Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM

167 posts, read 598,512 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys! I am not feeling air blow out of the vents. The damper is not in it but feels like it is. I cant seem to figure out what could be wrong but have an AC guy coming tommorow. It going to be an expensive service call but I just dont know what else to do.

The air isnt blowing out, even on high. On low it does nothing at all. Previously, it has blown out hard enough to feel it when you put your hand close, what could be causing it do to do this???? Everything seems to be working fine, squirrel cage is going, pads are getting wet etc.... I dont know how to get to the inside of the damper or where the vents are. We checked all the breakers, and reset the electric....

I have windows cracked in every room in the house. The toilet paper does stick against the window however.... not sure how open the window should be?

If anyone can help me figure this out on my own and thus save an $85 service calll I would be so happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
Thanks guys! I am not feeling air blow out of the vents. The damper is not in it but feels like it is. I cant seem to figure out what could be wrong but have an AC guy coming tommorow. It going to be an expensive service call but I just dont know what else to do.

The air isnt blowing out, even on high. On low it does nothing at all. Previously, it has blown out hard enough to feel it when you put your hand close, what could be causing it do to do this???? Everything seems to be working fine, squirrel cage is going, pads are getting wet etc.... I dont know how to get to the inside of the damper or where the vents are. We checked all the breakers, and reset the electric....
Your blower motor has a fan belt, it may have come off.

Your blower motor may have failed.

You sure you were using the correct switch, sometimes they are not labeled? But typically they have three switches:

- Fan ON/OFF
- Fan Speed HIGH/LOW
- Water Pump ON/OFF

If you have "Fan ON/OF" turned off, then "Fan Speed HIGH/LOW" will have no effect, because the motor is off.

Dampers: Usually a slide in damper which shuts off air flow, and the usually rotating dampers above the furnace which rotate from "Summer" to Winter positions.

But if you had air flowing it should not be a damper issue.

Rich

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Two good sites which cover evaporative cooler maintenance:
H2ouse.org : Take Action : Evaporative Cooler Maintenance

University of Arizona - Swamp Cooler Maintenance

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-03-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your blower motor has a fan belt, it may have come off. ... [ ... other suggestions deleted ... ] ...
Rich, you forgot to mention the other possibility:

Sometimes, the NM giant desert centipede can sometimes go into cool, moist places and build a huge nest. After having a litter of babies, the huge pile of squirming insects can have a tendency to block the airflow.

Don't worry, as soon as the little centipedes are weaned and about 3" long, they will start to disperse and airflow should resume in the system.

The only problem after that is finding the "little lovlies" all over the house, in your shoes, in your bed, etc.

One of those geckos discussed in a different thread should solve that ( new ) problem.

---------------------------------------------

On a different subject, I was just reviewing the posts and found that I missed this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People think I'm crazy because I have not turned on my swamp cooler yet. ...
No. People think you are crazy because you ARE just stark raving ....

Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
One question mort, what do you use to cool up your home?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Don't worry, as soon as the little centipedes are weaned and about 3" long, they will start to disperse and airflow should resume in the system.
Strange you should mention that. Had a 6" Centipede on the ceiling in my office yesterdy. Had a 4" Centipede in the bathroom about two weeks ago. That makes four centipedes in this house in 10 years.

Had Central A/C installed last Summer.

Rich

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM

NO way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Centipedes are my WORST NIGHTMERE, EVER EVER EVER.........

THIS HAS GOT TO BE A SICK JOKE.......... I HOPE AND PRAY

Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM

but seriously, the belt is on and all appears to be fine. I have to have the guy come out, it just isnt working. Just got a check to reimburse me for my recent car break in, theft. I was looking forward to replacing my stolen nice leather purse but guess thats going to get the swamp cooler fixed....

Such is life in the big city.....................

Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
but seriously, the belt is on and all appears to be fine. I have to have the guy come out, it just isnt working. Just got a check to reimburse me for my recent car break in, theft. I was looking forward to replacing my stolen nice leather purse but guess thats going to get the swamp cooler fixed....

Such is life in the big city.....................
Sorry you are having such a rough time. The heat sure can make it miserable.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM

Ewwwwwwwwww,
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
ewwwwwwwwwwwww
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

thanks so much for the graphics, not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque