Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63
... not the cookie-cutter barrenness of some of the newer subdivisions.
I like the street layout there also.

There is enough of a grid pattern to know where you are, but enough
turns and 'T's' in the blocks to make things visually interesting.

I agree that the 'swoopy' 'windy' stuff that newer layouts have makes
every turn you make look the same when you only have 5-6 types of
houses in the subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't like shopping along San Mateo at night either, although I still do occasionally. I live much closer to San Mateo than the property under consideration and usually go to the Co-op or Sunflower Market on Lomas for nighttime shopping.

But I think barring an economic catastrophe to the city or country, the housing stock in Ridgecrest will remain desirable, there is a critical mass of high-quality housing there (including million-dollar homes) with character, not the cookie-cutter barrenness of some of the newer subdivisions. This combined with the prime location near thriving Nob Hill create a lot of interest in the area. Despite the economic downturn, Nob Hill seems to attract more business all the time, it is really hopping compared to just a few years ago. Ridgecrest is not "perfect" by any means, no place is, there are some neglected properties, but overall it shows that people take a lot of pride in their homes and the neighborhood.
If that neighborhood could be transplanted to a safer area of the city, I'd live there in a heartbeat. I love the neighborhood, but don't feel the overall surrounding area is safe -- There's too much riff-raff on the outliers of Ridgcrest.

ETA: Check out this crime map.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
If you hover your mouse over the Ridgecrest/Pershing area, it has a crime index of 29 (with 100 being the safest). Not good. Then look at the areas all around that spot. They are even worse. The area right next to it (VA Hospital) has a crime index of 0, and the Kirtland Addition has a crime index of 2.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
What they're calling the Ridgecrest/Pershing area is fairly large and includes some of the "student ghetto" and South San Mateo. You need more specific data for the actual "nice" part of Ridgecrest. There was a police officer who came to a neighborhood association meeting who said, ironically, that this was one of the neighborhoods with the lowest crime, next door to one of the neighborhoods with the highest crime (east of San Mateo). I can see the VA Hospital from in front of my house and haven't had any problems in the 11 years I've been here.

There is always a trade-off though. You can be safer if you don't mind living far away from everything. I prefer the convenience of being close to work and other activities, and the "riff-raff" of some of the neighboring areas don't really make a difference to me at this point in my life. I have lived in neighborhoods in other cities that make the crime even in the "bad" parts of ABQ look like small potatoes.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 AM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
If that neighborhood could be transplanted to a safer area of the city, I'd live there in a heartbeat. I love the neighborhood, but don't feel the overall surrounding area is safe -- There's too much riff-raff on the outliers of Ridgcrest.

ETA: Check out this crime map.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
If you hover your mouse over the Ridgecrest/Pershing area, it has a crime index of 29 (with 100 being the safest). Not good. Then look at the areas all around that spot. They are even worse. The area right next to it (VA Hospital) has a crime index of 0, and the Kirtland Addition has a crime index of 2.
That website does not utilize accurate, up-to-date data, places more emphasis on property crimes (as it simply adds up total crimes in an area, not per-capita rates) and uses "crimes per square mile" as its criteria.

In other words, an area such as the University Heights neighborhood with a high density level is going to have more crimes due to their being more people per square mile whereas the overall crime rate may be lower than other areas, especially suburbs with few crimes per square mile, but also fewer people. Just remember, you can always manipulate data as you see fit...

I don't think you can find me a comparison that shows the crime rate is significantly higher in ridgecrest than any other ABQ neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 58,017 times
Coming from the absolute worst part of Chicago, I doubt that I'll be fazed by the crime. But I do worry that folks' perception of the area will impact its future stability. Not to mention the owners accepted my lowball offer w/o countering.
Oh well, I've got my dream house. See you all soon!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
What I like most about Ridgecrest is the smell of grass. I've never lived in a house that had grass, but I love grass. Going up Carlisle near where it meets Ridgecrest Drive is a very pleasant experience for me. The smell of grass there during this time of year and into summer is great.

The overall lushness of the area and its many pocket parks no doubt is what makes it most desirable to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica View Post
Coming from the absolute worst part of Chicago, I doubt that I'll be fazed by the crime. But I do worry that folks' perception of the area will impact its future stability. Not to mention the owners accepted my lowball offer w/o countering.
Oh well, I've got my dream house. See you all soon!
Don't you think them not countering had more to do with the economy and state of real estate overall rather than the desirability of the neighborhood?

Most people in Albuquerque think of Ridgecrest as a nice place to live. I doubt that will ever change. It certainly hasn't changed in the approximately seventy years the neighborhood has existed.

Either way, I'm glad you will be moving to Albuquerque soon. I hope you'll end up loving the city, especially your new neighborhood!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Don't you think them not countering had more to do with the economy and state of real estate overall rather than the desirability of the neighborhood?

Most people in Albuquerque think of Ridgecrest as a nice place to live. I doubt that will ever change. It certainly hasn't changed in the approximately seventy years the neighborhood has existed.

Either way, I'm glad you will be moving to Albuquerque soon. I hope you'll end up loving the city, especially your new neighborhood!
The grass and trees certainly attracted me. That and the fact that its a wicked cool mid century modern house where all of its original fixtures have been meticulously maintained and the prior owner shared all of my hobbies and aesthetics! I'll definitely be happy there. So the hell w/ resale value, they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands in the end.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Love the area; I made an offer on a place on Santa Monica, but the owners were asking more than the appraised value. I wished them luck and bought elsewhere (which turned out to be a much better deal for me).

Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 PM

....and now I learn about tax "lightning". unbelievable. This is making me reconsider my dream home, as paying 50% more in taxes than my neighbors is pretty ridiculous. And I thought Chicago was bad...

Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica View Post
....and now I learn about tax "lightning". unbelievable. This is making me reconsider my dream home, as paying 50% more in taxes than my neighbors is pretty ridiculous. And I thought Chicago was bad...
Make sure you understand it completely.

What has the new legislation done?

What you gonna do? Move out of New Mexico?

50% more might be $600 per year? Or whatever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque