Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times

Advertisements

Beware.....

Man sentenced for PFD fraud - Juneau Empire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Good. I also hate it when military who do not plan to stay or return here, collect it against the rules.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Good. I also hate it when military who do not plan to stay or return here, collect it against the rules.
It does not matter if the person is in the military or not, as long as the person qualifies under the law in relation to the PDF. Have you ever heard of the term "snowbird"? These folks along a lot of others, including students from the lower-48 who become residents of Alaska and receive a PDF check, also qualify under the law.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 85,018 times
I tried reading the information on the PDF on their website but got confused with legal jargon lol! i just assumed military couldn't collect it? technically the person in the service ( at least my hubby) is still a resident of where they are from. Apparently they can? Makes no difference to me, mind you, I survived with out it, i don't need it lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
When you sign up for a PFD you state that you intend to make Alaska your permanent residence. Therefore, applying and receiving a PFD when you know you are going to be leaving state in a few years is, technically, illegal.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
When you sign up for a PFD you state that you intend to make Alaska your permanent residence. Therefore, applying and receiving a PFD when you know you are going to be leaving state in a few years is, technically, illegal.
Not so, if they change their home of record to Alaska and then are transfered somewhere else, they can keep getting it. Down side (or upside) is that when they retire, the military will pay to have their goods shipped to their home of record, which is Alaska.

But many have no intentions of moving back to Alaska and that is a scam at that point. When they are here and meet the requirements, so be it.

I wish they just did a buy out and canceled the program. People move here with the assumption that they are going to be able to retire on it, and after they get here, it is two years before they see the first check.

On the other hand, the PFD's get spent almost as soon as they are recieved to buy snowmachines, fourwheelers, TV and the list goes on. Oh and a week of partying for others...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM

107 posts, read 227,232 times
[quote=Intuition;13919052]I tried reading the information on the PDF on their website but got confused with legal jargon lol!/quote]
Looks like trying to put 3 letters in the right order was enough to confuse you!

I'll agree with going ahead and paying it out, though I think it should have been done a few years ago.

PDF =

PFD = http://www.funtimeatv.com/rental/images/polarisPhoenix200.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
To me, the pfd means groceries or school clothes, or a paid bill. Wish I could save it but it's nice to have a lot of food or much needed clothes for the kids.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Not so, if they change their home of record to Alaska and then are transfered somewhere else, they can keep getting it. Down side (or upside) is that when they retire, the military will pay to have their goods shipped to their home of record, which is Alaska.

But many have no intentions of moving back to Alaska and that is a scam at that point. When they are here and meet the requirements, so be it.

I wish they just did a buy out and canceled the program. People move here with the assumption that they are going to be able to retire on it, and after they get here, it is two years before they see the first check.

On the other hand, the PFD's get spent almost as soon as they are recieved to buy snowmachines, fourwheelers, TV and the list goes on. Oh and a week of partying for others...
One of our state reps from POW tried to introduce legislation to that effect some years ago...would have been a good idea, I think.

I can't remember exactly what year it was but I know it was before my son was born so it was in the early 80's...second year of the PFD when it was $1000. It was before the residency requirements got as strict as they are and all people had to do was be here six months and they would get it. There was a big deal in the Ketchikan paper about a family with 13 or so children who moved up, got the money, and then moved back to the lower 48 the next week.

I admit to feeling kind of sickened every fall when the commercials come on advertising sales et al where people can blow their checks...on the other hand I guess it helps the local economy. I truly do believe though that something should be in place for minors...such as their PFDs being put in trust funds until they are of legal age.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 AM

41 posts, read 85,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarrazz View Post
Looks like trying to put 3 letters in the right order was enough to confuse you!

Haha I knew I'd get that wrong, i looked at the person above me to check, apparently I'm not the only one!

And while I would LOVE to come back here if and when we get out of the service, i may have a tough time convincing the hubby I think i'll just not worry about it at all. seems easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska