Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybrj View Post
I was not a fan of black flies in the Adirondacks! To each his own- I know I'll never live in NY again.
Usually the black flies show up for two weeks. For the past three years we haven't seen any, at least not in our area (Saratoga).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 02:18 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times
You might want to consider Flagstaff, AZ. The average temperature in January is 29, max high is 42 low 15. In August the average temperature is 64, max high 79 low 49. They have four distinct seasons, and there's plenty of things to do and places to see in Arizona. There's also Prescott, Payson, and Show Low to consider, Show Low is similar to Flagstaff while Prescott and Payson are a little warmer and receive less snow. People are out and about just about year round in these places. The snow doesn't usually stick around for too long, and the storms are not that frequent. The cost of living is cheap. Although I'm not sure but I would think that there would always be a demand for your husband's services just about anywhere there is a hospital no matter where you choose to live.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-01-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 04:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
I grew up in Colorado & moved to upstate NY when I was 20. I find, even after all these years (30+), that NY winters are much harsher than CO winters. The humidity in winters here really finds a way to slither in between all your layers of clothing. The dry environment of CO doesn't seem to do that. And the ice!!! Yes, CO sure gets its share, but NY ice is relentless. Many of my friends love it in NY; they are the rugged outdoor types. I'm a wimp & exploring my options south.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,019 times
You know it's a roll of the dice. Winter of 2011-12 I didn't use my snowblower at all, not even once. 2012-13 was kinda average. This past winter suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. It's the other 3 seasons that make it worthwhile.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM

128 posts, read 168,348 times
I'm from northern NJ and recently lived in the Capital Region for 6 years before moving back to northern NJ. I love 4 seasons and have been an avid skier my entire life but absolutely hated upstate NY winters. As others have said, the incredible lack of sunshine and the constant cloudy, gray, dismal, depressing skies for half te yearr is beyond miserable. Winters also start two weeks earlier up there and end two weeks later which made for an extra month of winter which is way, way too long. Winters in northern NJ (especially last winter) are no picnic but they are much less dismal and depressing than upstate NY winters. After last winter, we have been talking a lot about snowbirding in retirement. Like a lot of people, the older I get, the less I like winter. In retirement, my hope is to enjoy some winter up here in Nov, Dec and Jan, have the Holidays, get the tree down, put the decorations away, do a little skiing and snowmobiling up in VT and then head south for Feb, Mar, and April and play golf and boat for three months beforing comng back home around May 1. I still like a little winter, it's just way too long for me...especially so in upstate NY.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
I'm from northern NJ and recently lived in the Capital Region for 6 years before moving back to northern NJ. I love 4 seasons and have been an avid skier my entire life but absolutely hated upstate NY winters. As others have said, the incredible lack of sunshine and the constant cloudy, gray, dismal, depressing skies for half te yearr is beyond miserable. Winters also start two weeks earlier up there and end two weeks later which made for an extra month of winter which is way, way too long. Winters in northern NJ (especially last winter) are no picnic but they are much less dismal and depressing than upstate NY winters. After last winter, we have been talking a lot about snowbirding in retirement. Like a lot of people, the older I get, the less I like winter. In retirement, my hope is to enjoy some winter up here in Nov, Dec and Jan, have the Holidays, get the tree down, put the decorations away, do a little skiing and snowmobiling up in VT and then head south for Feb, Mar, and April and play golf and boat for three months beforing comng back home around May 1. I still like a little winter, it's just way too long for me...especially so in upstate NY.

Very much agree about the gray sky in winter, a few more winters like this one . . . We've also been discussing the snowbird retirement. Love Thanksgiving and Christmas in NY but after that, we wouldn't mind skipping the snow, cold and gray. Have you given any ideas as to whether you'll buy or rent and if you rent will you change locations for some variety?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:38 AM

see quoted message below

Last edited by nebloke; 06-06-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Very much agree about the gray sky in winter, a few more winters like this one . . . We've also been discussing the snowbird retirement. Love Thanksgiving and Christmas in NY but after that, we wouldn't mind skipping the snow, cold and gray. Have you given any ideas as to whether you'll buy or rent and if you rent will you change locations for some variety?
Yea we love the Fall and Holidays in the northeast but by the middle of January, if not sooner, I'm done. We own a condo on the gulf in Alabama that we intend to snowbird to. It's rented out the rest of the year. We also have land in VT with a camper and some out buildings on it now and would love to build a small house on it some day for year round getaway use but the taxes there are brutal and will likely make that thought cost prohibitive, especially in retirement. Given the choice between the two, I would keep the warm weather condo to snowbird to and get rid of the property in VT.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
So how do you manage? alcohol and DVD's

What do you do with kids? Wii

Can kids play outside in the winter months? Only if they aren't hooked to their video games
How quick can you get back out on the streets after a snow storm? sometimes it's two days
Do people just sort of stay in and chill or is there still a lot of activity? We go out to get things done but staying in is cheaper and we're not partiers/go out

Do you find yourself stuck at home often? seven months of the year

And don't forget black fly season, I'm bit to death........

Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

355 posts, read 390,597 times
Upstate/Wny winters are worst then other places. That's why I said goodbye to the concrete sky's. After awhile the other there seasons didn't make it worthwhile anymore. Unless you're an avid (winter) outdoors person deffentantly not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area