Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 10,454 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about making the move from Queens, NY (where I've lived for my whole life of almost 30 yrs) to Albuquerque. For the past few years, I've been dying to move somewhere out west because of a yearning for more open space a closer proximity to nature and truly beautiful natural settings. I've done a lot of research on different cities and Albuquerque is somewhere I'm now highly considering (Denver was as well, before I heard about the pit-bull ban).

I want to know, how hard do you think it will be for myself and my boyfriend to obtain jobs once we're there? I have nonprofit administrative/customer-service experience (and a BA in English which doesn't really mean much ), and he has experience as a telecommunications technician (and also some customer service).
I'd have enough money saved up for only about 3 or 4 months, and I'm wondering if i should plan on waiting longer than that in order to get a position.

Also, what neighborhoods would be suitable to look into if we're looking to rent a 1 bedroom apt. in a safe, quiet area for under $1000 (that allows our cute little pit as well)? Is this something we're easily going to find?

Sorry one more- do you think we will definitely need car?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
Wow, you will be in for a huge culture shock! A good one, though! I don't have any info for you on jobs. The best thing to do is to start doing internet job searches if you haven't already. Some companies will do interviews via Skype if you live across the country. If anything, it would give you an idea of what's available. It would be great if at least one of you could have a job lined up before you get here. If that doesn't happen, I'd suggest having at least 6 months of living expenses saved up.

You may have more than 3 months saved already, because your living expenses will be much lower than what you may be anticipating. A nice one bedroom apartment won't cost $1000 a month. Here's a thread from last year about finding apartments while having a Pit Bull that you might find useful:

Apartments in Abq that allow pitbulls???

If you want to get around and enjoy nature (go up in the mountains, go camping, etc..) you would need a car. While there are parts of the city you could live in without a car, it's best to have a car out here if at all possible. Our public transportation is not like New York's public transportation.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 AM

366 posts, read 869,928 times
For $1000/month you could rent a decent 2/3 bedroom house in the heights. You shouldn't have any trouble affording an apartment. Many of your expenses are likely to go way down, but transportation will go up, you will need at least one car unless you can get lucky enough to live near your job or both your job/house are on one of the few quick transportation routes, and if you want to go anywhere else around the city you will need that car.

Also expect to be paid less. Not knowing your exact skills, we have Qwest and Comcast out here that you could look at. We also have a lot call centers customer/tech support, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint come to mind immediately. Sitel is an outsourcer I don't know who they support right now, but that is another one. The jobs are horrible for someone with a college degree, but one of them is usually always hiring and if you have customer service experience and are competent it is easy to get a job, they are good places to get a pay check and kill your soul while you look around.

Try applying and checking out the jobs and the salaries. Not sure what salary you are now or what you are expecting, but that way you won't be surprised.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Default so far 2 good replies

lobo, I'll check out that pit-bull forum page. And I thought that might be true about needing to have a car.

ralthor, thanks for the company ideas -and what exactly are "the heights"?

please keep the suggestions coming!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM

366 posts, read 869,928 times
Sorry the heights are the North East section of town. In making broad generalizations the further North East you go in Albuquerque the nicer things get. It is (again generalizing) considered the safest part of town with the better schools and the area one would probably consider the most desirable part of town for your average American family.

The mountains are to the East so the further East you go the closer to hiking trails you are. That said you may be more interested in Downtown / nob hill / UNM area since it sounds like you don't have kids and you are use to a denser area with more transit options.

It sounds like you haven't been to Albuquerque before, you will definitely want to come and stay for a week, maybe job hunt or set up some interviews, but make sure you get a feel for the area before you change everything.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
That said you may be more interested in Downtown / nob hill / UNM area since it sounds like you don't have kids and you are use to a denser area with more transit options.
Some will try to portray this area as being somewhat more dangerous and less civilized than the South Bronx circa 1979. Ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
It sounds like you haven't been to Albuquerque before, you will definitely want to come and stay for a week, maybe job hunt or set up some interviews, but make sure you get a feel for the area before you change everything.
This is good advice. If you can not or don't want to visit first, try to find a place with a six-month lease so you have time to explore the city and its options before getting into a longer term lease.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 PM

995 posts, read 2,729,677 times
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and spent my entire life in the North East. If you never been to the southwest, it will be a complete culture shock. My suggestion to you would be to spend a few days out there and get a feel for the environment before you dive in head first.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 AM

11 posts, read 27,694 times
For 2010, New Mexico is the 2nd most dangerous state in the country.
Good paying jobs are hard to come by here. 19% of the population lives at or below the poverty line.
Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhemmer View Post
For 2010, New Mexico is the 2nd most dangerous state in the country.
Good paying jobs are hard to come by here. 19% of the population lives at or below the poverty line.
Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

Wow- I didn't realize this. I'll have to read through that article.
I do understand people's advice saying I should try to visit first. This does make sense, but I guess I just really want to leave. Also, I have been to the southwest before, so I do know that it is very different from the northeast, and that is why I want to go there. But I think I will at least maybe give it some more time, (and also think about some other possible places), before I go, so that I can also have more money saved up in the case that I can't find a job for while. thanks for the suggestion of arizona too - I'll look into that.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,808 times
LisaD -

I'm probably about ten years older than you are, also a Queens girl (went to Francis Lewis HS). Don't let the crime stats scare you. NM is a big, big state with a population that is smaller than Queens'. There is crime, but there's crime everywhere. Nevada is number one on that list, does that mean people shouldn't move to/visit Las Vegas? Check out the neighborhood which you want to move to throughly. Without going block by block, broadly I would say stay away from SW Albuquerque, and you should be fine. From what I've seen so far (been here 2 years), there is a lot of meth in the rural areas, but if you're not involved in it, you don't have to worry about it.

Culturally, I think it's great here. Hiking, sunshine (lots of blowing sand, though), nature galore. The museums aren't world class like NY, but good exhibitions and lectures come through. Last week alone I went to the springs and awesome red rocks in Jemez, shopping for Indian pottery in Old Town Albuquerque, and hiked in the Petroglyphs. I've got a humming bird feeder hanging in my back yard, I see the occasional road runner. To me, NY was just work, work, work, live in a box surrounded by other people. I'm a teacher, so I don't make the kind of money that would let me really afford all NY has to offer. It just got to be too much of a hassle to do anything.

You will need a car, and jobs aren't plentiful out here. I also have a BA in English, and if I hadn't gotten a teaching degree, I am not sure I'd be working. You should really look into it before making the leap.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque