Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:40 PM

152 posts, read 319,428 times

Advertisements

This sounds like it could be a great plan. Let's hope they can eventually get more than 75 homeless people in the program like Mayor Berry plans to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
It's time to get over the fact that the Chavez era is over.

Yes, let's put them in housing. If you research the plan, you'd see that they also get services ( counseling, etc. ) but the main idea is that by removing them from the streets it redirects them to get these services and saves the city money so that they aren't winding up intoxicated in ER's, arrested for rather petty things that ultimately cost the city millions of dollars.

Yea Karma! Lets create more ghettos. Lets turn New Albuquerque into south Broadway. Serious this is a horrible plan. A waste of taxdollars because people never wanted to work even before the recession hit? It is nonsence. Freeloading is common in New Mexico, this adds to it.

Saving money? Saving 70 People out of over a thousand homeless in Albuquerque!

I'm being real. And Blunt, and sometimes thats what needs to be said. Who had anything even mentioning Marty Chavez?? Call me rude, I don't care.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM

152 posts, read 319,428 times
From what I heard on the news about this plan, the homeless people would be put into public housing. I don't think very much public housing or even housing that is completely low income exists in the really new and good areas of Albuquerque, such as the Far NE Heights, or the Westside (NW area). The homeless people will likely be put into older housing that is in older areas of town. Mayor Berry also said that this is not a free ride, and the homeless people in this program would have to participate and do their part, so I don't think we really need to worry too much about creating new ghettos and/or turning newer areas of town into South Broadway.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
A waste of taxdollars because people never wanted to work even before the recession hit? It is nonsence. Freeloading is common in New Mexico, this adds to it.
I don't think the mission of the program is to get these people to work. This problem existed long before the recession, and isn't going away on its own. Most of the homeless targeted by this program are extremely mentally ill or addicted. The point is for it to waste fewer tax dollars because preventive measures will be in place. ER visits and hospital stays are astronomically expensive - far more than providing shelter and preventive/supportive services. The chronically homeless drain a lot of resources, and this is an effort to decrease that drain, even if it does not make intuitive sense on the surface. Then there is the whole notion of compassion and caring - which I get the sense that you're not interested in, so I won't go there . Also bradly, this is not adding to freeloading. These people are already freeloading in a big way. It's an effort to use resources more wisely. It might work, it might not. I think similar models have worked in other areas of the world. It's not unlike methadone programs. Give addicts controlled doses of what their bodies and minds crave, and you eliminate the number of raging drug addicts and all the crime and disease that goes with it. Only in this instance you are giving the chronically homeless a little bit of support that they need, and this in turn helps the community as a whole.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan M View Post
From what I heard on the news about this plan, the homeless people would be put into public housing. I don't think very much public housing or even housing that is completely low income exists in the really new and good areas of Albuquerque, such as the Far NE Heights, or the Westside (NW area). The homeless people will likely be put into older housing that is in older areas of town. Mayor Berry also said that this is not a free ride, and the homeless people in this program would have to participate and do their part, so I don't think we really need to worry too much about creating new ghettos and/or turning newer areas of town into South Broadway.
Thats what they said about FHA, have you seen some parts of the West Side? They give people reduced mortages or sometimes even free homes and they trash them.

When you pay for your OWN stuff, thats when you "appreciate".

Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thats what they said about FHA, have you seen some parts of the West Side? They give people reduced mortages or sometimes even free homes and they trash them.

When you pay for your OWN stuff, thats when you "appreciate".
You keep talking about this as if these homeless people are "normal." You cannot compare chronically homeless with an average person, or even an average moocher. If you ever spent any amount of time with these people, you would see the differences. These are people who truly are on the fringe of society and have serious problems. You are comparing apples and oranges. Actually more like apples and ribeyes. I agree with your point about giving handouts such as reduced mortgages. Those kind of programs often backfire. There will always be people who take advantage of "the system," freebies, handouts, etc. Those people are lame. But IMO it is a different league when you are talking about someone with severe schizophrenia who is not in their right mind, and ever since deinstitutionalization these people have nowhere to go but the streets. They are not capable of caring for themselves and there is nothing in place for them, so they end up crowding shelters and hospitals, roaming the streets, and in general being perceived as a nuisance to society.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Well then I guess you do have a point.

But thanks for agreeing with me on FHA and reduced mortgages... this state doesnt seem to think its a problem.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Well then I guess you do have a point.

But thanks for agreeing with me on FHA and reduced mortgages... this state doesnt seem to think its a problem.
Thanks Bradly!

Yeah, this state does not seem to think a lot of problems are problems .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque