Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Troy safe?
Very safe 0 0%
Moderately safe 4 36.36%
Moderately unsafe 3 27.27%
Dangerous 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,847 times

Advertisements

Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully this can be a civil and informative discussion. I'm moving to Troy, specifically right off 40 kind of above Frear Park. Among my group of friends/family all over the country many, if not every person, has expressed a great deal of fear and concern given Troy's reputation, and, as I have been informed and emailed, crime stats. I am trying to understand and weigh this information evenhandedly. It's not that I had no idea what Troy's reputation was like, but the outpouring of anxiety and warnings has got me a little nervous. My question is: is Troy safe? And, importantly, for people who know the area, is the location I'm moving to in a safer or less-safe area of the city?

Thank you so much in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
North of Oakwood Ave. is safe and even the townhouse and apartments on side streets to the south are safe. When you go down Oil Mill Hill, near the Corliss Park projects or the MLK projects further in it get bad fast.

Generally, above 15th St and Burdette Ave are safe. Below them, move at your own risk.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 9,689 times
can someone who reallly really knows Troy, tell me the name of the safest neighborhoods in Troy. Not the streets please, give me the names of the safest neighborhoods.. thanks all

Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 AM

Sycaway and Albia are safe. Although I hate to say anything is safe and then have a murder happen there. South Troy, North Central and Lansingburg are dangerous. Around RPI is ok but it's a student area.

Others might think differently or have different tolerances for danger.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 AM

93,244 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Sycaway and Albia are safe. Although I hate to say anything is safe and then have a murder happen there. South Troy, North Central and Lansingburg are dangerous. Around RPI is ok but it's a student area.

Others might think differently or have different tolerances for danger.
Is Lansingburgh that bad or does it depend on where you are, as it is a pretty big neighborhood?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Lansingburgh that bad or does it depend on where you are, as it is a pretty big neighborhood?

In my book, any neighborhood where the residents put up a memorial for a thug cops killed after he had carjacked a car and then shot a cop, and then protest when the cops take the memorial down, is a bad neighborhood.

I certainly couldn't sleep at night telling someone it was safe to live there.

For me Lansingburgh is the area north of 102nd St., between the river and the old railroad tracks. There might be pockets of safety in it but they're too off the beaten path to see.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
In my book, any neighborhood where the residents put up a memorial for a thug cops killed after he had carjacked a car and then shot a cop, and then protest when the cops take the memorial down, is a bad neighborhood.

I certainly couldn't sleep at night telling someone it was safe to live there.

For me Lansingburgh is the area north of 102nd St., between the river and the old railroad tracks. There might be pockets of safety in it but they're too off the beaten path to see.
Here's a neighborhood map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy,_New_York#Geography

Neighborhoods

It appears that the further north/NE in the neighborhood, the better. It is a pretty big neighborhood. So, I don't know if that is something that is pervasive throughout the whole neighborhood as well. Lansingburgh Schools cover not only this area of Troy, but areas outside of city limits and that is the same for the Troy City SD. If that map is right, this is also in Lansingburgh: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7777...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7762...7i13312!8i6656

It seems to be the same with South Troy as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-04-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's a neighborhood map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy,_New_York#Geography

Neighborhoods

It appears that the further north/NE in the neighborhood, the better. It is a pretty big neighborhood. So, I don't know if that is something that is pervasive throughout the whole neighborhood as well. Lansingburgh Schools cover not only this area of Troy, but areas outside of city limits and that is the same for the Troy City SD. If that map is right, this is also in Lansingburgh: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7777...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7762...7i13312!8i6656

It seems to be the same with South Troy as well.
Nice map. I grew up on Centerview Dr. which it places in Frear Park. Along with Parkview, 23rd and 24th, there were quite a few RPI professors who lived there. We always thought we were Sycaway. Canal St. was always the border of South Troy. In those days I don't think there was a North Central or Eastside. The East Side was Albia. North Central was just some area that wasn't downtown or Lansingburgh. The traction company buses, their route signs were also the neighborhood names or became them.

So getting back to the safety issue, I say Frear Park, Sycaway, the Eastside except for an area formed by connecting a line from Burdette to Spring (approximately) are safe as far as any place in upstate cities are safe. If you really value safety, or are scared easily depending on how you look at it, live in Brunswick or North Greenbush.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Nice map. I grew up on Centerview Dr. which it places in Frear Park. Along with Parkview, 23rd and 24th, there were quite a few RPI professors who lived there. We always thought we were Sycaway. Canal St. was always the border of South Troy. In those days I don't think there was a North Central or Eastside. The East Side was Albia. North Central was just some area that wasn't downtown or Lansingburgh. The traction company buses, their route signs were also the neighborhood names or became them.

So getting back to the safety issue, I say Frear Park, Sycaway, the Eastside except for an area formed by connecting a line from Burdette to Spring (approximately) are safe as far as any place in upstate cities are safe. If you really value safety, or are scared easily depending on how you look at it, live in Brunswick or North Greenbush.
What about the Pleasantdale and Speigletown communities north of the city, which essentially look like old, rural suburbia? Both are in the town of Schaghticoke, if I'm not mistaken.

I found out that the western third of Brunswick is in the Lansingburgh, Troy or Averill Park SD's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunsw..._Districts.png

I also found out that after 8th grade, that kids in the Wynantskill Union Free SD can go to either Averill Park, Tamarac(Brunswick), Columbia(East Greenbush), Troy or Tech Valley for high school.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-05-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,977 times
I have never until recently live in Troy, I have lived in Latham then out in Pittstown. I have been now living in Lansingburg or some Call it North Troy now a few months. I will be honest at night it does seem a bit scary. I honestly don't feel comfortable walking to the local Stewart's alone when I walk out my door and hear a herd of people yelling, then look up the street and see a group of people walking down the middle of the road like they are looking for trouble. I have never had any one bother me ever but it's that uneasy feeling knowing people have nothing better to do then wonder around looking for God knows what. I will say this...I listen to the police scanner all the time and 90% of the calls are coming from the South Troy area. Just in the past week I have heard calls from that area of someone breaking into houses with a knife. Someone broke in and robbed a family in their sleep. A woman called that someone was breaking in through the window. There is more crime coming over the scanner for south Troy then North Troy. I know there has been times crime has defiantly happened here to. There is going to be crime no matter where you live. What I always told my kids unless your at the movies you need to have your butt home by 9-10 anything after that wondering around your just looking for trouble. So when I go out at 10pm and see a group of 8-10 teenagers and young adults I know they are wondering for trouble and steer clear so you don't become their trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area