Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 24,252 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to the Malta area soon (part of the Global Foundries employees moving from Texas). I've spent hours reading on this forum - thanks for all that has already been offered, it has been so helpful! A few more questions:

1. My husband will work in Malta, but we are willing to commute about an hour or so if necessary. We are hoping to find a home with land, even something close to a farm. We've been in the suburbs too long and would like a house that has character and isn't at all cookie cutter. Can anyone suggest the best areas to consider for what we are looking for? Or areas to stay away from?

2. We are homeschooling now. I assume this is a long shot, but does anyone know about homeschooling in the Malta/Saratoga Springs area? Any info at all about this would be greatly appreciated.

3. We are Catholic and tend toward the more traditional side of things. Anyone know of a parish that offers the Latin Mass or is considered more traditional than modern?

Thanks for any advice offered. I've already learned a lot from this forum and am happy to see how friendly and helpful people have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Check out Saratoga: Schuylerville, Quaker Springs areas.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:52 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Malta is a nice area and we lived in Ballston Spa for a year. The closer you get to Saratoga, the higher the price of land will go up. I can't think of any areas to avoid, other than the urban areas of Albany. There's a lot of Catholics in the area but I'm not sure about Latin Mass.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 AM

57 posts, read 162,876 times
You actually might be able to find land in malta, it's not too busy..

But if you really are willing to drive, you can also think Glens falls offshoots Fort Edward and Fort ann, you can get houses on multiple acres..

but malta might be just find to find a home w/ land before everyone else gets here!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here's a church in Schenectady that has mass in Spanish: St. Anthony's Church

and here is a church in Troy that has the only traditional Latin mass in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany: St. Joseph's Church-Troy, New York

I hope this helps...

Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM

267 posts, read 971,668 times
Home schooling info:
Saratoga, New York (NY) Local Homeschool Support Groups - Local Homeschool.com

Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 24,252 times
Thanks for all of the replies. We're really excited about this move and all of the information on this forum has been helpful in alleviating many of my concerns.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
another place to check out is Stillwater.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,717 times
Default New York Born and Bred...BY CHOICE!!

You are going to love Malta! You do need a car to get around the Capital District area but you are close to many good areas to travel. Saratoga has a live all of its own especially in the summer..you have the horse racing, the Saratoga Springs Spa, downtown Saratoga shopping etc. You are also not far from Fort Ann where the Water Park is located and Glens Falls where there is good malls and shopping. Malta is a small town atmosphere but is very pretty and has good access to many other close by areas. We are south of Malta in the Rensselaer County town of East Greenbush. My husband and i are city folk from the Big Apple but we have chosen to relocate and raise our children(who are now adult age and living on their own in New York City) in a residential and "green" area not located in but close to Albany.
You chose a good area to live in. Good luck with your new home. Driving on the Northway is creative during the winter months but you will get used to the traffic. Also, Clifton Park is not too far away or Schenectady. ENjoy. SK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area