Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Okay, so these are still fairly recent, within 10 years? Maybe their normal prey is not there, so they resort to humans because they are protected and multiplying too fast and no normal food. We were warned when we moved into the house up there not to let the dogs out alone as the wolves would come in and lure them out to the rest of the pack to attack and kill.
No, while some of these stories are recent, there are lots of old stories about wolf attacks on humans.

Wolves learn fast, and are opportunist. That's all there is to it. Just like electricity, they would take the easiest path to ground (prey), just like any human would. Don't be fooled by what the "experts" blabber about all the time.

Haven't you read stories about people feeding friendly bears for years and years and then being eating by the same bears? It's the same with wolves A wolf near you could mean (sooner or later) an eaten pet, your leg chewed, or worst Don't turn your back on a wolf in your backyard, and if you do, don't come back here to tell us after the fact

Why do you think it's illegal to have wolf/dog breeds in Alaska?

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-11-2010 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM

432 posts, read 760,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Since it's abnormal behavior for wolves to attack humans (We have a pack outside of Soldotna by our house, and I only saw one once close to the house) I wonder if their food source was low where they attacked her
...or whether she had just finished a bacon cheeseburger, maybe?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
An autopsy confirmed that she was killed by the wolves.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
According to other news articles, she was quite a tough young lady, and also a runner. Maybe she was running when the attack took place? The lady I talked about (near Fairbanks) saw the wolf approaching her, and then realized that it was getting too close, so she ran. That's when the wolf bit hear a couple of times on the legs (it bit and toppled her), and then ran when she kept on kicking it away. Good thing she did.

I have seen real large wolves where I hunt moose, some that should be around 100 pounds. My hunting partner and i also had a lone wolf circling our tents in the darkness of night. We tried to spot it with flashlights, but it was a step ahead of us each time. While circling our tents, it was crying (like a howl/bark noise). Finally, we started chasing after it 9the noise, really) through the brush, flashlight on one hand and handgun on the other, and it disappeared. It was 10:00 PM. It came back around 2:00 AM, but this time it circled the tents for about 15 minutes, and then left.

One evening I was making moose calls, and all of the sudden a wolf howled nearby. It was perhaps 30 yards away, and several wolves answered all around the rocky knob I was standing on. I immediately hung the rifle on my shoulder since I knew that it would be very difficult to aim and shoot, and unholstered my handgun. I walked to my ATV real fast, and kicked ass out of there. I still kept an eye all around me while riding back to the campsite. I am fully aware that more than two wolves can be quite difficult to fight, specially when getting dark and one can't see them. These days I also carry a lot of firepower, just in case.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I though the garlic was for those pesky bats...?
Maybe garlic would work on a warewolf (ves) ?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
No No No the garlic is for those vegan wolves. So they can spice up their bland veggie diet.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
This is oh so sad. On KTUU a reporter talked with her dad. She was a tiny gal under 5 ft., a runner & had on an ipod on at the time. Her dad was told that she was attacked from behind & tried of course to fight them off.

It is inconceivable what she went through & what her family is now going through.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
This may sound macabre, but it is a logical question: if she was attacked by wolves for food, how come she was found intact? I read that some of her parts had been chewed away but if a pack attacked her wouldn't they have cleaned her out?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
This may sound macabre, but it is a logical question: if she was attacked by wolves for food, how come she was found intact? I read that some of her parts had been chewed away but if a pack attacked her wouldn't they have cleaned her out?
Perhaps with time some details with come out. For example:

-How long was she out there after the attack?
-Was she found near a trail where other humans walk on?
-Did the wolves attack just by instinct?

The reasons why I asked such questions are as follows: It's possible that the wolves didn't have enough time to devour her. Predators usually drag the prey away from open areas, trails, and such into secluded areas. While bears may stay not too far from the trail, it's possible that wolves are scared of confronting other humans, and even bears. If she was near a trail, then other people probably walk or ride the same trail, and this could scare or distract the wolves. Sometimes bears just charge humans and other animals that happen to get close to their food.

Also, running away can trigger an attack from dogs, wolves, and other animals. I have read several articles relating to joggers or runners being mauled by bears, or bitten by dogs. According to Stephen Herrero (professor at the University of Calgary), runners are moving fast, and by the time they realize what is happening, it's too late because they get too close to predators before the predator can realize that it's a human approaching. If the predator has enough time to realize what the thing moving their way is, it often moves away.

There are more details near the ned of this article:
http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/117572...medium=twitter

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-11-2010 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
According to other news articles, she was quite a tough young lady, and also a runner. Maybe she was running when the attack took place? The lady I talked about (near Fairbanks) saw the wolf approaching her, and then realized that it was getting too close, so she ran. That's when the wolf bit hear a couple of times on the legs (it bit and toppled her), and then ran when she kept on kicking it away. Good thing she did.

I have seen real large wolves where I hunt moose, some that should be around 100 pounds. My hunting partner and i also had a lone wolf circling our tents in the darkness of night. We tried to spot it with flashlights, but it was a step ahead of us each time. While circling our tents, it was crying (like a howl/bark noise). Finally, we started chasing after it 9the noise, really) through the brush, flashlight on one hand and handgun on the other, and it disappeared. It was 10:00 PM. It came back around 2:00 AM, but this time it circled the tents for about 15 minutes, and then left.

One evening I was making moose calls, and all of the sudden a wolf howled nearby. It was perhaps 30 yards away, and several wolves answered all around the rocky knob I was standing on. I immediately hung the rifle on my shoulder since I knew that it would be very difficult to aim and shoot, and unholstered my handgun. I walked to my ATV real fast, and kicked ass out of there. I still kept an eye all around me while riding back to the campsite. I am fully aware that more than two wolves can be quite difficult to fight, specially when getting dark and one can't see them. These days I also carry a lot of firepower, just in case.
100 pounds is on the smaller end of the scale for a male wolf. The biggest ones go over 160 lbs. That's a frightening thought, too. I just took my Akita into the vet, and he weighs 128 lbs. He's a big dog, and extremely strong. If he ever wanted to go off on someone, it'd be scary. I cannot even imagine having to fight off a dog 30 lbs heavier than him, much less several at a time.

Last edited by NomadicBear; 03-12-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska