every month on time. I just wish I had something to show for it....does that make sense? Yes I do have a piece of paper, but it's worthless really lol.

To add to your point...I have two friends who both just graduated as pharmacists last May...neither have found a job yet. I think a pharmacist is pretty lucrative no? They each owe over 100k for their degree.
Who promised you or anyone else "prosperity"?

You took out the loans of your own free will.

There are provisions in student loans that allow for them to be deferred et al if the graduate isn't making any money.

A degree isn't the key to instant success and it certainly isn't the key to automatic big bucks. It's just the first in quite a few stepping stones.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Kyle, I thought you were going to become a Trooper? You would think that being a teacher would pay more than a Trooper and less dangerous.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM

I assume you haven't been a student for some time Met. During our ( people my age ) HS days, we were all beat to death with the "GET A DEGREE" or fail propoganda. Sure you gotta work for it, but the degree was the key according to our teachers/counselors. I took out the loans to pay for schooling which I thought I needed as it was what was instilled in me during my education. I assure you I am not the only young adult who will agree to what I'm saying here.

You are correct that you can defer the loans until 6 months after you graduate. Also anytime during repayment if you lose your income you can request to defer for up to 6 months...but eventually you have to start paying for them even without employment.

Anyways it's been fun debating tonight. I'm about to head out for a 3rd shift patrol with the OHP. Yall stay warm!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I would think you could get a job teaching Kyle. Teachers are needed just about everywhere I thought.
Yes, I agree he could get a job teaching somewhere. But, it's the salary he's not thrilled with. To me, this is something which should have been considered long before getting the teaching credential. That being said, he can always go back and get his masters, and possibly a PHD and teach at the college level. Then, the salary is well above the median income no matter where one lands.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Kyle, I thought you were going to become a Trooper? You would think that being a teacher would pay more than a Trooper and less dangerous.

Warpt, my goal is to become a state trooper. It's what I've wanted to do since I was a little boy. My minor/associates is in crim justice.

Teachers in Oklahoma make much less than state troopers....in AK from what I've seen it is fairly even. I'm not sure about that one though.

As for the danger...I live my life without fear the best that I can. I believe when it's my time, it's my time....regardless of what I'm doing at the time.

Gotta go...I'll answer any posts tomorrow! Again, stay warm and goodnight!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
Quote:
Everyone is out of work in record numbers.
Actually, this is not true. Due to the bursting of the housing bubble, the construction industry has lost a larger percentage of jobs than other sectors. That's why I took issue with your first post. Right now is not the time to get into that field. A very good friend of mine from high school has a BS in construction management, and has been a commercial contractor for nearly 20 years. He had to shut his company down and go to work for another business. The overbuilding was so massive that it's time for people to re-tool their skills for other industries entirely, because there will be limited construction for decades.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I assume you haven't been a student for some time Met. During our ( people my age ) HS days, we were all beat to death with the "GET A DEGREE" or fail propoganda. Sure you gotta work for it, but the degree was the key according to our teachers/counselors. I took out the loans to pay for schooling which I thought I needed as it was what was instilled in me during my education. I assure you I am not the only young adult who will agree to what I'm saying here.

You are correct that you can defer the loans until 6 months after you graduate. Also anytime during repayment if you lose your income you can request to defer for up to 6 months...but eventually you have to start paying for them even without employment.

Anyways it's been fun debating tonight. I'm about to head out for a 3rd shift patrol with the OHP. Yall stay warm!
You're correct in that its been quite some time since I was in college, but even in the stone age, the push to get a degree was very much in play and student loans were freely offered.

My degree is in botany, by the way, which never actually helped me out in the job market in Alaska, but I loved studying it so much that it doesn't matter.

Don't consider your degree to be worthless...maybe it feels like it's getting you nowhere now, but you're only 23; you can't start at the top or anywhere near that. It will most likely come in handy during your life and is probably going to be considered a plus when you apply at the Sitka Troopers academy.

My son is your age and grew up in Alaska. He never was the "tradesman" type and he spent a couple of years living in Europe before he even started college. Ever since he was a very young lad he had an affinity for learning other languages and when he decided on a linguistics degree in college we were of the opinion that it was a very good thing that his grandparents left him a good trust because we figured he'd never be able to make a living. But the joke's been on us because his language skills are in very high demand.

Anyway my point is is that you and your wife are in your early twenties and have so much opportunity ahead of you. Don't discount your education; it may not seem like it now but it will probably serve you well in the years ahead.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-05-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Who promised you or anyone else "prosperity"?
Jimmy Swagart, Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. They said if we gave all we could it would be given back to us ten fold. I'm still waiting for two fold, I'd be happy to just get my money back.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Jimmy Swagart, Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. They said if we gave all we could it would be given back to us ten fold. I'm still waiting for two fold, I'd be happy to just get my money back.
Who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska