Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM

27 posts, read 58,017 times

Advertisements

Hi, newbie here.
I am moving to Albuquerque soon and have found the perfect house in Ridgecrest. However after reading about the "war zone" on this forum and discussing it w/ friends, I am concerned that this neighborhood is not desirable to the majority of residents and will decline in quality in the future. Will someone please tell me I'm wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM

350 posts, read 768,907 times
What part of Ridgecrest?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
What part of Ridgecrest?
x2..

that will make a HUGE difference.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
What part of Ridgecrest?
@ Pershing and Graceland. Is this even Ridgecrest?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
Yeah, that area is really nice. I don't think there's much chance of a home in that neighborhood declining in value - and the "war zone" to the east is not really all that bad and is improving every day. As for desirability, Ridgecrest is easily one of the most desirable in the city...

Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM

350 posts, read 768,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica View Post
@ Pershing and Graceland. Is this even Ridgecrest?
Yeah. Pretty decent part of the neighborhood - there are some neat houses back in there. As far as the "war zone," things don't get too spotty until you cross San Mateo.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 PM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
I jog through there all the time, it's one of the most pleasant areas in town, very well-constructed houses and nice landscaping with mature trees. People really take pride in their houses in that immediate area. Excellent location, hard to do better if you want to be near Nob Hill, UNM, Sandia Labs.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Thank you all so much. Wish me luck on the offer!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,925 times
I grew just a couple blocks away from your interested intersection. Yes, it is considered the Ridgecrest area. Overall the homes in the area have maintained their values quite well. A few years ago a family member drove by our old house and saw a "For Sale" sign in the front yard, so we looked it up online. We were very surprised to see that the high price for the home considering the market had turned. The condition inside the house looked great with some updates in the kitchen and central heat, but the outside looked horrible and there were bars on the windows. The grass was removed for rocks and the big pine trees were no longer there.

There was crime starting to move into the area before we moved, but it wasn't from neighbors. We had windows bashed out of cars, home break-ins in the area (not our home, but our car got broken into once), and there would be homeless people around Zuni & Washington. There was also some spillover of kids ditching school from Highland.

I still love driving through the area as it is beautiful, but I would not choose to live there again if I had a family. Those who live there with kids either home school or the kids go to private schools. I also would not want to go grocery shopping in the area at night. Up until 2 years ago my brother worked at a grocery store off of Zuni & San Mateo. The stories I heard about the crime were unnerving -- and I consider myself to be pretty independent and mostly fearless.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 PM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
I don't like shopping along San Mateo at night either, although I still do occasionally. I live much closer to San Mateo than the property under consideration and usually go to the Co-op or Sunflower Market on Lomas for nighttime shopping.

But I think barring an economic catastrophe to the city or country, the housing stock in Ridgecrest will remain desirable, there is a critical mass of high-quality housing there (including million-dollar homes) with character, not the cookie-cutter barrenness of some of the newer subdivisions. This combined with the prime location near thriving Nob Hill create a lot of interest in the area. Despite the economic downturn, Nob Hill seems to attract more business all the time, it is really hopping compared to just a few years ago. Ridgecrest is not "perfect" by any means, no place is, there are some neglected properties, but overall it shows that people take a lot of pride in their homes and the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque