Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 11,686 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm planning to move to Schenectady from Delaware and I will like some info in where are the good places to live in Schenectady, close to all types of public transportation, and Hospital. If is possible will like to know the rent prices per area and where is the place for pet friendly since I have two dogs.

I'm looking for 3 bedrooms anything low ground tire of stairs if possible a duplex or single house or apt that accepts animals, this is crucial.

Also how is the job market? especially for Insurance biller and Pharmacy Tech.

I will appreciated any info with blessings Thank You so Much for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM

93,840 posts, read 124,582,792 times
This is a good place to start: Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes

http://www.dailygazette.com/classified/

Ellis Career Opportunities

Pharmacy Technician job - CVS/pharmacy - Schenectady, NY | Indeed.com

If you want the city of Schenectady, I'd probably look in the Union Street area up and into Niskayuna

Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM

188 posts, read 277,318 times
Schenectady is not a place to live, too much crime and low paying jobs.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Also, to the OP, are you willing to look into nearby cities? I only ask because I believe that I saw some more relevant openings in the surrounding area. Pharmacy Technician jobs in Schenectady, NY - Indeed Mobile

insurance billing jobs in Schenectady, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,851,745 times
Live in Niskayuna, not Schenectady. Guyanese is correct.

If you search this forum, there are a few similar threads and they all turn into an argument between people who think Schenectady is an ok place to live and those who think realistically and are in their right mind who know Schenectady is nothing great.

But then again, I never understood why people would want to live in Delaware.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM

256 posts, read 489,158 times
In Schenectady the best place to live is the stockade. It's an area near the Mohawk River and Schenectady County Community College, above State Street. It's a very historical district, walkable, pet-friendly and, like most of the city, affordable. The neighborhood is also close to many bus lines, the Amtrak Train Station, two or three parks, and Ellis hospital (1.5 Miles away)

There are a pretty good amount of rentals available according to this website: Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
I'd say a 3 Bedroom would run you about $1200 or more a month. Could be more or less. Just giving you an idea.

As other people have said, if you're not dead-set on living in the city itself, Niskayuna is a nice place to live, it's also very close to the hospital and has more of a suburban feel (if you don't mind that). Also right across the river is a cute town called scotia that is very close to the city.

My advice though is don't be discouraged if you can't find many 3BR Aparmtents. They always come up in a week or two.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Thank you so much for the info so I can start searching, I appreciated it.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Here's another neighborhood that is popular in Schenectady: Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

Upper Union Street, Schenectady NY - YouTube

http://uniontriangle.org/
Pretty Apartments

Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Very truth I don't recommend Delaware for no one reason I want to move out

Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,851,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzy5 View Post
Very truth I don't recommend Delaware for no one reason I want to move out
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what's even in Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area