Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 AM

135 posts, read 548,244 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how terrible the commute is between Saratoga Sprs ane Albany on the Northway. What would be a normal time to drive from SS to the Siena College area at, say, 7:00 am? The return trip at 5 pm?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Default Traffic Cameras

You might find this sight useful to check the traffic at various times:
http://www.timesunion.com/traffic/

Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM

41 posts, read 160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
I keep hearing how terrible the commute is between Saratoga Sprs ane Albany on the Northway. What would be a normal time to drive from SS to the Siena College area at, say, 7:00 am? The return trip at 5 pm?

Thanks!
If all goes well and you hit it right you should be able to make in 45 min. or less each way. If not add about 15-20 min to the trip. Adjusting your start time by as little as 5 min can make all the difference in the world. Friday nights are anyones quess with skiers and vacationers headed for the Adirondacks. I have made it from Wilton (north of SS) to the Port of Albany in less than an hour in moderate to heavy traffic. Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 AM

36 posts, read 191,404 times
Default My Northway Commute

What a nightmare. I drove to work on I-87, the Adirondack Northway, a few weeks ago. I got on at exit 14 in Saratoga Springs and got off at exit 6 near the Albany airport. I was working at a company on British-American Boulevard off of Route 7 in Latham.

I haven't had to use the Northway to commute to work in quite a few years. In fact, the last time I used it to get to work was in 2000 when I lived near exit 8.

I was amazed at how many cars had only one person in them. In the five days that I drove on the Northway, I only saw one car with two people or more in it on the way to work. Doesn't anybody carpool? With the price of gasoline so high and the Great Recession gripping the country for the past year, I didn't expect to find traffic as usual on the Northway.

I think I saw one bus too. I know that there must be more buses somewhere, but I only saw one. Maybe it was just the time I was commuting. I left my house around 6:55 am to be at work in Latham by 8:00 am.

There has got to be a better way. I still can't understand how the Northway comes to a complete halt around exits 9, 8A and 8. I know that there are a lot of cars entering the roadway at 9, 8A and 8, but they are entering the right hand lane. Why doesn't the left lane and center lane keep moving?

I'm assuming that since I am stopped and all the cars that I can see in front of me are stopped, that some car ahead of me that I can't see and is "leading the pack" down the Northway, has come to a complete stop. Why? How can that be?

There are no traffic lights, stop signs, yield signs, pedestrian crossings, or anything else to cause a car to come to a complete stop. It just doesn't make sense.

I would love to spend a morning in a helicopter and look down on "the mess." Maybe then I could get a better understanding of what is happening. I have heard that the twin bridges crossing the Mohawk river present some sort of an optical illusion to some drivers. That could explain some of the slow down. I also know from experience that there is a hill after crossing the Mohawk and that most cars lose speed going up the hill because their drivers fail to accelerate to compensate.

I have come to the conclusion that it is just incompetent drivers causing the problem. People who, among a lot of other things, won't keep right and pass left. Some will just sit in the left hand lane, not passing anyone and clogging traffic. People who can't be bothered to use a turn signal. People who still talk on their cell phones while driving. Here is a link to the website of the Car Talk guys (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Drive-Now/ - broken link) that you have probably heard on the radio. Their website has a wealth of information about why you should not talk on the phone, hands-free or not, while you are driving a car. It's incredibly dangerous.

I was also surpised at how fast people were driving. The speed limit is 65. If you drive 65, even in the right hand lane, people are whizzing by you at 75, 80 or 85 miles an hour. What's the rush? Seventy is a nice comfortable speed. Your chance of having an accident at 75 and 80 miles per hour is greater and the higher speed makes the results of the accident deadlier. Slow down and live.

I thought by now, near the end of the first decade of the 21st century, that more employers would allow more employees to work from home. If people worked from home two days a week, that would cut down on traffic on the Northway by 40% on any given day. No more painfully slow, stressful commute.

There would be less stress, less accidents and theoretically, cheaper insurance rates because you are driving your car fewer miles. You would spend a lot less money on gasoline and wear and tear on your car. Even if the price of gasoline is high, you won't need to buy as much. I drive an old Honda Accord. My commute was 39 miles each way. I burned quite a bit of fuel to get back and forth. The job that I was doing was hands on. I was physically connecting and disconnecting equipment. It wasn't something that I could do from home.

Many people work on a computer when they get to work. With broadband cable or DSL, inexpensive computers and cheap phone calls, you should be able to do the same job working from home. Everybody wins. If you want, for $50 you can setup a camera on your computer so your boss can actually see and talk to you when it is necessary.

I hope I don't have to make that commute again any time soon.

John Tedder's Random Notes

Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntedder View Post
I was also surpised at how fast people were driving. The speed limit is 65. If you drive 65, even in the right hand lane, people are whizzing by you at 75, 80 or 85 miles an hour. What's the rush? Seventy is a nice comfortable speed. Your chance of having an accident at 75 and 80 miles per hour is greater and the higher speed makes the results of the accident deadlier. Slow down and live.
The Northway isn't so bad if you had to drive the Garden State Parkway to work! It is also known as the Garden State Parking Lot.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
There is a bus that goes from a Park and Ride in Clifton Park to downtown Albany. Great if you work downtown, useless if you work anywhere else as there is only one bus a day from the Exit 8 and 9 Park and Rides to most other places including SUNYA and the State Campus.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 AM

36 posts, read 191,404 times
Default The Garden State Parkway

Ellwood, I actually have driven to work on the Garden State Parkway!

I didn't like that either. I'll take the Northway any day. At one time late in the last century, I commuted from Allentown, NJ to Union, NJ. I started out on a dirt road! I got on the New Jersey Turnpike at 7A and drove to exit 11 where I got on the 6 lane GSP.

Going home on a Friday night in the summer was a bummer. Everyone was trying to get to the New Jersey shore. It became a five lane parking lot on many a Friday night.

I think with a little more carpooling and more people working from home, the big jam ups on the Northway can be eliminated.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 AM

63 posts, read 152,047 times
People in the Albany area complain about this drive, because it's the worst traffic the area has to offer. I lived in the Boston Metro area for 3 years, and the Northway rush-hour traffic is a cake-walk compared to that. It does get a bit slow, but I think RoadBoss nailed it... during peak rush hour, add 15-20 minutes for the slow-down. On a 45 minute drive, if that's the worst it gets, I think that's not bad. It's all a matter of perspective. Around Albany, many folks still expect light traffic all the time, as if we were all living in the country. We're a small metro area, the Northway is the worst we have, and it's still nothing compared to big-city traffic.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locolady View Post
People in the Albany area complain about this drive, because it's the worst traffic the area has to offer. I lived in the Boston Metro area for 3 years, and the Northway rush-hour traffic is a cake-walk compared to that. It does get a bit slow, but I think RoadBoss nailed it... during peak rush hour, add 15-20 minutes for the slow-down. On a 45 minute drive, if that's the worst it gets, I think that's not bad. It's all a matter of perspective. Around Albany, many folks still expect light traffic all the time, as if we were all living in the country. We're a small metro area, the Northway is the worst we have, and it's still nothing compared to big-city traffic.
I think for the size of the Albany metro, the traffic on the Northway is unacceptable.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Some people have no problem with it. Personally I could never do it. I was thankful every single day when I was taking 90 West and 87 North to work and all the traffic was on 90 East and 87 South. And then on the way home from work 90 East was a breeze while 90 West was always a traffic jam.

I would not advise anybody to do the Saratoga/Albany commute. But some people have no problem at all with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area